1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Honor Killings in Pakistan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Major

Major Member

Did you even read the article? The 3rd line:

<b>Ahmad surrendered to police after the killings late Friday in Burewala, about 70 miles east of Multan, a main city in eastern Punjab province, Gul said.

"He [Ahmad] told us today that he has killed his daughters, and we arrested him," he said.
    </B>

Where do you get the idea this is legal? Do people who post about Islam even know anything about it?

2. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Oh ok, I understand your point. I would say though that you are confusing general Islam with Islamic fundamentalism (Salafism). Salafism is direct and to the point with no room for interpretation. Jihadists are included in this classification. This neo-fundamentalist movement spread as a reaction and resistance to colonialism.

However, very little in Islam itself is binding. There are the major basic tenets - belief in oneness of God, etc, but the rest of the religion is open to scholarly interpretation.

3. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I would point out that there are Buddhist sects whose practices are also more direct and less ambiguous. The Pure Land sect teaches that the chanting of Amitabha's name will allow one to be reborn in the Amitabha's Paradise. Nichorens teach that through chanting and meditation one can attain physical and material well being.

Islam like Buddhism and every major religion with a long history is very complicated and I would hesitate to stereotype another's religion as being simple.

4. neXXes

neXXes Member

Wait, I almost forgot... He can't feel humiliated if he doesn't understand the difference between islam and the 5% nation.

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It's not honorable that she committed adultery and that reflects poorly on the father. But, how is it honorable for the father to then turn around and kill not only the one step-daughter but also his own three daughters on the whim that they may also commit adultery some day? Or, how does it do anything to restore his honor?

Man, some people are just so f-ed up in this world! Yea...killing females is honorable. I would hate to have these thought processes where I can sit there and justify to myself how this is acceptable behavior by anyone regardless of race or religion. Then, he has absolutely zero remorse over any of it. The dude killed his own daughters who were innocent. It's freaking ridiculous. It's even more ridiculous that Pakistan apparently doesn't see it as much of a crime that requires anything more than monetary compensation in a lot of cases.

This guy doesn't deserve to go on living. Apparently, a lot of other Pakistanis don't deserve it, either, if they believe this is the right thing to do in these situations.

Yea...he's restored his honor. Idiot! Freaking idiot!!!

6. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Agreed, good post.

In this case, however, it seems like the authorities did act against the killer.