1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Heat sign Rod Strickland

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RocksMillenium, Oct 22, 2001.

1. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

He is a far better PG then Hardaway was at his point with the Heat last year. He can pass, score, rebound, and defend at the point even now. He can also run the fast break, which Miami wants to do. I think he won an assist title a few years ago, I can't remember. This could be a big signing if Rod Strickland keeps his head on straight. I know that's a big if, but with veterans like Pat Riley, Alonzo Mourning and Brian Grant they should keep him control.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2001/1021/1267074.html

<b>Strickland reportedly opts to play in Miami</b>

<i>Rod Strickland waffled for a while Saturday before bucking Larry Brown and the Philadelphia 76ers on Saturday and deciding to play for Pat Riley and the Miami Heat, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported in its Sunday editions.

"He's agreed to go and play for Miami," Strickland's agent, Leon Rose, told the newspaper Saturday. "The decision was tremendously tough for him, but the bottom line was two key factors. One was the numbers in Philadelphia. Once everyone gets healthy, the situation didn't favor Rod. The other reason is that Miami is just a really good situation for him.

"There were two organizations here that would have been great for Rod to be a part of, both with two of the greatest coaches that have ever coached this game.

"There was a real comfort level with Larry Brown because Rod previously played for Brown years ago in San Antonio. But in the final analysis, the expectation level in Philadelphia is much higher than the one waiting for Rod in Miami. At this point in Rod's life, those were factors he couldn't ignore."

Strickland is nearing the end of the road and not because of his age. As has been the case with Anthony Mason, there are several reasons that it took Strickland this long to land a new job. And the fact that he was offered just the veteran minimum for a player with his years of NBA experience -- $1 million -- by both Philadelphia and Miami proves that point, luxury-tax issues notwithstanding.

With the Sixers and the Heat offering him equal money, Strickland had to ask himself how many years he has left in the league and which team presented the better opportunity for him to establish a home somewhere.

Anyone with basketball sense is aware that Brown places a premium on defense, that Eric Snow, the Sixers' injured point guard, plays defense admirably, and that the minute Snow came back, joining Allen Iverson, Aaron McKie, Speedy Claxton and Raja Bell in the Sixers' backcourt, Strickland was going to get diminished playing time.

Snow needs surgery to repair his left thumb, broken Tuesday night during an exhibition game against San Antonio.

Dr. David Green of the San Antonio Hand Center diagnosed the fracture and recommended surgery after examining Snow on Wednesday. Snow was to be re-evaluated by 76ers team doctor Jack McPhilemy over the weekend.

Snow, participating in his first game of the season, played 18 minutes and scored seven points before injuring the thumb during the second quarter.

As a veteran guard, Strickland could assume the role vacated by Tim Hardaway, who was traded to the Dallas Mavericks, which would make Anthony Carter the starting point guard. Even ignoring Carter's current injury, an abdominal strain, Strickland's fluid offensive game should be enough to land him in the Heat's starting lineup in a short time.

The kicker is that there are few expectations that come along with Strickland's choice of the Heat. Not much is expected from Miami this season, not after last spring's humiliating first-round playoff loss at the hands of Charlotte. Not with Alonzo Mourning's stamina still a huge question mark because of the medication he is getting for his kidney condition. Not with Mason's departure from the team. And certainly not with Philly, Charlotte, Milwaukee, Toronto and Orlando each considered to have a far better chance to emerge as the top team in the East.

"It's a better fit for Rod because he just gets to play," Rose said.</i>

2. Hydra

Hydra Member

Rod Strickland is a whiney b**** if he didn't want to play for Philly because the expectations were too high. What kind of competitor wants to go to a team where he feels it is okay to lose?

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's exactly what Philly needs. They had no playmaker on offense until now.

4. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Strickland chose Mia because he would be the starting PG for the year.

In Phi, once Snow comes back, he's relegated to the bench.

5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Its a smart signing. Strickland, for all his faults, is still better than Carter or anyone else the Heat had at point guard. He can create shots for his teammates with his ability to penetrate the lane. And on a team that will struggle to score points, he could provide a valuable scoring option as well.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

Strickland can be good, when he's not smokin the weed....

7. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

I think it's a great move for them---provided Rod doesn't blow up.

Eddie Jones wants to be the man and he's a PG to get him the ball now---and Zo isn't a slouch and neither is Grant.

They've got a talented starting...4(?) Who am I missing? Who is the 3?

8. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Kendall Gill. I'm not sure if they still have Ced Ceballos.

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Ced was signed by the Nuggets. Gill's a little undersized at the 3, isn't he?

10. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

How'd I miss this???

Must have been when I was honeymoonin'. How did they get Gill?

11. RocksMillenium

They used part of the exception or the minimum, I can't remember, to sign him I believe in July or August. Gill is VERY underrated. This guy was one third of an explosive crew in Charlotte with LJ and Zo, and then produced in Seattle. Gill is a steals machine and a dominant defender and underrated scorer. A starting line-up of Strickland, Jones, Gill, Brian Grant and Zo spells trouble for the East.

12. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

I don't like them as a scoring team---but they'll be a defensive gem this season. They have the team and the coach to make it all work togather.

13. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I think that while this is a good signing, it is irrelevant unless Mourning returns to his previous level of play, and meshes well with Jones and Grant on the floor. Recall, that these three have barely spent 5 games on the floor with each other. If they mesh well, then Strickland will be an important acquisition - if not, then Strickland's signing won't be that big of a deal.

14. RocksMillenium

That's a good point, they have the potential to be a decent offense but not a dominant one. Definitely a defensive juggernaut is possible. And Strick definitely won't amount to much if they can't gell, which they keep having trouble doing. Zo has been getting winded a lot this preseason. Miami could be an East contender and title contender, to a team scraping the bottom of the playoff barrel. This should be interesting.

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Aw phooey; Speedy Claxton has been great this pre-season and last season before he got hurt. He'll fill in for Snow easily.