1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hope Beltran is happy [NY Post]

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by NJRocket, Jun 2, 2005.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Hope Beltranis happy [NY Post]

I know its not an Astros article...but i figured most here would enjoy this... (i didnt post the link becuase u need to register now for NY Post

June 2, 2005 -- THE CENTER of the new Met universe went an understandable 0-for-4 Monday night in his first game back after missing eight with a bad quad. And Carlos Beltran, hearing boos, didn't get even a one-day pass.
    Of course, he refused himself one, too. Yesterday Beltran asked Willie Randolph to throw extra batting practice, a reflection of the dedication that emboldened Fred Wilpon to pay $119 million for a fine all-around player who has yet to put up super-duper-star production numbers and will have to hear about it for seven years if he does not.

Fair? Well, Beltran took the money, so he'll have to overcome the obligatory grief accompanying it. Otherwise, he goes on the long list of those who couldn't make it here — Javier Vazquez, seated in the Diamondback dugout during the 2-1 Mets win, registered as the latest.

"When guys come to a new environment, you trust they know how to handle it," said Randolph. "[Beltran] might naturally feel a little bit of [pressure], but you can't talk to someone about how to deal with that kind of thing. My experience is you let them find their own level."

Now, we just have to get a handle on what exactly Beltran's should be. He is the only player in history to hit 20 or more home runs, score and drive in 100-plus runs and steal more than 30 bases for four straight seasons. But Beltran, who is not batting third for the Mets to steal, has never driven in more than 108 runs or blasted more than 29 homers or hit better than .307, not that there would be anything wrong with all that if he wasn't making $17 million.

"The season I have is OK, but when I get healthy, 100 percent, I can produce more for this team offensively and defensively," said the center fielder, who went 1-for-3 last night with an RBI.

Good to hear that, better we should see it. The reason to like this Met signing better than any since Mike Piazza is that at least they were overpaying a player headed into his prime. So this is going to be a test not just of Beltran's maturity but also ours if he can't crank it up another notch or the Mets can't protect him long-term from the clean-up spot or, perhaps more relevant to his underachievement thus far, set a better table for him.

Jose Reyes led off last night with an infield single, stole second, went to third on the contact work of new two-hole hitter Miguel Cairo, and became Beltran's 26th RBI on his ground out. Reyes got to third virtually the same way in the seventh, but Beltran, who had doubled in the third, flied out, and more boos, however faint, were heard.

"Carlos is a quiet kid and very confident," said Randolph. "I don't know if he's thinking about his responsibility to carry the team, but eventually he'll get into a nice little grove and be where he should be."

You can't define that by the 18- to 20-homer, 75- to 80-RBI pace he is on now. But Beltran's .340 average with runners in scoring position is vastly superior to Cliff Floyd's, David Wright's and, you shouldn't be surprised to learn, Mike Piazza's, too.

"Our first couple guys' on-base percentage is not real high," said Randolph.

Piazza's 24 games hitting behind Beltran haven't helped either. Inevitably, the catcher will be dropped deeper in the order, just as Randolph addressed the second-base problem before Cairo pulled a hamstring last night.

Despite the promotional smoke, the "new" Mets aren't looking in any funhouse mirror at 27-26, instead seeing a clear reflection of what they are.

Other than the oldies Piazza and Tom Glavine, no veteran is seriously below career norms, so this team's chances at cranking enough offense to overcome their spotty pitching rests on the developing Reyes, Wright and Beltran.

Especially Beltran, for whom the Mets need better protection, both in the lineup and from our expectations.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Beltran will never live up to that contract w/ his regular season stats... simply because the reason he got it was for an unprecedented hot-streak in the playoffs over a span of 12 games, not for his career production thus far (if that were the case, his contract would have been around 70-80 million in this day and age).

The fans of NY have to realize that. He wasn't going to be a perennial 40 HR 120 RBI guy... he was going to play good defense (which hardly ever gets the credit it deserves), swipe a lot of bags (although he hasn't been doing that this year... is something wrong w/ his legs?), and be a tough out in the lineup (but not a Bonds/McGwire/Ruthian HR hitter).

The only players in the big leagues right now who are earning their huge contracts right now are Albert Pujols and Roger Clemens. I would also say A-Rod, but there's no way that any single sports athlete "deserves" what he's making... it was just a dumb-ass contract signed by that "hick" up north.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I gotta say...i realize hindsight is 20/20. and i realize we'd be a better team this season with carlos than without him. but when you think about that deal...man...i'm glad we didn't match it. i can't believe i'm saying that. but i'm dead serious.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Well, at least Beltran is putting up some stellar base stealing numbers.

1 Stolen Base
    2 Caught Stealing

Bravo Carlos, Bravo!

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I agree...we'd definitely be better with him on the team, but with that price tag, I think we can do better without him. I like having Willy in center and I'd rather use that money to fill in other pieces.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I seriously don't understand why he's only attempted 3 SB. Its as if just because the Mets are batting him in the 3 hole, he decides to play like some big lumbering power-hitting 3 hole hitter, instead of the natural god-given 5-tool talent that he is.

He better start using that speed now, or else he'll soon realize that as you get older, having good speed is as fleeting as the affection of NY fans.

7. MadMax

interesting. i remember RM95 said he wished, knowing what he knows now about Taveras, that we had never pursued Beltran.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Hindsight is a b****... but I just think even if we hadn't seen Tavares... if we had the opportunity to wait this long after the playoffs, the allure of Beltran would have waned enough to at least move away from the triple-digit salary #'s for him.

But, it was impossible... this city had just tasted playoff success for the first time in its baseball history, and he was doing things that NOBODY had ever done before. We were clouded by that... every team was (except maybe the Yankees)... and there was no way to escape it.

9. MadMax

exactly right. it's all hindsight, and RM95 admitted as such, too. i agree.

10. drapg

drapg Member

This article has put me in such a GREAT mood!!!! :D :D

11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Cashman is underrated as a GM.

12. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

He can't blame it on the team, the Royals sucked, and he put up good numbers.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I agree... he is.... but actually, I thought he wanted to go after Beltran, but the "boss" thought that getting Randy was a higher priority. Sure, they could have had both... but I think Steinbrenner wanted to make sure they at least got one for sure, and Randy was more accessible (and didn't have an ass as an agent).

Believe me... if Steinbrenner wanted Beltran, they would have made a bid for Beltran. I don't see the "cash" man being able to talk him out of that one.

14. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

I bet he is missing those Crawford boxes right about now.
    Whata jackazz.

15. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

My bottom line question on Beltran: Is he worth more than Albert Pujols ($14 million per year)? The answer is absolutely not and the Astros did well by not signing him. Too bad they got played by Boras until the last minute. They should have taken control of the situation and given Boras an early deadline for making a deal and cut off negotiations when it passed. Then they could have signed other players instead of being left out in the cold.

16. MadMax

agreed...i did say that at the time. i did not believe it was wise to pay him more than Pujols or Vlad. the mets overpaid.

17. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

18. l3igballer23

l3igballer23 Contributing Member

I actually hope he does well. I enjoy seeing talented players perform. He isn't a 40/120 guy, but he's certainly a 30/100 man.

19. raw10628

raw10628 Contributing Member

Anyone see his fabulous play today?:eek:

20. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Screw that. I'm not one to wish injury on anybody, but I wouldn't be unhappy if he tore an ACL or two.