1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Help me out on this one.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DreamMachine34, Jan 11, 2003.

1. DreamMachine34

I'm at Pappas with a couple of buddies, drowning some fresh oysters (god bless Rox games because they're only $3 for a dozen) when some Dirk highlights show up. A conversation starts about Dirk when a group from another table joins in the conversation. Basically it goes from how far Dirk has come to him basically might being the best international player of all times. Gasol is mentioned. The young phenom Darko Milicic is mentioned. Of course Yao is included in the mix.

I then say what about Dream? He didn't learn the American game, and he was just a monster. A few guys agree but most say it doesn't count. Needless to say, I couldn't get them to change their minds or give solid reasons. Oh well... I'm just curious if anyone would agree if I said, Dream is the greatest international player of all time.

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

It just depends on how you define international.

I do not consider Hakeem an international player in the same sense that I consider Dirk an international player. Hakeem was indeed born overseas but played basketball here collegiately before he was drafted. Dirk played professional basketball overseas before stepping foot into the NBA.

Hope that helps. :)

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I wouldnt count Hakeem as an international player because he went to college in the states. Had he played in Africa, then joined the NBA, then I would consider him as the greatest international player.

4. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Wasn't Duncan born in St. Croix?

He would be up there on my list. Depending upon how you define international, Dream would be my #1.

Don't forget Drazon Petrovich and Mutombo (for defense).

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

Ducan was born in the US Virgin Islands so technically, he is not an international player.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Dirk actually only played something like 1 or even only 3/4 of a season in Germany's first division (on a relatively crappy team), so he really did not have much experience at all before he came to Dallas.

7. adrian

adrian Member

I think that people really don't think of Hakeem as an international player since he played at UH. But it's all what you consider to be an international player, some might think that players born outside the US fit into that category. Most people don't.

Adrian

8. foodworld

foodworld Member

Dirk is by far the best international player I've ever seen (I know this forum frequented by Rockets fans, so to them I'll say that Ming still needs a few seasons.) He hits jump shots in transition like layups. What seperates him from a player like Glen Robinson is that he actually runs the floor. Also, take away his shooting hand, and he'll spin towards the basket. Play off of him and you'll be torched for thirty points. Defense is his only weakness; he gets beaten on the drive a lot, and when he does get his man under the basket, he decides not to get in foul trouble and doesn't extend his arm to prevent the shot. But nobody's perfect and he does as much for his team as Nash and Finley.

9. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

I don't consider Dream an "international" player. Dream was a naturalized American citizen and represented the good ol' U.S. of A. in international competition (olympics). That's where I draw the line in defining "international" player. Dream chose to play for his country ... He's an American.