1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden 2018... still a doubter???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, Jun 4, 2018.

1. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I don't think there should be any doubt left that Harden is one of the absolute best players in the NBA, and has already solidified himself as the 2nd best Rockets' player of all time and arguably a top 5 SG of all time. Given his lack of any "super-human" skill or athletic ability, that's truly remarkable.

But I do sometimes worry that the lack of a "super-human" skill, puts a cap/limit on him and a team with him as the true #1. We've seen every year that he has been a #1 option for us that his trademark efficiency tends to wither as the season lengthens. A lot of it is the tremendous load he has had to carry every year, including this year but still, it feels like he is "missing" something that other greats seem to have in their back pockets.

Right now, he doesn't really have anything to lean on that can separate him from other 99-percentile of players when it's tough/winning time, like other superstar have. He doesn't have the supreme-athletic ability of a MJ/LBJ/Kobe, the length of KD, the ignition factor of Curry, etc. His skills are deceleration and cleverness, but those can be compromised easier than other superstar skills, i.e. physical defense and an unfavorable whistle.

Let's be clear, I'm not trying to **** on Harden. He really showed a lot of growth this season and his playoffs this year were easily the best he's had with us. He had rough stretches and moments of frustration, but I never saw him give into the moment like he did last year which is huge.

And if there one huge positive to Harden, it is that he is absolutely a gym rat. We all poke fun of his tendencies to party with rappers and visit strip clubs, but its clear that during the day and in working hours, the guy goes at it like few others. Every year he comes back with something new to his game whether it be better iso-moves, a step-back 3, improved playmaking, etc. How many guys in NBA history can come off a 29/11/8 season and have an even better season afterward? Seem like every year we are saying that Harden has reached his prime, only for him to take another step forward.

Wylo, j3i, Invisible Fan and 4 others like this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Just ok. 7-20. 3-7 from three. 7 turnovers.

Put up stats and they won... it wasn’t exactly superstar stuff though.

3. kevcai

kevcai Member

I have no doubts that James Harden is a top 2-5 player in the NBA today and that we are absolutely blessed as a fanbase to have him in his prime. He can absolutely lead our team to a championship being the #1 guy and he continues to learn/grow each season as a leader.

Whether or not he is a generational talent or Mount Rushmore type of guy is still up for debate. These guys are the LeBrons, Jordans, Magics of the game. If he had beaten the Warriors in game 6 or 7 without CP3 then I think he enters that debate but the fact that he didn't shouldn't be frowned upon.

Don't hate him because he's not a top 10 player of all-time. Appreciate him because he absolutely is a top 10 player in the league today and we have a chance to win a championship because he is on our team.

EDIT: If LeBron and Harden magically switched teams for game 6/7 this year, the Warriors would absolutely still be the favorite. I believe we would have a better chance than we did but even having LeBron (arguable GOAT) on our team wouldn't have tipped the scales in our favor. Therefore, I don't think it should be held against Harden that he wasn't able to pull it off.

4. JayZ750

I pointed out flaws in pretty specific detail.

Nobody is perfect. Even Lebron. Even Jordan.

I pointed out flaws that were my concerns previously and remain so.

Also the goal is to have a player and team that is “super human”. This is the nba. That’s almost required to win a ring.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Well said.

Harden has arguably the best combination of skillsets in the league with his combination of ballhandling, crafty finishing, and smooth jumper but he does have some unfortunate limitations and that's elite athleticism along with stamina/conditioning. I doubt it's because he's "lazy". He had an impressive off-season before this run and tried his best to improve that aspect but it seems like he had childhood asthma issues and I'm not sure if that carried over as an adult for him. Maybe he carries around too much weight still but he always seems to get slow footed by the time the fourth quarter arrives and it's obvious with how flat his jumper becomes by that time and then it's compounded by opposing defenses pressing him and then he just falls apart and commits silly turnovers.

Zboy likes this.
  6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

photojoe likes this.
  7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Good post.

If anything, I admire Harden for being where he is given his lack of athleticism.

He wasn't gifted with the physical gifts and athleticism of the best SGs in the history of the game but he has still managed to be in the conversation of one of the best at his position in the history of the league.

If Chris Paul didn't go down or if Rockets made a couple more 3rs in game 7, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

In fact, we shouldn't even be having this conversation given that Chris Paul and James Harden just took the Warriors, a team full of All stars to game 7.

James Harden is NOT the problem. Chris Paul is NOT the problem.

Our problem is the 20 million/year we are are donating and its not even for a worthwhile charity.

The team will improve a lot moreif we can turn that 20 million into a productive piece, instead of the extra 5-10% you can squeeze out of Harden by nitpicking at him and trying to eliminate his shortcomings.

8. JayZ750

Regarding the what if the Rockets won comments.

Well for starters they didn’t.

For two had the only difference been Ariza went 4-8 instead of 0-8... I mean itd be a pointlessness conversation but I think the end analysis would be similar.

Hardens flaws continue to be problematic in the playoffs to the point he statistically meaningfully underperforms his regular season.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

As Long as Harden on the team......no one else is held accountable

Rocket River

gmoney411 and Reeko like this.
  10. JayZ750

Lol. Literally EVERYONE else on the team around him has changed. They've all been held accountable, except for Daryl.
    Even Les has moved on, though that's not exactly the same thing.

CapelaOnlyFan likes this.
  11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

31-7-8

15-18 FTs, Game 7 win.

What would you have him do?

12. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

If not for injuiries, Scott Foster, and an incredibly improbably streak of missed threes, you would have already lost the bet. So yeah, you should pay up.

Rocket River likes this.
  13. JayZ750

You asked me how he did.

I told you.

It wasn’t an amazing gamescore. It was solid but not the mvp level simple stats make it out to be.

The high turnovers and poor field goal shooting efficiency even in the win are of note as they are emblematic if issues that pop up frequently with him in the playoffs and come to be very troublesome in future playoff games.

That’s all.

Again it isn’t an argument of whether Harden is great... but rather how great.

Asian Sensation likes this.
  14. JayZ750

If morning for 5 missed lotto numbers I’d be a multi millionaire. So I should probably get to buying that Hawaiian ranch a salad well!!!

I so wish the world worked that way lol

15. jayfree

jayfree Member

You tell me how many Championships Jordan would have won if Pippen got injured in the middle of the New York Knicks series games?

Also tell me if we would have beaten GS if Harden would have been sidelined instead of Paul?

Rocket River likes this.
  16. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

No doubt what so ever.... BUT.... just like every other superstar in the NBA, he needs help to win. CP3 doesnt go down and we arent even having this convo.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I wonder if other fan forums outside of the Bay and Cleveland has these kinds of twisted all or nothing conversations on a regular basis. Ofc the desire to win it all is a legit topic, so it must be real tough for them to not even sniff conference finals contention. Must be a simpler life without tangible possibilities a player like Harden brings. They must have that dumbfuddled look like CJ McCullom had when asked if another team could be the Warriors. It just never occurred to them that it’s possible.

But we’re savvier. We know it’s possible, right? Except for one fat, bearded, and lazy flaw who doesn't Have Heart and Doesn't Show Up. Just one.

I wonder if Westbrook gets skewered at home as much as he does here.

AD being That Next Guy...for five years straight now.

Lollard and his troll cronies still reliving That Shot on Parsons.

They must wonder...WTF is wrong with them and why can’t they even get beyond the second round? Can’t they be traded for some draft picks already??

Bring in Hinkie! I want the Process...but better! Faster! Presti, pull out another All Star with the leftover scraps we still have! C’mon! Don’t these fools have the desire to win as much as I do!?!?

Real talk by Real fans who deserve better. Great offseason topic. 5 stars.

My bad, I quoted the wrong person on my phone. Fixed it after.

#97 Invisible Fan, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  18. Pbev99

Pbev99 Member

I normally don't like using the refs as an excuse, but when someone keeps getting hacked shooting threes and attacking the basket without getting any calls it's going to throw off his game. Only thing I wish he did differently was to shoot from mid-range since his threes weren't going down after the constant hacking.

Rocket River and hakeem94 like this.
  19. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

All NBA players have flaws and they must be problematic if we keep getting Golden St. vs Cleveland EVERY YEAR.

As far as the Rox go, CP3 going down while up 3-2 on the Warriors didn't leave us with enough to finish them off. If we could've fixed the $20 million hole in the Roster, it would've sure come in handy. But you're right we could "if" all day but facts are it didn't get done. But it's bigger than just blaming Harden.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  20. nemac

nemac Member

What if Harden got injured instead of CP3? CP3 couldn't have got past GSW by himself and then you'd be missing Harden. Which ever way you want to spin it the Rockets need them both to beat GSW.

Rocket River likes this.