1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Honor Killings in Pakistan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Dec 25, 2005.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

This is horrible. Is this part of Islam? It seems to be fairly common, as noted by the last paragraph.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,179701,00.html
    Pakistani Father Slays 4 Daughters in 'Honor Killings'
    Sunday, December 25, 2005

MULTAN, Pakistan — A father, angry that his eldest daughter had married against his wishes, slit her throat as she slept and then killed three of his other daughters in a remote village in eastern Pakistan, police said Saturday.

Nazir Ahmad, a laborer in his 40s, feared the younger girls, aged 4, 8, and 12, would follow in their sister's footsteps, police officer Shahzad Gul said.

Ahmad surrendered to police after the killings late Friday in Burewala, about 70 miles east of Multan, a main city in eastern Punjab province, Gul said.

"He [Ahmad] told us today that he has killed his daughters, and we arrested him," he said.

Gul said the man's 25-year-old daughter, Muqadas Bibi, had married the man of her choice against her father's wishes some weeks ago. Ahmad contacted Bibi this week, saying he was ready to forgive her, Gul said.

During a visit by Bibi to her parents' house, Ahmad slit her throat as she slept and then killed the other three girls, Gul said. He said police were investigating whether other relatives helped in the killings and were also looking for Bibi's husband.

Gul said police are looking for Bibi's husband to inform him of her death.

Hundreds of women are killed in Pakistan every year, many by male relatives, after they are accused of staining their families' honor by having affairs or marrying for love without family consent.

2. bplld

bplld Contributing Member

It is very common, and there are much worse things going on because of the power of men in Islam. That guy will probably walk free.

3. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

chain them to the sink, and it won't be a problem.

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

What does this have anything to do with Islam? :rolleyes:

Maybe the culture of the country, but not Islam.

I guess Pakistanis can say that killing family members is a Christian thing. After all Yates did kill all of her kids! And I am sure that hundreds of family members are killed by their own family in the US.

Is that what Christianity is all about? How horrible!!!

5. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Hard to compare the isolated incident of Andrea Yates with the 100x per year incidents in Pakistan...

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

And what does Islam have to do with it?

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

That's what I asked in my original post. Are you Muslim? Can you provide me with an answer?

8. Major

Major Member

This includes crimes of passion, from what I interpret ("by having affairs").

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_04/offenses_reported/violent_crime/murder.html

In the US, there were a bit over 16,000 murders last year. Of those, at least 12% were killed by family members - or, 1920 murders. How many of those do you think were crimes of passion?

(This does not account for the 8000+ murders where the victim-murderer relationship is not known, and only includes crimes involving family members. Another ~4800 or so murders were done by acquaintences)

9. Major

Major Member

To add to this, husbands murdered 579 wives in the US in 2004. It seems to be fairly common. Is this part of Americanism?

10. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Lots of statistics, too bad none of them are applicable to this. Many flawed assumptions as well, such as your broad assumption regarding 'having affairs'. Way off there.

The difference is that in America, people kill people because they are angry. In Islamic cultures, they do this as well as kill family members because they are not virgins. Seems like an institutional problem to me. This isn't even bringing up Islam's horrific treatment of women in general.

11. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

By the way, attempting to rationalize hundreds of non-virgin family members being killed in Pakistan by citing US crime statistics is absurd.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is a major problem with fundamentalist Islam.

If Islam wants to be taken seriously they have to address this madness as a group.

DD

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

i think its a cultural problem in that region, not islam. india has the same problem.

14. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Completely agree. Killing your kid because she is not marrying someone you like is way overboard.

15. TMac640

ya gotta put them in line some how.

it's called tough love.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

LOL

Tough love them into the grave....

That is just sad !

DD

17. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

You can always count on certain characters showing up in certain threads, I see the usual suspects have chimed in.

Merry Christmas fellas! :)

18. TMac640

what can I say?

Tracy McGrady has an interest in politics and always providing an unbiased and enlightened perspective on the issues at hand.

Merry Christmas as well :]

19. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

No, no, I wasn't lumping you into the "usual suspects", they know who they are. :)

20. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Where in the article does it say these people are of the Islamic faith? I need to buy some people, "jumping to conclusion" mats.