1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Hipster 101]Anyone listen to vinyl?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bmthint, Mar 7, 2011.

Tags:
  1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Unless you plan on scratching you have no need for 1200's. Those are built for djs. Any belt drive turntable will be fine. The needle determines 80% of the audio quality for the most part. Its analog; remember that.

1 person likes this.
  2. bmthint

bmthint Member

Ok thanks man. I guess I just have to shop around and see what I can find.

3. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Here is the one I have, Sony PS-LX250H. Only $70 on Amazon! I paid around $150 for it and have no complaints. I'm still using the needles that it came with and I think it sounds great. It's an awesome deal at this price.

5. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

I recommend buying a crosley. Some of them have CD,cassette,radio, and record players all in one. The more expensive ones allow you to burn the record onto a CD:eek:. They'll run around 100-200.

[​IMG]

i got mine for 20 dollars at sears when it was closing.
    It's on of my better investments.

6. kidcave9

find'em at target if interested

7. kidcave9

wow, I bought the one that allows you to convert the music to mp3 files. Same one.

Cool story, huh.

8. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

I own a couple vinyls but don't have a record player. I've wanted one but I don't want to spend much money right now, so unless I find some killer deal I'm not going to be getting one for a little while (Plus new headphones are higher on my priority list)

9. kidcave9

i've seen some for 20-40 at ross and half price books. They're not name brand but they still can convert the music into mp3s...

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I usually just go to my father-in-law's place for my vinyl. He has over 10,000 records. And that's a conservative estimate. I can spend hours digging through his collection.

BTW, is there a machine out there that can convert cassette tapes into CD's or MP3's? I have a bunch of cassettes from high school that I want to preserve.

11. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

12. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

I must be getting old, because I had to Google to find out what Hipster meant. LOL.

13. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

My only gripe with vinyl is what these record companies charge for new albums. I understand it costs more to make it, but at least throw in a digital download or something.

14. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Cactus
    Sound Exchange
    Vinyl Edge
    Vinyl Junkie

It really depends on what type of music you're searching for. I'd hit up Vinyl Edge. Probably my favorite record store in town.

15. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

look at a project debut III, about $350 including cartridge, and has a USB preamp built in if you want to digitize. Czech made, former contract manufacturers for Rega. good stuff.

http://www.sumikoaudio.net/project/products/debut.htm

available from musicdirect.com, acoustic sounds, others...

1 person likes this.
  16. bmthint

bmthint Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I guess the main thing for me is that I need a preamp to hook it up to my speakers, digitizing my vinyl collection is not something I will ever be doing.

17. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This - the Pro-Ject Debut III is great "high-end" entry level turntable...cartridge and everything is solid quality.

Marantz makes some good stereo receivers with a phono stage for relatively cheap. Look into the SR4023, for example.

This pair + decent speakers = really solid vinyl listening.

1 person likes this.
  18. bmthint

bmthint Member

Thanks basso and rimbaud after reading some more on it I think I will get the pro-ject turntable. Its a bit out of my range but I'll wait a bit and save up for them, because I would rather get something nice to pair with my audioengine a5's.