1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HISD May Fire Teachers Over Test Scores

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I do not know if this is true or not, but it has been pointed out to me by a friend that schools have no exemptions for special needs children.

She said that she has been stuck with having special needs kids having to take that TAKS test, thus affecting the overall score. Its really bad for young teachers that tend to get placed with more special needs children because often the tenured teachers don't want to mess with them and are buddies with the administration.

So this year, for example, she had a special needs child who can barely write his own name, have to sit for the TAKS. They did it on the computer, but he is unable to communicate properly, form sentences, or think logically. He of course failed.

I do not know how common this is, but I would be upset if my career was on the line because I had severely handicapped children.

#101 Supermac34, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

IIRC, the TAKS ALT,TAKS M, and TAKS Accomodated are what special needs kids take and all are counted towards AYP and accountabilty.

3. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I forgot to include the link to show that' it will be over a 3-4 year period.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6808536.html

Is HISD the first school district to fire teachers based on standardized testing?
    I would like to see past performance of other school districts to see if it was effective or ineffective.