1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Home security company

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rimbaud, Mar 7, 2012.

1. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does anyone have experience with ay alternatives to the big companies like ADT and Broadview? I have had ADT in the past and it is fine but a huge ripoff. I was looking at things like Smith and Armour but there is little out there that provides good information. From what I understand they all use the same monitoring centers so it really is just about pricing, honesty of business model, etc.

Any experience good or bad would be appreciated.

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

For me Comcast is the cheapest. I keep my ISP and security with them and my TV from Uverse.

3. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

dont pay for any of the hardware, dont pay installation, and dont pay more than 30/month, and make sure you get their best package, sensors where ever you want them etc.

some of the larger companies have contracts with satellite/cable companies where they can lower your bill and make it seem as if you are getting security services for free

but really the monitoring service they provide is all the same

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

+1 on monitoring service is all the same.

I use Smith & Wesson - Houston.

If you need a system installed, make sure you get one installed that operates off of cellphone towers rather than land lines.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

www.simplisafe.com

I have this. I ordered it all myself, installed all myself, set up all myself, and have been very happy. It works, it's cheaper than the big guys, it is tech savvy, etc.

Email me through the board if you decide to use and perhaps we can both get discounts for a referral. (no, i don't work for them or anything, just always happy to save some money and refer a good product).

1 person likes this.
  6. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I have Smith Thompson and am very happy with them, especially at their price. It's around $17/month, and their customer service is top notch. I've had a couple of false alarms, and they called right away.

7. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

My parents have Smith Thompson as well. Cheap basic cellular monitoring. No issues so far.

I have ProtectionONE and I am very happy with the service

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

hell. I just paid for ADT

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

They don't use the same monitoring centers...

Well, maybe the specific ones you mentioned do, but overall, it's not the same center monitoring for every company, if that's what you meant.

Basically you want to make sure:

-They're open 365/24/7

-they have a back up power source in case of power outage/tornado/hurricane...check how long they can monitor after power is out

-Will and/or can your contract be sold? This is how you can end up with a different company and monitoring station.

-training and certifications of dispatchers

Why do you say ADT is a rip off? Pretty much every company will try to start you at the highest rate possible, while giving you the lease number of system components...

10. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

More expensive monthly rate and if they ever need to come out to do something (tech support, having a new sensor put on a door, etc) it is pretty much guaranteed to be $200. And they always said I would have to pay extra to get it off the land line.

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

just adopt a panther.

12. Sajan

Sajan Member

my parents have ADT...its getting way too expensive now. it used to be like 30$ per month..now its gone up to 35 or more..and that's for landline monitoring.

i am going to give smith thompson a call and see.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Have you called and threatened to cancel? Some of them will easily lower the rate to keep you.

They don't have a maintenance option? Insurance?