1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hendricks 2 Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rokman, May 16, 2023.

?

Hendricks with 4th Pick?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    63.9%
  1. Rokman

Rokman Member

Rockets don't need anymore guards (outside of Scoot or possibly Harden). The Rockets need size defense and 3 point shooting and all of that gets addressed with Hendricks. He's 6'8.25" with a 7' wingspan (combine measurements) SF/PF who shot 39.4% from 3, 47.8% from the field and 78.2% from the FT line. He also averaged 1.7 blocks and just under 1 steal a game.

At only 19 he's still very young with plenty of upside. This is the kind of guy that could be molded to play alongside Bari and Tari for a 3 man defensive unit that can also spread the floor (once Bari regains his composure)

https://fansided.com/2023/05/15/2023-nba-draft-scouting-report-taylor-hendricks/

#1 Rokman, May 16, 2023
    Last edited: May 16, 2023
  2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think the rockets need 2-way guards, but I think Hendricks could be BPA at #4. I think Sengun, Jabari, Hendricks and Tari could be an elite front court rotation.

3. Rokman

Rokman Member

If nothing else, he's more of a sure fire thing than Amen.

No Worries, roslolian and robbie380 like this.
  4. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

This really was a #1 (or 2 depending on your opinion on Henderson) or bust draft. The Thompson Twins, J, Walker, Cam Whitmore, And Anthony Black, all the dudes I see mocked to 4-9, all can't shoot and judging by their FT%, (nobody above 70%), will never be reliable shooters. Hendricks is currently mocked at #9 by Tankathon and he might be BPA by default for a second coming of Tari Eason.

What the hell is it with these dudes who can't even hit free throws? These guys all grew up watching Stephen Curry never miss FTs ever, and Harden, Giannis, and Embiid all take over games from the charity stripe and nobody thought it prudent to shoot above 65% from the line? Let alone none of these dudes being able to shoot in a league where you ride and die on the 3, especially given the failures of recent top picks that can't shoot (Simmons, Fultz, Ball)

Is American youth development that bad?

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

If we can trade the Clippers pick to move up and get him, sure. Otherwise, no. I like Hendricks, he would be a great way to add more shooting and defense to the roster, but he's basically just a worse version of Jabari with less shot creation potential. Very good roleplayer/fringe all-star upside. I have both Thompson twins, Walker, and Whitmore above him on my draft board.

AXG likes this.
  6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Hendricks looks to be a much safer prospect than Amen. Maybe Jaren Jackson Jr as a potential comp? Amen has the "upside" with his shiftiness and athleticism but dude can't shoot to save his life.

roslolian likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, he's better than either of the Thompson scrubs, so I'd be fine if he was the pick. Whitmore and Walker also have to get some consideration if we're not trading down.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Hendricks isnt well known but I think he may be BPA at 4.

1: Wemby
    2: scoot
    3: Amen/Miller
    4: miller/Amen

Thats the common knowledge but tbh I think Hendricks can be better than either Scoot or Miller. Jarace Walker can also be a good pick imo.

He is only 6'6 but is in the top 10 both for Wingspan and vertical. So add his leadership and defense..athletic Draymond? Considering Draymond is already a good player an athletic version of him would be a star imo.

#8 roslolian, May 17, 2023
    Last edited: May 17, 2023
  9. Denovo

Denovo Member

Pass. He’s literally Jabari but worse.

We don’t need “safe” we need upside.

We have nets picks and plenty cap space for role players.

mightybosstone and OremLK like this.
  10. VoR

VoR Member

He's good at 8. Weak conference.

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I voted 'yes' for Hendricks, but hoping we trade back to get him plus an asset

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Get Hendricks. And some point guard.

Build around Senhub. We have Tari, Green, Bari.

Sengun is better than Wembanyama.

We will be better than the Spurs.

Could always draft Zach Edey with pick no. 20 if we want to counter size.

clos4life likes this.
  13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Taylor Hendricks appears to be able to shoot to save his life.

3-point line -- 39 3FG% on over 4 3FGA

Free throws -- 78 FT% on over 3 FTA

14. Rokman

Rokman Member

I get that he is a lot like Jabari but I'll tell you they are both only 19 and if you get two guys who are potentially still growing and are already tall, athletic and 5 position (Jabari) 4 position (Hendricks) defenders that can spread the floor by knocking down the 3, you have the kind of players you will need come the playoffs. Whenever that might happen. Sadly, Wemby was the ultimate version of what I just mentioned.

clos4life, Aruba77 and Verbal Christ like this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Nice to see you guys wake up to the shooting woes.

Rokman likes this.
  16. MystikArkitect

Drafting a role player over a potential star. Pretty sure that's not how the draft works.

mightybosstone likes this.
  17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

oddly I think they’d be interchangeable at the 4 & 5 because Hendricks is a better rim protector, but he’s also an excellent shooter.

Rokman likes this.
  18. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Trade down with ORL or IND if they like Taylor.

BaselineFade likes this.
  19. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I’m thinking they might not call as many fouls in high school. Maybe guys aren’t getting to the line enough in games to make it a priority. They’re also not shooting anything outside of three pointers these days. And while a valuable skill, it doesn’t get you drafted. Crossovers and dunks get you drafted. There’s no reason these kids can’t develop a decent jump shot at 19 though. Muscle memory can be achieved.

20. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Right now i think id go Whitmore at 4.