1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(here we go again) Texas may ban "pro-Islamic, anti-Christian" history books

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheRealist137, Sep 20, 2010.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I remember it being taught to me...I certainly didn't perceive a bias. That's antecdotal, I realize....but I remember being bored, personally, with the Christianity portion, because I already knew those beliefs.

I'm against prayers led in school...I'm against any endorsement of one faith over the other by the government. I loathe Ten Commandments monuments on the steps of a courthouse....as much because I am a Christian as because I am an American.

But I have no problem with high school kids being taught the very basic tenets of all the major world religions.

3 people like this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I still think you should run for office.

3. Steve_Francis_rules

I agree with you in principle, but I think it would be very difficult to get teachers who can objectively discuss the world's religions.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Repped for an excellent post.

Edit: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MadMax again.

5. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

it's a shame that the ideology that shaped our history and culture cannot be taught in schools. You cannot fully appreciate literature, art, architecture, politics, culture or business without an understanding of the religious thinkings of the people of the time.

but...alas...too charged. and too difficult to break the dogma.

6. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

The state board of education is an elected position.

7. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I am aware of this. (one of them, IIRC, home schools his kids...crazy huh?)

Which leads me to believe most people don't care or, more accurately, the only ones who do care are religious wingnuts.

#47 rhadamanthus, Sep 21, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Can they identify a "pro-Islamic, anti-Christian" textbook? Just one?

9. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I think these things run much the same way that the right-wing identifies certain news networks (every one that isn't FOX) as "liberal" - it's not that they endorse "liberal values" but that they fail to explicitly endorse conservative viewpoints.

In the case of textbooks, it's not that they carry pro-Islam and anti-Christian messages, but that they fail to explicitly denounce Islam and endorse Christianity.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

These stories always make me happy I have a private school to turn to for the education of my children. Sure, they'll still get a bias, but it is the teacher's bias, and I can talk to him. And the bias will change every time my kids change teachers.

As for the State Board of Education, you can find out who represents you here: http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/.

I am in District 4 and I'm represented by Mr. Lawrence A. Allen, Jr., who is the Vice-Chair and serves on the 5-person Committee on Instruction. He does not seem to be part of the religious-nut camp.

I found a website that sets out each members position, centering mostly around teaching ID in schools: http://www.teachthemscience.org/texas/sboe. This website has a problem with representatives from Beaumont, The Woodlands, Richmond, Spring, Lampasas, College Station, and San Antonio as pro-ID. I'm guessing these 7 are likely mostly behind this history textbook bs too.

So, if you live in these areas and don't like what SBOE is doing here, you can write to your rep. If you living in Houston, you are SOL.

11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Exactly my point because no one can identify a "pro-Christian, anti-Islamic" textbook. I call it smoke and mirrors.

12. da_juice

da_juice Member

Wh ycan't Texas figure out how to teach this stuff? It's so easy!

Here's how we do it in my school:
    We learn about basic beliefs about the world's predominant religions(Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Hindunism, Taoism) and how they affected history. We learn about the Crusades from both point of views.

13. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

My wife and I got custody of my son this summer and after one week of school this year we pulled him and are home schooling him now. It's amazing what a difference it has made in what he does and his attitude. The most amazing thing of all, he's actually learning.

14. MadMax

you realize we already teach world religions in high school, right?

15. MadMax

Is it problematic that this is my 5th grader's English textbook?

[​IMG]

16. Steve_Francis_rules

Actually, I did not realize that. My high school didn't teach religion at all, as far as I know.

17. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

And who gets to decide what is considered a "major" religion? Don't try and tell me that my religion is not a "major" religion. I demand that the basic tenets of my religion are taught along with all the other religions. And if you disagree with me then you are no better than the current State board of Education.

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Seriously? I will raise holy hell if my kid (4th grade) has to read that crap.

If wingnuts can keep their kids from listening to the president, I sure as **** can keep my kid from reading that crap.

19. Steve_Francis_rules

One of those religions is very much not like the others.

Why is Judaism even on the list? There are less than 20 million Jews in the world. That's nothing compared to the number of Christians (billions), Muslims (more than a billion), Hindus (nearly one billion), and Buddhists (several hundred million). There are more Sikhs in the world than Jews.

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was too early in repping you previously in this thread. If only I'd waited, I could've repped you for this one.