1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Head of Special Operations Command: “Our government continues to be in unbelievable turmoil."

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gifford1967, Feb 14, 2017.

1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hmmm. This seems normal.

Gen. Tony Thomas, head of the military’s Special Operations Command, expressed concern about upheaval inside the White House. “Our government continues to be in unbelievable turmoil. I hope they sort it out soon because we’re a nation at war,” he said at a military conference on Tuesday.

Asked about his comments later, General Thomas said in a brief interview, “As a commander, I’m concerned our government be as stable as possible.”
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/14/...prod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

Deckard and vtjsr2 like this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

These people probably always think we are at war. Hard to blame them why. Let's see. Just this past week...

Russia deployed a prohibited land-based cruise missile, violating the landmark arms control treaty between US and Russia - they are basically ignoring the US and NATO.

NK just launched another missile test, one that is consistent with their effort to have a way to carry a nuclear warhead to the USA. This is going under the radar given all other events, but extremely serious.

Iran is Iran.

There is much danger in the world and the dysfunction in the WH should scare the living sh*t out of people keeping an eye out for all of us.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he is saying we are actually conducting military operations against threats - which understandable means from a military standpoint - we are at war.

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I find it mildly interesting that you didn't list any recent American military activity.

Astrodome likes this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Make sense.

And my guess are those can at least be sustained by those in military commands for some times under the previous admin policies.

I'm thinking of the new threats, both known publicly and not publicly known is a constant for our nation security agencies (always at war) and the WH. These new threats may require new direction or policies.

Withheld of intel to the WH and a dysfunctional WH means both will suffer.

6. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The issue isn't that he said we're "a nation at war". It's that an active duty general is stating in public that our government is in turmoil. Not something you see every day.

Deckard, JeffB and B-Bob like this.
  7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

American military activity isn't really new. We've been engaged years now. The things mentioned in the other post were new developments except for Iran being Iran.

But either way it doesn't really matter. Because with American Military activity Trump is the one in charge of that. These other incidents are developments with which the president is expected to deal.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Aren't we always at war.

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

His post implied that all of that action was unprovoked. Let's be real here, everything he listed is a reaction to our actions and rhetoric.

10. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

222 years out of 293, or thereabouts depending on how you define "war".

Air Langhi likes this.
  11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not sure how you got to "unprovoked" and I'm not sure what's the point of that? If you just trying to said things don't happen in a vacuum - absolutely correct. We live in a universe of cause and effect, and each and every actions have consequences.

As for what I meant, I explained more of that in my reply to Lou. FB also right on point with his post.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Bears repeating, apparently. This is the news.

Sounds like something you would hear from a M.E. country's military, not the US of A.

Sad! [srsly]

13. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is indeed quite a statement. An active military leader concerned about the stability of the Whitehouse...

14. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It is bad form for these generals to think they should or are even competent to comment on how the civilian government is functioning. We don't need to start the slippery slope to having a military coup or having these folks whipping up fear to increase theirpromotions, pay and benefits.

BTW not a Trump fan.

15. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I do not know the details of course, but what if the commanders in the field believe they are led by complete morons? Is there any way for them to request for a more competent leaders or they should just follow bad commands? What if we had Trump as president during WWII? Who would he put in charge of our armed force and spy offices? I shudder to think of the possibility.

16. dmoneybangbang

Think he meant we are at war with terrorism.

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

That is fairly never ending.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Is this another thread where IPA jumps through hoops?

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We all know that you aren't a Trump fan, glynch. Neither am I. Neither are a hell of a lot of people who post down here, some of them Republicans.

"We don't need to start the slippery slope to having a military coup or having these folks whipping up fear to increase their promotions, pay and benefits."

I have no idea why you would make such a comment in the context of the OP. Do you seriously believe that this general is "whipping up fear to increase their promotions, pay and benefits." ?? That he's helping to "slippery slope" this country into having a military coup? There are times, glynch, and this is said out of a sense of friendship, that I worry about your sanity. The general was risking his job, BIG TIME, by making those comments. He took a risk for the good of the country and you come up with that as a response? Come on. I think you're better than that. Put your thinking cap back on.