1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Honey Badger to Sign with Texans!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by clutch citizen, Mar 16, 2018.

1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Watt was recruiting you on social media. Did he have anything to do with you coming here & O'Brien's role in getting you here?

Knew JJ a couple years. We share the same agent. I wanted to come to a group with guys who were hungry, a team with great potential & dominant on defense. I think I made the right choice.

First time meeting him was last night. Him wanting me here encouraged me.

Mentality towards football & your flexibility?

Try to put it all on the table & do whatever the coaches ask. Safety, Nickel or CB, I'm willing to do that.

Who gave you the nickname?

Still not sure where it came from. Started in college & stuck with me in the NFL.

Where are you at in your career?

I want to prove I'm one of the best safeties in the league. Had some setbacks/challenges. I had a great situation in Arizona. Team/players helped me a lot. I'm trying to come here with a clean slate & prove my point again.

What about this roster says they can turn around from 4-12?

QB position. Defensively, never played with a DL like they have here with Mercilus, Watt & Clowney. That played a part here.

Slam dunk coming here?

I tried to make the best decision for me & my family. Had other options on the table, more money but Texans were the best decision.

John Lucas role coming out of college?

Big role. Transitioning from college to NFL, he helped a lot.

How much pride in being a leader?

I try to lead by example, especially on the field. Off the field, trying to inspire the youth & help my community in New Orleans, Arizona & now here in Houston.

Instinct vs film study? Ed Reed a big influence?

Coming from Louisiana, you looked up to guys like Ed. Part is film study, other is going out there, letting your hair down & playing fast.

Did anything stick in your mind from the Texans game? Coming to a city where the baseball team is World Champions & basketball team is good. Did that play a part at all?

Great to be back in the South. I missed the food down here. Some great sports team. Texans have a lot of potential. I want to help this team win as many games as they can.

Why 1-year deal?

At this point in my career, getting released, I had to make a decision fast but one I was comfortable with. I'm closer to my family. I can't say it enough: I get to play with Clowney & Watt. I'm gonna have a lot of fun.

Romeo Crennel?

Excited. Never had a coach with his pedigree. Talking to him last night, he has some great ideas. We'll feed off each other. I want him to make me the best safety in the game & I think I can get to that point.

What did Pat Peterson mean to you?

Pat was instrumental for me. Big brother I never had. I leaned on him a lot. I'm coming to a new team. Maybe it's my time to be leader for a young guy. I'm gonna put my head down & go to work & let these guys feed off my energy.

Relocating during Katrina?

We went to a shelter outside of Alexandria, LA and then moved to Humble. We stayed there for 3 months & then went back home. Humble was a residence of mine.

Crazy your back in Houston?

I guess life comes back full circle.

How hard was it to leave Phoenix? Did you consider staying once they asked for a pay cut?

I did consider staying. It was hard leaving. A lot of great memories. I want to move forward & become a leader here in Houston.

Small in size but your hitting ability?

Everything I've been through. You put a chip on your shoulder & take it on the field. I try to play as if I have a point to prove & no one believes in me.

Relationship with Kareem or JJo?

Spoke to JJo. Kareem was a SEC guy. I'm sure I can learn a lot from those guys.

Where did Romeo or whoever say you'll play?

I believe I'll start at safety & then we'll see.

Jadeveon from a distance?

Fascinating to see his growth. I'm excited. Watched him play against us last year. He's dominant. Him & JJ on the field together at the same time, I'm gonna have fun in the back end.

What happened last year playing the most snaps after injury issues?

Never got injured until I got to the NFL. I leaned on vets. Guys showed me the ropes, learned some tricks. It kept me fresh. I felt I got better as the season went on.

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Badger should have been a Texan from day 1. Drafting DJ freaking Swearinger instead smh.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

[Removed]

12. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Definitely getting a 32

Fulgore likes this.
  13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Just call me JR

http://media.houstontexans.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2567

TheFreak and Fullcourt like this.
  14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Will be interesting how often Crennel plays him on the outside.

I think that's where he wants to play so he can get a big contract next year.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

Not sure about that. He specifically said he wants to be the best SAFETY. Not CB or even DB.

17. HstnSprtsFan101

Damnit I want to but that one year contract is making me hesitant. Got a feeling he'll stick around though :D:D

523744 and macho GRANDE like this.
  18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Ah cool. That's good

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

#199 J.R., Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This may be the first serious attempt to address the Safety position in the history of the franchise.