1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(here we go again) Texas may ban "pro-Islamic, anti-Christian" history books

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheRealist137, Sep 20, 2010.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Are you badmouthing American soldiers?

2. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I think he is saying individual right wing citizens (no mention of the government or military leaders?) can actually command the US military machine to take out whatever religious ideological target they please.

3. dback816

dback816 Member

But it's okay because they do it in the name of Democracy.

4. LScolaDominates

Classic tactic of the myopic: change the subject and hurl insults at anyone who challenges their delicate, facile world view.

Not really. I argue that extremists in the US have an institutional means of expressing their violent rage. If the US military can effectively kill brown people across the globe, what reason do I have to strap a bomb to my chest and run into a mosque?

Oh yeah, I forgot! Please disregard everything I've ever posted. When it comes to D-mock-crazy, the ends must justify the means. I guess that's why Karzai is still in charge of Afghanistan.

1 person likes this.
  5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the problem with this is that it assumes i would otherwise desire to strap a bomb to my chest and run into a mosque. i'm a U.S. citizen...but i am not thrilled with empire building and war, in general.

6. LScolaDominates

I hate to break this to you, MM, but I wasn't really thinking of you when I was characterizing right wing extremists.

7. MadMax

ha :) well, thanks.

i was thinking you meant Americans, generally. sorry.

8. LScolaDominates

I can see why you took it that way. For the scope of this discussion, I was merely taking issue with ATW's incessant insinuations that "our" extremists are somehow less extreme than those cagey Muslims.

On the other hand, our taxes and consumption habits feed the machine. We are all culpable.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

:rolleyes: Don't playa hate because I know what is precession.

10. MadMax

i don't disagree.

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

12. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

I will have to call you out on this. If radical Muslims were attacking military bases or plants that manufacture weapons I might agree with you. They choose to attack purely civilian targets, with the lone exception being the white house. Their goal is to simply kill Americans/Christians. Our goal is to prevent the terrorist organizations from being able to kill said Americans/Christians. Do innocents die in Afghanistan from US soldiers? Yes, but that's a very unfortunate side effect of war. Not to mention, militants attacking US forces in Afghanistan are also responsible for killing their own.

13. Steve_Francis_rules

I think one could make the argument that falsely linking a nation to the deaths of several thousand Americans on 9/11 to justify invading the country (an invasion that led to 100,000+ civilian deaths) is just as bad as the terrorist attack that started it all.

Do American soldiers intentionally kill civilians when we invade a country? No. Does that make it more excusable that some politicians started an unprovoked war knowing that many thousands of civilians would die? Absolutely not.

14. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Oh, no excusing the sidebars for why they went into Iraq. I was referring to why we went after the terrorists in the first place. The US force did not however go into Iraq with the goal of killing 100K+ civilians. As far as Afghanistan, to judge the result(unfortunate deaths of civilians vs WTC civilian casualties) without knowing the goals or why each action was done is far too simplistic. Ask the leaders of each side about the civilian deaths their side has caused.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

George W. Bush could conceivably be charged with war crimes against humanity for invading and occupying a sovereign nation that was not a clear and present danger to the United States. An invasion and occupation based on the deception of the American people and the world. That he has not is, quite frankly, a crime, in my opinion. Afghanistan, however, is vastly different. Afghanistan was a clear and present danger ot the United States. Our invasion of that country was understood and even praised across the world by millions and the leaders of millions. We had great goodwill supporting us going into Afghanistan. Bush threw it all away. Just tossed it into a dumpster and pissed on it, so he could invade Iraq, pull whatever he felt was needed out of Afghanistan, and almost insure that the operations in that country would end in failure.

He was and is a fool. The guy should be sitting before the World Court in the Hague.

1 person likes this.
  16. AustinBriggs

AustinBriggs Member

As parents we have to supplement what are children are taught in school. It's important to know what's going on and to offer perspective.

About once a week I sit with my child that's in school and ask what he's learning and look at his homework.

I think now though, I am going to make sure we sit with his books to flip through the chapters he's read just so I can see what is contained...

We can do better than this as Texans.

17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Has your child learned that "our" and "are" are homophones, and that they can't be used interchangeably yet???

19. showtang043

showtang043 Member

There goal is to kill american christians? You realize who these terrorist group kill the most? Muslims, all over the world, under their rule, so on, they kill muslims the most. They do not have heavy support of the muslims throughout the world at all. In 9/11, they didnt just kill christians, they killed muslims, jews, etc. They just wanted 'americans' dead. They dehumanized americans and jsut wanted them dead, not the people who they felt were intruding them, just any americans. That is the danger of painting with a broad stroke, essentially it seems thats whats being done with muslims.

On another note you know who else they want killed? Imam Al Rauf, that imam from the NYC mosque that everyone says would be for the terrorist, they hate him, they hate hte mosque having a place in america and being accepted there...its all interesting how the media and people paint this otherwise.

20. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Hey! Did you just call his kid a "homo"?!? ;)