1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hillary Clinton, John Edwards, Bill Richardson, or Ed Rendell : 2008 Democratic Nom.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Troy McClure, Nov 4, 2004.

?

Democratic Presidential Candidate in 08'

1. Senator Clinton (ny)

23 vote(s)
    32.9%
  2. Governor Richardson (nm)

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. John Edwards

15 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. Governor Rendell ( Penn. ?)

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  5. Other

25 vote(s)
    35.7%
  1. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Member

Which of these candidates do you think has the best shot at winning the primary, and perhaps the election ?

2. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Of those Hillary has the best shot at winning the nomination but John Edwards has the best shot at winning the election.

3. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Member

I hope she doesnt run though. With the news of Edwards wife, Im not sure if he will even run though. I hope he does, just because it would mean Elizabeth Edwards recovered.

4. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Edwards seems like a Presidential guy, imo...more so than John Kerry...He seems kind of JFK-esque

5. serious black

serious black Contributing Member

I voted other. Others Dems I think should be on the list are Bayh, Vilsack and Obama.

6. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

Evan. Bayh.

With Mark Warner or Richardson as VP.

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Edwards or other.

8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I am from Indiana, so Evan!

Mark

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really like Richardson. I had hoped he'd be the VP for Kerry. I really hope that he runs. If he does I might vote Democrat again. This year was the first time I'd done that since my first election.

10. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Edwards seems presenditial but is still too green and seems liek a bitter person. Don't know if the bitter part will help/hurt him.

But I think Hillary is the front runner, but Edwards seems more "electable"

11. Strange Fruit

Strange Fruit Member

I think you're right. HClinton can win the dem nomination but people are fooling themselves if they actually think she can win a national election. She is TOO MUCH of a polarizing figure. It ain't happenin'. If the dems were smart they would with a midwesterner or a southerner. Someone who can simply relate to and reach out to ordinary, everyday people.

12. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

I know there's justifiable exasperation on the part of Midwesterners and Southerners for being characterized as "flyover states" and other, less complimentary things by East and West Coasters.

But don't you think it's just as bad to say that Southerners and Midwesterners are the "ordinary, everyday people"?

I'm not picking on you; it's actually just something I've wondered about for awhile and this seemed like a good place to bring it up.

13. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Member

What about Harold Ford ? He would be the youngest President ever I believe, but with 12 years of service in congress would be a hell of a lot more experienced than either Edwards or Bush was.

14. lalala902102001

None of these guys looks like a winner to me.

The next few years will be crucial for the Democratic Party. They need their Ronald Reagan...badly.

15. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

By necessity the Democratic candidate must come from Michigan, Illinois, Florida, Texas or Ohio. Candidates from states like New York and California are out because those states will vote Democratic anyway. IMO, a candidate most likely will come from Ohio or Illinois.

If the Democrats are so politically foolish as to run Hillary, they will surely relegate themselves to minority party status, perhaps forever. If that happens, the GOP will become so huge that it splits into conservative and liberal factions.

The nation will become like Texas once was. There was only the Democratic Party and the primaries pitting the two wings against each other were the real elections.

Most of you are too young to remember those days, and I know most Texas history teachers don't teach this, even if they knew it. Not too long ago I was chatting with an award-winning high school Texas history teacher, and discovered she only had a cursory knowledge of how Texas entered the union. She didn't even know who Gideon Pillow and Robert Walker were.

16. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Walker.. Didn't Chuck Norris play him in that TV show?

;)

17. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Sen. Robert Walker, D-Mississippi, author of the Walker Tariff of 1846 regarding cotton trade with the British that laid the groundwork for the Civil War, campaign manager of Lewis Cass in the election brawl of 1844. Texas land speculator. That Robert Walker.;)

18. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

I think we underestimate the gender factor....

Hillary could do worse than Mondale and McGovern with males and still win, because women who aren't pro life zealots would vote for her in such obsenely massive numbers it wouldn't be funny.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

What percentage of women do you think are pro-choice vs. pro-life?

20. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Iowa governor Tom Vilsack should be on this poll. He's won two terms in a state that Bush just won, and his popularity in Iowa means that everyone else would be playing for second in the Iowa Democratic caucuses in 2008.

He's pretty much a moderate, but not a Lieberman-style moderate who alienates the left wing of the Democratic Party.

Personally, I thought he'd have made a great VP candidate. Would've delivered Iowa for sure, and maybe made a bigger dent in some other midwestern states like Ohio and Missouri. Also might have been enough to put MI out of reach so the Kerry campaign wouldn't have had to spend crucial resources in MI at the end.

I'm a big fan of Bill Richardson, too.