1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Have a GraceFilled JuneTeenth!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

http://www.juneteenth.com/

In 1980, Texas was the first state to establish Juneteenth as a state holiday under legislation introduced by freshman Democratic state representative Al Edwards.

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

It is an interesting holiday, fairly important in Texas and some other states.... and no one in Chicago or some other states in the Mid West don't even know what it is.

I wonder if it becomes a more prominent holiday or slips into oblivion, it does seem to be bigger than it was a decade ago.

3. CCorn

CCorn Member

Texx will be bbqing out on east beach if you want to meet up.

4. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I'd say the latter, as I remember celebrations being far more widespread in the 1980s when I was growing up.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

A couple of years ago it was kind of front page news in Minneapolis and mentioned on TV news as well. They had celebrations also. If it's mentioned in either newspaper today it is not prominent at all.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It is in flux. I think some years are stronger than others
    Also . . . .it comes after a very devastating tragedy

Rocket River

7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Happy Juneteenth! One of my favorite holidays.

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's sad that it is so close to the killings in Charleston.

10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is problematic, because I appreciate the need for the celebration, and don't want to pee in anybody's Cheerios, but my inner pedant is going crazy.

This is one of those weird holidays like Cinco de Mayo where the actual event becomes eclipsed by the scope of the celebration. Why are people in South Carolina celebrating the nominal end of slavery in Texas? Shouldn't they celebrate the end of slavery in South Carolina?

On Cinco de Mayo, I had a Hispanic dude get pissed at me, because I tried to tell him May Fifth wasn't Mexican Independence Day.

The celebration encompases things in a much larger scale than what the actual event covered. I guess that's fine, but to some part of me it is as fingernails on a chalkboard.

Sorry if bringing this up annoys anybody.

11. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds like your intelligence gets in the way of just enjoying yourself, lighten up. Not a slam against you, just a suggestion!

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Christ was not born on Dec 25th
    All Veterans did not die on Memorial Day
    Celebrating the event . . .. a day needed to be chosen . . . why not June 19th?

The celebration is about the end of slavery . . . .period
    The Emancipation did not end it . . .
    it was not ended until the last slave was freed.

Rocket River

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's an interesting point that prompted me to google bomb. I think this link explains it well. For some Juneteenth has become the symbolic measure of black independence among other contenders. Celebrating black history as American history is still an uphill effort. For others, Juneteenth was the day the blacks were told they were free, a capstone to the emancipation drives a couple of years before...

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/african-americans-many-rivers-to-cross/history/what-is-juneteenth/

As for Cinco de Mayo, I once heard an interesting vignette about the victory against Napoleon's superior troops.

Mexican soldiers pretty much evacuated an open city, and the city welcomed the troops as liberators through celebration and massive drunkeness. Early next morning, Mexican soldiers ambushed the French troops with their pants down which gave them their biggest victory of the Napoleonic invasion. Historic French victory denied.

Pretty crafty lesson in asymetric warfare, though understandably whitewashed in historical contexts.

14. Poloshirtbandit

About to walk down to the parade in a few mins.