1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(here we go again) Texas may ban "pro-Islamic, anti-Christian" history books

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheRealist137, Sep 20, 2010.

1. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Texas looks like imbeciles in that these "debates" are even happening.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I have to laugh to keep from crying. Un-flipping-believable.

[​IMG]

Probably the subject of another thread...but I saw some fundie pastors were coming out against Yoga. Freaking yoga. My friend, who is a pastor of a local church (and a HUGE Houston sports fan), had some twitter updates yesterday that ended up finding their way to the Chronicle:

http://blogs.chron.com/believeitornot/2010/10/houston_responds_to_christians.html

In response to Driscoll's statement, Chris Seay, pastor of Ecclesia in Montrose, said in a tweet this morning: "main reason I have to denounce yoga is that I can't touch my toes. Fundamentalism keeps getting more & more ridiculous."

In subsequent tweets, he said he said he had taken yoga classes from time to time and talked about how Eastern and Western religions don't need to be at odds:

Don't forget Christianity is itself an Eastern religion - our faith journey began in the East and climaxes w/ a Savior born in the East.

True Christianity cannot be syncretized w/western or eastern world-views. In fact the two world-views collide beautifully in [the Old Testament and New Testament].

...All culture has pitfalls and eastern thought is not more or less dangerous than western.

Pastors like Seay who have critiqued Mohler and Driscoll's statements worry that this controversy will fuel the idea that Christians are divisive and judgmental, driving people away from the church and its message.

"Demonizing yoga is no different than demonizing rock music - the real question is how do we engage culture with gospel? Not hide from it," Seay said.

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder when some of these Christian fundamentalist will come after martial arts since we bow to each other.

Then again there are a lot of Christian Taekwondo schools.

4. MadMax

I have a younger son super interested in Karate. I spoke with a guy who runs an academy about it. He was soooo super-sensitive about it having any spiritual component to it so as not to drive me away or offend me. It was hilarious. I told him he was talking to the wrong guy if he thought that I would have a problem with that. :grin:

But I'm sure he gets pushback on that quite a bit...which is ridiculous.

5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

You should enroll your kid in this school.

http://www.eastpointag.com/index.php?page_id=28
    [​IMG]
    ;)

6. MadMax

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That's a ninja taking the disguise of a cross.

I went to a church discussion group that called out yoga's religious aspects. The point was not to take yoga's spiritual aspects seriously.

8. MadMax

you just blew my mind!

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Why is he not organizing a Yoga brochure burning event?

I think there are some real opportunities to take advantage of here.

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

You see Jesus was crucified on the cross so those guys are trying to save Jesus with their Taekwondo.

See the Apostles should've learned Taekwondo and kicked the Romans' ass.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I can absolutely see fundie pastors denouncing yoga.

Many yoga practices teach it almost as an alternative form of spirituality, with elements of eastern whatnots and whozits and such.

I've actually walked out on a couple of yoga classes before when the instructor would get too far into the spiritual nonsense and neglect the physical aspect. it's insulting to my beliefs and a waste of my time.

As for the pastors, anything that takes away from their slice of the spiritual pie, they are going to be against.

That's religion for ya. It's a business... where the currency is souls.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Fundamentalists of all religions are annoying.

13. MadMax

man, it would be totally sweet to see them going all Miyagi on some lions!

14. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

That's what Yoga is all about. It's about controlling the body and the mind and becoming one with the spirit inside you.

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I love yogurt and don't see anything evil about it.

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

I go to yoga to stretch and relax. Not to be given a seminar about spirits and cosmic energy mumbo jumbo. If you want to evoke the supernatural/mysticism, go to a temple, not to an exercise class.

17. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

If you want to stretch, find somewhere thats only concerned with the physical. Yoga is not meant to be an "exercise" class.

18. Buck Turgidson

The frogurt is also cursed.

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I am curious but what did they talk about specifically? Were they talking about chakras and energy flow or were they talking about deities?

20. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

For the purposes of where I go, yes, it is. There is no spiritual aspect to it, unless the instructor chooses to add it (which they're instructed not to do). In which case, I go somewhere else.