1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(here we go again) Texas may ban "pro-Islamic, anti-Christian" history books

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheRealist137, Sep 20, 2010.

1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    Uh what... Are you saying it is hard finding teachers that have a basic understanding of major religions and their relevance to history? If so, we have much bigger issues

#61 DudeWah, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  2. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Read your history books before you make yourself look r****ded here again.

OH WAIT, you must have only read the Japanese history books. We pity you.

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Since Judaism is the foundation for Christianity and Islam, I think it is fair to also teach about that religion.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Does it impact you negatively if Judaism is on the list?

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

holy shiznit, check your sarcasm meter. :) of course my kid isn't reading that.

6. Steve_Francis_rules

No, I just think if you're going to teach about a religion that has less than 20 million members worldwide, there are a number of other religions being left out that shouldn't be.

That's certainly a fair point. Are there other religions that have served as a foundation for Hinduism or Buddhism that should then be included as well? I honestly don't know enough about either religion to say.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

it seems to me that Judaism has been ridiculously impactful on world history, including the 20th century and current events.

but the point of my post wasn't to argue about what religions to include...if you want to do it off numbers, alone, that's fine.

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Well, you got me. I'd rep you again if it would let me.

I was caught up in the moment, and in light of the idiotic SBOE, would not be surprised if they had chosen this book. lol

10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Agree. I had TA's and fellow students in college who still believed the changing of the seasons was due to Earth's proximity to the sun. We really have issues.

11. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Unfortunately, he'd lose....badly =/

12. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Yes. Without knowing about solstices, equinoxes and the tilt/rotation of the earth, one cannot function in society. IT IS UNPOSSIBLE.

13. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

My high school world geography teacher did a pretty good job as he went through the major religions. His classtime lectures, worksheets, and tests on each religion were pretty equal as was his tone. He certainly had to be because he went to my church and taught there as well.

And I am guessing that a pro-Islamic/anti-Christian textbook crusade is more about preventing something from coming down the pike rather than what is already out there.

Though more than likely its just scare tactics by idiots to get the wingnuts riled up for midterms.

14. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Oh Texas, just when you're slowly moving forward you just fall right back :eek:

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The radical Tea Party idiots wonder why Muslims can't stop the fanatical elements of Islam from being idiots.

Maybe they don't realize it's the same problem mainstream Americans have - we can't stop the radical Tea Party idiots from being idots either.

Looks like mainstream America has something in common with mainstream Islam.

16. dback816

dback816 Member

But according to the posters here, mainstream Islam is radical Islam.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Do the so-called "tea party idiots" go around and behead people and bomb people?

18. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Man, I knew you were going to say this. ;)

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I could not resist :p.

(But if you knew I was going to say this, you knew that it is a response to the statement that is not far-fetched, to put it very mildly. Equating the political opponent (that, however opposed one might be politically, is still within the democratic spectrum) with murderers is simply not a good idea at all.)

20. LScolaDominates

Your entire D&D existence is based on a fallacious myopia. Do individual right wing Americans run around committing murder in the name of their ideology? No, they have the most powerful military force in human history to do that for them.

2 people like this.