1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden: "Dwight makes the game easier for us"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Struggling or not, Howard makes game easier for us, says Rockets star Harden*

JAMES Harden sees the Houston Rockets guards and wingmen flourishing with the presence of a legitimate threat in the middle in superstar acquisition Dwight Howard.

Harden said the muscular 6-foot-10 Howard was a crucial inside the paint during the Rockets’ 116-96 rout of the Indiana Pacers even if the former Los Angeles Laker struggled in the first-ever NBA preseason game to be held in the Philippines on Thursday night. *

Howard, acquired by the Rockets in a blockbuster off-season, only had nine points, but helped spread the floor for the team with his towering presence inside.

Nonetheless, Harden likes the prospects of having a legitimate big man aside from*Omer Asik, who sat out the Manila game due to a calf injury, by attracting a lot of attention from the defense in the post.

“They open a lot of space, that gives us (guards) an opportunity to make easy shots. I’m happy to have those guys on the team,” said Harden, a three-time Manila visitor.

“Our fours are pretty good shooters, very versatile, can pass the ball and shoot it. It makes them difficult to guard,” he added.

Harden had a game-high 21 points but credited their defense in the early goings, now anchored by Howard, for their preseason victory against the Pacers at the Mall of Asia Arena.

He said the Rockets’ fast 12-0 start and holding a 15-point spread in the first period had something to do with their defense.

“Our defense was phenomenal. First quarter, I think we had a 15-point lead so just getting stops and creating points off turnovers,” said Harden.

“Obviously having Dwight (Howard), he really helped us contest shots, guards getting deflections. It is really a variety of things (on offense),” he added.

The bearded guard said the defensive effort easily led to easy points with almost everyone contributing to their cause, with Omri Caspi and Donatas Motiejunas chipping in 17 and 16 points, respectively.

“Just got good shots on the offensive end, moving the ball and finding Dwight if he is open. Our guards kept moving the ball and making easy passes to our teammates,” said Harden.

http://m.spin.ph/sports/basketball/news/struggling-or-not-howard-makes-game-easier-for-us-says-rockets-star-harden

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

The best way to describe the Rockets starting lineup in these past two games is "easy." Everything was easy. Both offense and defense. The Rockets got the shots they wanted. And their opponents were forced into less desirable ones.

Whatever the stats may be, it's clear that adding Howard makes the team better.

3. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Harden knows what's up. Just like his big bro KD got abaka now, Harden got his own D12. Things are starting to shape up nicely for Houston.

4. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I'm still curious who gets the nod as starting PF. Both of them played meh as starters, but excellent of the bench.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Harden is going to be absolutely amazing this year, especially if the defense he's shown these first two games carries over to the regular season.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He did not take Hibbert out but he contained him.
    Hibbert used to go all out on the Rockets and is still furious about going to the Dleague.

7. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

my obervation exactly....

8. conquistador#11

adding a defensive player of the year and a 20 plus scorer, makes it easier......mind blown.

9. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Still can't believe we got Dwight. :grin:. Hurry up regular season.

10. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

He was also making some nice passes to guys that were cutting to the rim for wide open layups.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

McHale harps on getting ball to front of the rim. Looking at the shot chart from the 3rd quarter...one mid range shot, three three point attempts (two attempts if not counting shot at 7 seconds left in quarter), and a huge pile of field goals in the paint (all pretty close to rim) for the Rockets. 11 mid range, 2 3PTAs, and 8 shots in the paint (only 4 near the rim) for the Pacers.

After Lebron and Durant, Indiana's defense was the third most difficult thing for the Rockets last year in my opinion. I have to remind myself that it is just preseason.

12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

"A three time Manila visitor"

I stopped there

13. Bill Worrell

Bill Worrell Member

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

As a former Navy guy who never went to Manila but knew lots of fleeties who did and who told me their stories, maybe Harden goes for the ping pong ball shows?

POP..........POP...........POP..............

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

In the past, I never didn't want Howard... but I was never that into bringing him in. The main reason I wanted him was because it made sense, he was a high profile target, likely the best at his position, and he was available. Other guys, like Kevin Love weren't available. Dwight was a logical fit. I wanted him, absolutely, but not terribly bad.

Until the Thunder series. We were working our asses off for rebounds and rim protection. Every single rebound seemed to be a struggle. Snapped be back into reality. That was the day I really, really wanted to get Howard. We would have won that series with Howard*. But yeah, easy... things are easy now.

*not saying much since Westbrook was out.

16. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

So he's giving credit? :confused::eek: