1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HCC vs UH Downtown

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheBrownDude, Jan 22, 2014.

1. TheBrownDude

TheBrownDude Member

So I'm a senior in high school now about to graduate. Yay. Well bad news is that I barely missed the requirements for UH Main which suckssss. But I still have my head up high and I'm gonna attempt to appeal. But the chances are low so these are my 2 options. Now I know HCC is the cheaper alternative. But my final goal is to transfer into the Main Campus at UH and into the Engineering school. I just wanted to know the benefits of each of school and is it like easier to transfer in from UHD because of it being a UH branch. And how long it would take to transfer out. 2 semesters? 2 years? All the information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

2. Jontro

Jontro Member

When you said you barely missed the requirements for UH Main, is it academically? If so, Engineering might not be the best option. That said, I'd go for HCC, much cheaper and neither your GPA from HCC/UHD will transfer anyway.

3. TheBrownDude

TheBrownDude Member

Nah I missed the SAT requirements. My academics grades or fine, I have a steady 3.6. So no real advantage going to UHD?

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

I think at the end of the day, none of your gpa transfers. I don't know if UHM will look at UHD more favorably compared to HCC though, someone else might know. Either way, just make sure you get straight A's there, which shouldn't be a problem. But the UHD campus is depressing.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Go to the cheaper/more convenient option for you.

There is no advantage I'm aware of between the two for admissions purposes.

6. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Apply for Fall 2014 and then transfer to the main campus Spring 2015.

7. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

Go to HCC. Get your core classes out of the way. Make sure you can transfer them over, and make sure you don't **** around so you can get 4.0 every semester. You might end up doing two years, which is fine. Then, apply to UH Main as a transfer student.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I thought UHD was no way affiliated with UH Main?

Go to HCC. Save money. Transfer later.

9. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

HCC, save money, get a high gpa and transfer in a year or 2

10. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Take as many classes as you can in a community college then transfer.

11. ling ling

ling ling Member

no san jac?

12. New Generation

What everyone else said. Be ready for disappointing professors and some online classes. Not that that's the norm, it happens at every college, but you have to be especially prepared to self-learn at a community college. As well, you must be self-motivated. Some random statistic I read stated that a good percentage of those who attend a CC drop out of college all together. Keep your eyes on the prize while you're there.

13. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Like others have already said, go to HCC and get your basics out of the way cheaply. I think only in Texas do we look down on community colleges so much. Once that's done you can transfer and take the courses that really matter to you at UH.

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

15. platypus

platypus Member

Don't think you can take the "basics" at HCC and waltz into engineering. That may work with other majors but not for engineering.

I recruit for UH engineering and I can tell you that a big reason we have such a low passing rate is that in most cases transfer students are not ready for the sophmore level classes. This is because the foundational classes (Calculus, Chemistry, Physics) are taught at a much higher level in the University vs. a Community College. Thus when they get in the college puts them in classes like circuits, chem process, statics, engineering computing and these students have a very hard time passing them. It not only ruins GPA's but can also lead to major changes.

I recommend you definitely go through with the appeal. They say the acceptance rate is low but if you can raise your SAT scores and prove to them that you are serious about your education then you will be accepted.

Now if you are accepted I recommend you bust your ass freshman year if you plan on pursuing engineering. The major is very challenging and takes hard work to get a degree.

Good Luck!

16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

If you want to go to UH main you're better off going to a community college taking your core classes and then transferring over. UHD tuition is significantly higher and is an actual 4 year institution. If you're going there you're probably getting your degree there.

17. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

i sent you an email

18. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

Yes its not affiliated at all. The name is very fooling.

19. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

Just go to HCC get your core classes done and transfer to UofH. I work for Lonestar College and many of our students transfer to UofH and many other universities such as Sam Houston, Texas A&M, Our lady of the lake and many more. HCC shouldnt be much different

20. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

Think of the Texas A&M system and the University of Texas system