1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden concussion theory gets national attention (Washington Post)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, May 12, 2017.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

not sure I buy it, Harden did after all have a real concussion when Artest smacked him up the side of the head, kept him out for over a week as I recall. Can't believe the Rockets would have let him play last night if this was anywhere near the truth of the matter. Interesting it's in the Post though.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-he-have-a-concussion/?utm_term=.9bd341b3dc3b

James Harden was awful in Game 6, leading some to speculate: Did he have a concussion?

By Des Bieler May 12 at 12:56 AM

In the wake of the Spurs’ playoff series-clinching, 114-75 rout of the Rockets on Thursday, it was hard to know which was more shocking: that San Antonio could play so well without Kawhi Leonard and Tony Parker, or that James Harden could play so poorly. The Houston star scored just 10 points on 2-of-11 shooting in over 36 minutes of play, looking nothing like a leading contender for NBA MVP honors.

Harden’s Game 6 flop — on his home court, no less — was such a head-scratcher that it had some observers considering an intriguing possibility. What if he had been playing with the aftereffects of a concussion he suffered late in Game 5?

That was a question being posed by The Ringer’s Bill Simmons, among others. There has been no indication from the Rockets that Harden had suffered a brain injury in Tuesday’s overtime loss to the Spurs, but he did fall to the court after taking an elbow to the head from San Antonio big man Pau Gasol, and it could explain his struggles at the end of Game 5 and throughout a desultory Game 6.

In Game 5, it appeared that the Rockets were set for a crucial win at San Antonio when Leonard, an MVP candidate in his own right, was forced to leave with an ankle injury. However, Harden not only failed to take advantage of the absence of the league’s best perimeter defender, he was stunningly ineffective in the final four minutes of regulation and through the five-minute overtime period.

In that span (per Fox Sports), Harden scored four points on 1-of-6 shooting, turned the ball over four times, and committed two costly fouls, including an offensive foul on what could have been a game-winning possession with seconds left in regulation. As that 110-107 Spurs win unfolded, some wondered about the possibility that the five-time all-star had suffered a concussion.

On a Ringer podcast after Game 5, Simmons said “I really hope Harden had his bell rung, or something, because he was just [terrible].” As of this writing, the Rockets had not responded to a request for comment.

After Thursday’s game, ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith expressed complete befuddlement with Harden’s performance, saying, “I think there needs to be an investigation, to be quite honest with you. He looked like he was drugged out there, for crying out loud. Literally comatose.”

“Somebody might have slipped something into his drink,” Smith said of Harden. “Somebody might have done something to him. I have no clue. But that is not James Harden that showed up for the Houston Rockets tonight. Somebody with his jersey showed up. It wasn’t him. I cannot believe what I saw.”

In any event, Game 6 marked an ignominious end to what had been a majestic season for Harden. He took his playmaking abilities to new heights, leading the NBA with 11.2 assists per game while finishing second in points (29.1). He also led the league in win shares (per Basketball Reference), while taking a Rockets squad for which little was expected to the third-best record in the NBA.

In fact, taking into account that Harden became the first player in NBA history to total 2,000 points, 900 assists, and 600 rebounds in a single season, and that he was the first to both score and assist on 2,000 points in a season, some argued that he submitted the greatest offensive campaign in league history.

In time, those accomplishments will return to the forefront, as memories of the Thursday’s debacle recede. Meanwhile, though, many have been left wondering if Harden finished his season in full possession of his faculties.​

copies of tweets and photos at the link

2. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

Let's not invent excuses for Harden please.

#2 gumbleton3, May 12, 2017
    Last edited: May 12, 2017
  3. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

4. RESINator

RESINator Member

Sure... if you want to call a "concussion" as being a result of going to a strip club up til 4 in the morning along with drinks and being on the phone with Khloe Kardashian all night

ISOBall and sushimaster like this.
  5. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I think there's absolutely something to it. I was shocked at how things went, too. We all clearly saw how hard gashole hit him in the head when he flailed around.

oakdogg likes this.
  6. T for 3

T for 3 Member

And here. we. go.

CapelaOnlyFan and HadToDoItCF like this.
  7. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

LOL, acting like he had a TBI from game 5.......

I've seen dudes straight knocked out in my Thai boxing gym who have come out with EFFORT 48 hours later while the coaches tell them to sit their ass on the sideline.

People who postulate this nonsense have never actually had a concussion. It hurts and light stinks when it hits your eyes the next day, maybe 2 days later, and then you move on with life.

Quit acting like these guys are warriors when they refuse to stick up for their mom when clowns like Matt Barnes disrespect them......

8. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

I've never had a concussion (that I know of...), but it doesn't seem consistent with what I've seen of people who have had them. There can be ongoing effects but rarely like this sustained lethargy over multiple days that would explain Harden's play, even if that really was the case you'd think the Rockets' "best in the business" trainers would have asked him if he's okay. Not that I'm an expert...

I keep coming back to the idea that Harden might have some real mental health issues. It might just be some kind of anxiety problem or something deeper, but it could even explain why he's allegedly going nuts partying the morning of the game, because he's trying to drown out whatever's gnawing at him.

oakdogg and Richie_Rich like this.
  9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Neither the concussion nor the idiotic strip club UNFOUNDED RUMOR have any real evidence to lend it credence.

We don't know why Harden played like that. I hate that he went out like that.

I can hate that, give him his share of blame, and still think he's a great player that the Rockets are lucky to have on the team. I can do both of those things.

10. onreego

onreego Member

Pretty much this. Unless there's proof of either one we can speculate all we want but let's not go around saying things as fact in every thread like DD with the strip club statements.

We won't believe a poster saw someone at the corner store without pics but we're all quick to jump on a strip club story. The concussion theory is interesting but until there's something official, James played horribly along with several others because sometimes players just have bad games.

11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm all for Harden getting a brain scan. Let's see if doctors can figure out what is going on in that head of his.

12. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i prefer the anal probe excuse. aliens came to his house and raped him and now he's done for life as far as nba is concerned

thats usually my goto excuse when i royally **** up on something important

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Don't buy the 'concussions don't look like that' argument. Symptoms vary. And sometimes people recover quickly, sometimes symptoms linger. I'd be pretty disappointed in the Rockets if they knew he had a concussion and put him out there anyway. For one, it's bad for the player. For two, in retrospect, we'd have played better if Harden was held out.

DonKnock, oakdogg and francis 4 prez like this.
  14. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

sorry boss i cant make it t work this friday. got raped by aliens again. have to dig out this anal probe. they also said they're coming next week so i'll be devasted for the rest of the month. just send the paid leave papers to my fax before u check out, thx.

Dopamine and Hakeemtheking like this.
  15. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

NBA has concussion protocol that you should pass if there is any kind of concussion possibilty

COME ON

malakas likes this.
  16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Anyone have video of the hit?

17. jlwee

jlwee Member

Yes Harden is suffering with concussion so bad that he had to party whole night after game 6 loss. Lame excuse.

CapelaOnlyFan likes this.
  18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I got a concussion after watching the final score last night.

But that didnt stop me from getting on clutchfans and doing my work the following day.

Invisible Fan, Vivi, malakas and 5 others like this.
  19. Mr. Space City

i'm not a doctor but wouldn't partying with loud music banging and flashing lights be ummm not good for someone dealing with a concussion?

CapelaOnlyFan likes this.
  20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

We all know Harden would say "I'm good" whether he was good or not. Players don't like to use nagging injuries as an excuse. I'm sure he was banged up. But, I don't think that is why he didn't perform. It's like he said...he didn't have a rhythm. Some days, Harden can't dance.