1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(here we go again) Texas may ban "pro-Islamic, anti-Christian" history books

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheRealist137, Sep 20, 2010.

1. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

For me there is little difference between current religions and ancient Mythology. However since the current religions are important instigators for many events in the world, and a important part of the live of many people, I do believe it should be taught differently. I see no problem that in a certain class a religious person of the different religions come to class and explain their religion.

I do agree that the class history might not be the best place. But another course should touch the subject. People should accept that most people have different values and religions. And by knowing more where those values came from and what those religions stand for help bridge the gap between different people.

We all have to learn how to live together, and accept the differences and focus on the many similarities.

2. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

I don't think the bible should be taught, but historical facts which both secular historians and theologians can agree on regarding how the bible was assembled, how Christianity (almost forgot the capital C!) got popularized and its impact on history should definitely be taught. Same for the other major religions.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. The individual. Science and Math should be mandatory...
    2. Maybe. But should we teach something just because it is important to some people? Why don't we teach about fairies and ghosts and Hogwarts?
    3. This is a huge agree. Absolutely...

4. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Walking on water, or Theseus slaying the Minotaur? ;)

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

History by its very nature is subjective and opinionated. I don't believe you need to take out all bias from history. In fact, I think it's actually very enlightening to view history from all perspectives. Given the example here regarding WW2, I think it's much more enlightening to see the war from the perspective of all countries, both allies and axis. It's certainly much better than the simple "America swoops in and saves humanity from evil" stuff that populates our own textbooks. Which, even if it's all factual in terms of what happens, is still heavily biased and hardly tells the whole story.

History teachers should teach students the idea that different people view things differently. That not everything is black and white. Middle/high school students should be smart enough to understand this if you teach them correctly.

Then again, the odds of this happening in any country is 0%. :(

6. showtang043

showtang043 Member

Yea you are right, perhaps a nonbias history is unrealistic, but a better idea is like you said to present the different perspectives and sides entirely as well

7. Steve_Francis_rules

You should read up on the Nanking Massacre. That likely resulted in more deaths than both nukes combined, depending on which numbers you believe.

8. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

It's amazing to me how brazen the board members are with this sort of stuff. No sugar coating, no clever verbage... just a blunt announcement that they want to replace something they don't like with whatever conforms to there biased ideology.

Either the state as a whole is rather messed up (i.e., parents don't care or support the changes) or the board has entirely too much control.

In either case, those of you not in Texas should still be worried, since Texas ends up dictating much of the country's textbooks simply due to their larger market.

9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What a sad day for Texas. The state already had a black eye because of the previous decision by the board of Ed, now the great state is being shamed even further.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you don't think it's valuable to learn what other people believe?

i think that's a huge mistake.

11. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Should we learn about ghosts and little green men as well? Past major beliefs?

12. MadMax

those things aren't shaping world events as far as i know.

i don't think there's anything wrong with learning about major world religions and what people believe. that seems like it falls within the very parameters of the word, "education," to me.

i remember being in high school...reading siddhartha..and studying what Hindus, Buddhists, and Muslims believed for the very first time. realizing there was common ground on some points...learing about things that would ultimately make me more culturally sensitive and more aware of current events. again...that's education.

13. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

You know what a history degree will get you? A job at the mall.

14. MadMax

objection: relevance

15. conquistador#11

Just do away with all books. Who needs "the maths" or history. Don't even get me started on Biology..that's just the devil's work. Infact, Physed should be the only class given to students, k-12th grade. 8 hours of P.E. Get these little sons of beeches ready for war at an early age.

16. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Cause all the useless political bickering about "he-said-she-said" religous views in high school history texts before the gubernatorial election is not going to help either candidate...or is it meant to affect the way I vote? :eek: This is a backburner issue and a moot one at that.

[​IMG]

17. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Money shapes world events, religion disguises the motive.

There is nothing "wrong" with learning about what people believe, as long as you have Buddhism, Christianity, Mithraism, Islamism and Zues taught in the same fashion, and with the same level of validity.

A school should open all the doors, and a student should be able to walk (or not walk) through any of them. I like the term cultural awareness, more. Culture includes religion, which can disguise an alterior motive that can have an impact on all life. Therefore, I think culture can be dangerous, and is not on an unquestionable pedastal.

18. MadMax

I never suggested we should teach religion in anything more than a clinical manner.

I'd stop with Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Islam and Hinduism, though...as that accounts for about 99% of the world.

Teach Greek mythology when teaching about Greece's history...that's already being done. I learned about Roman mythology when taking Latin. No problem.

Did you think I was suggesting that kids be taught one religion is better than another? What did I say that made you think that from my post?

1 person likes this.
  19. MadMax

i'm not understanding you at all. no worries.

20. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

The problem is finding teachers that are capable of such a task. Which leads us back to schools teaching religious beliefs... The idea in theory is good, but I have doubts that it would be effective in places like Idaho.