1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

holiday advice: Greece

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by sw847, Jan 5, 2015.

1. sw847

sw847 Member

Hey fellow Clutchfans

I am planning a holiday for the family and is currently thinking about greece.

I was hoping that someone who have been can give me some advice.

things like places to go, how much would it cost, things to look out for or beware of...etc.

Also i heard from friends that Athens have been quite a mess in recent times, is it safe to go there now?

Anyway thanks in Advance...also HAPPY NEW YEARS GUYS

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

greece and athens are safe…..although that could change if greece exits the euro in a couple months

in athens most of the protests are around syntagma square in the center, and only at certain days/times

the possible destinations are far too many for one trip, so you'll have to decide what you want to allocate time for……historical, city life, mountains, islands...

for the islands, i wouldn't go outside of mid-may to early october because the water will be far too cold for swimming otherwise……if you like green islands then the ionian group (corfu, kefalonia, lefkada) in the far west and the sporades (skopelos, skiathos) in the north are best. close to athens, poros is also very green. for beaches, lefkada and zakynthos are among the best, the latter being a favorite vacation spot of locals. further south, mykonos and santorini (thera) are nice but also the most visited by tourists. paros is great, but probably the most expensive.

in the north, you should consider a visit to meteora, where old monasteries are perched up high on rock cliffs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteora

near athens you can visit the archaelogical site of delphi.

and lastly, the huge island of crete is like an entirely different country and also great.

1 person likes this.
  3. sw847

sw847 Member

Thanks Pippendagimp.......greatly appreciated.