1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Hi, We're the NFL, We're Wimps

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rocketman95, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Way to stand by your word, idiots. Had it been a defensive tackle not named Sapp or other popular player, I'd bet a good sum of money the response would've been much different.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1641641

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue said Tampa Bay defensive tackle Warren Sapp was "lucky to be playing" Sunday because of his recent mistreatment of officials.

Sapp was fined $50,000 this week and threatened with suspension after the league reviewed his conduct over a three-game period. The fine came after the six-time Pro Bowl player bumped an official on his way into last week's game against Washington.

"He had been warned explicitly by the coach and his organization that if he did anything further in the pregame or otherwise that was disrespectful of the officials, that he would be disciplined," Tagliabue said Sunday before Carolina played Tennessee.

"Then he went out and deliberately bumped an official. So he is lucky to be playing this week."

Sapp and the Buccaneers played Sunday at San Francisco.

Prior to bumping the official last week, the NFL said Sapp used excessively abusive language to officials in two other games.

"I think his conduct over a three-week period, which was the basis for the fine, was substantially over the line, to put it mildly," Tagliabue said.

Sapp called the fine "unbelievable" and disputed several of the NFL's claims, including bumping the official.

"It wasn't intentional. I tried to avoid him," Sapp said this week. "The ref didn't think anything of it because he knew -- just like I knew -- that I didn't try to bump him."

2. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

Warren Sapp has become my most dispised sports figure, right after Kobe.

It happened when he wanted to fight a sixty year old man after he wouldn't shake his hand because he was upset that he had just sent one of his players to the hospital. Warren Sapp has the mind of a child. The body of a titan, but the mind of a child.

3. drapg

drapg Member

The NFL knows where its bread is buttered.

Warren Sapp and Brian Urlacher got off light when "trashing" the refs. (Though Urlacher more than Sapp. Hmm... I'm surprised AB hasn't chimed in yet).

Sapp will even have his own show (with Strahan) on the NFL Network.

I don't blame them for going easy on the guy (though I wouldn't call a $50K fine 'going easy', no matter how rich you are). I don't agree with the lack of suspension, but Tagliabue is not stupid. He knows whats up.

4. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

I think he didn't give the suspension exactly because of the reasons you mentioned, but you can be assured that was his last warning.

I have a feeling that this arrogant b*stard isn't done yet.

5. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Anybody see Sapp kick the pylon during pregame? I wonder if he gets fined for that

6. drapg

drapg Member

Until a heavy hand is dropped from Tagliabue, I have a feeling Sapp will keep testing and pushing the limits, like a small child trying to learn his boundaries of behavior from a pushover parent.

7. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

BU is a classy player. That's the first time I've ever seen him complain about the refs, he had a valid point. Unless you live in NO or have NFL Sunday Ticket you didn't get to see that horrible game...

Sapp cries about everything... he is a disgrace. Don't compare those two ever again please.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I saw that on ESPN today. He just won't quite will he. He keeps pushing and pushing.

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I hate SAPP. Why can't he learn from a classy player, like Bruce Smith?

Just because you have a championship doesn't mean that you can act like the league's bad kid. Leave that for the rookies.