1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harvey Weinstein's Decades of Sexual Harassment

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 6, 2017.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You mean last week?

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

See there is a new thing that is becoming A THING
    I call it CONDITIONAL CONSENT
    basically . . you consent but only if certain parameters are met
    If they are not met. . . it is now RAPE

If you offer her a part .. but don't come through
    If you say you going to use a condom and don't .. . now it is rape

I am becoming to believe that this is the NEWEST THING
    People do something . . . for various reasons . .. and they don't get what they were promised
    now it becomes rape.

These are grown people making grown decisions
    If you had sex with him because he threatened your career . .. . is that rape?
    If you have sex with him because he promises to make you a star .. . then he doesn't .. . is that rape?

People been lying for sex since before prostitution

QUESTION: What is your definition of rape?
    Physical Rape is easy . . . . .
    these new types of a bit more murky.

Sexual Harrassment is not as clear cut as some would like

The question is: When does CREEPY become CRIMINAL?

Just having conversation

Rocket River

3. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

It may not have been just females...

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sexual harrassment and rape are not the same. Consenting to sex for an implied benefit isn't rape in a criminal sense but could certainly be considered sexual harrassment. In that case a crime might not have been committed but it could be a case for civil penalties. ONe of the lawyers here might be able to help me out but my understanding is most sexual harrassment cases are civil cases.

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Meryl Streep, award winning actress, says convincingly she didn't know.

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I love the faux outrage over Clinton and Dems not being harsh enough in their criticism of Weinstein. Could you imagine ANY Republican publicly condemning a Koch or Mercer or the NRA under any circumstance? Trump wasn't condemned by them... he was elected President on their watch.

No Republican has any right to say a GDamn word on this subject. But Liberals can, and I will.

Weinstein is a POS and hope he goes to jail much less getting banished from Hollywood. Its about time Hollywood had a real wake up call of what their "culture" actually looks like to the victims of the abuses of fame in that town. From the perspective of a guy like Weinstein, they think they are glorified like the idiots on Entourage. When really they are just sexual predators who use their fame to abuse other people. In real life Ari Goldstein isn't a lovable a$$hole who gay-bashes his own assistant, but they REALLY love each other... in real life Ari Goldstein in a creep like Weinstein whose assistant probably hates him when he says horrible and demeaning things to him.

There is a reason why the show Entourage was watched by millions too. Normal everyday people glorify this lifestyle and aspire to be like what they think guys like Weinstein, and Donald Trump are like when really they are just sick sexual predators who couldn't get laid if they didn't have the power and the money.

Invisible Fan and malakas like this.
  8. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I'm not sure what political orientation has to do with powerful people and sexual abuse. When it happens, victims stay silent because they (justifiably) worry about it ruining their careers. That's largely how it takes years if and when it ever catches up with someone, even notorious pedophiles.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  9. MystikArkitect

10. Fantasma Negro

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

12. Commodore

What about Koch is condemnable?

Built a wildly successful company, employs tens of thousands, is insanely charitable.

13. Commodore

One problem is an account or an accusation in isolation without a witness, or physical evidence, or corroboration, what are we supposed to do with that? The accused can't disprove it, short of an alibi.

The only way it has credibility is if multiple unrelated people level the same charge (ala Cosby, Clinton, Trump, etc.)

This is playing out as a positive feedback loop, one person leveling the charge gives other victims confidence they will be believed if they do the same.

14. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Weinstein is a disgusting POS who deserves everything bad coming his way.

Bill Clinton was awful for having an affair in the White House and it has always tainted my view of him (does not matter that it was consensual- it was the wrong thing to do, period).

Now, I will wait for Trump supporters to say the same about him.

And I have a feeling I will be waiting a LOOOOOOONNNNG time.

15. mick fry

mick fry Member

Connecting the Weinstein to left wing dots. SCANDELOUS!

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Using the AFP to try and push congress to end Medicaid once and for all is a start.

How about the Mercer’s... anyone in the GOP say anything when Rob Mercer made racist comments?

All I’m saying is Republicans have Zero moral High ground to stand on. You didn’t stand up and condemn your version of Harvey Weinstein... you made him President.

#56 dobro1229, Oct 10, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump harrasses many women and brags about grabbing p*****s, sympathizes with Neo Nazis calling them good people. Republicans look the other way and complain about democrats distracting from the issues. Weinstein harrasses women and gets caught, Republicans attack Democrats for being deviants and immoral.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

After hearing about all the jokes made about Weinstein previously including at the 2011 Emmy's it seems like this was widely known. I'm starting agree with those that said this should've been brought out publicly earlier and Weinstein held to account.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Same could be said of Cosby and many others.

Basically no one wants to be the first one to step up and create controversy since it would put the spotlight on themselves. But once it came out it was a lot easier to speak out.

So when you say this should be brought out publicly, whom are you saying should have stepped forward first? And is this a criticism of victims of sexual harassment and assault in general?

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

My understanding is that there were victims like Rose MacGowan and Ashley Judd who had come forward but weren't supported. My criticism is really more towards those in Hollywood who continued to work with and support Weinstein. If so many people knew then it wasn't just up to the victims to take action.