1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden 2018... still a doubter???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, Jun 4, 2018.

1. photojoe

photojoe Member

Against one of the best teams of all time, we were literally a half away from going to the Finals and almost certainly winning a championship.

What makes you think that Giannis or AD or Westbrook or Wall or George or Butler or Lillard or anyone else would have been able to do better? Is it all of the amazing team success that those guys have had?

Nope. I'm down with Harden. He has come back almost every year better than the year before. I'm excited to see what he and the 2018-2019 version of the Rockets will do next year

2. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

They rested due to injury not by way of blowouts.
    Different brah

Stormy1234 likes this.
  3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Simple Question: who could have taken the Rockets further in these playoffs with the Same circumstances...... that is not name LeBron?

Rocket River

vlaurelio likes this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This wasn’t for me but I’ll give my answer based on what I saw this year and have seen in past years.

I think.. I think Harden is definitely the better all around player but CP3 is the more complete player and was better in his prime.

On great teams I’d rather have CP3 than Harden. On worse teams I’d rather have Harden than CP3.

For all the talk about playoff failures and needing talent around you, CP3s best teammates before this year were David West, Blake griffin and DeAndre jordan. Not exactly amazing.

More than anything though at this point his problem is health. I’m honestly not sure he went 100% full bore at any point in the season because of injury risk concern.

5. JayZ750

Yes and no. One.. rest is rest. Two it was partly voluntary at the end... to try and avoid injury.

6. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Griffin is better than any Rocket that Harden has played with.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  7. JayZ750

If I’m being honest I have two problems with this approach.

1. My goal is to win championships not to get close. I understand from past discussions on this that others value the ride. And I don’t discount the ride. I enjoy it. There’s no doubt you’d take Rockets over Kings for the last 20 years. I just don’t loke the fallback of well we went as far as we could.

2. This whole way of thinking about it troubles me. He’s the MVP. He’s the best offensive player ever. Amazing vision. Yada yada. It’s just a thought process that ignores flaws. Still... he needs to get way better defensively. Still he can’t go 2-13, 1-10, 2-11, 1-7, 0-10 etc on threes game after game. Still... lower turnovers. Still... MOVE without the ball. Just not my favorite mentality.

On the whole I judge people against themselves.

Harden is always way better in the regular season and that’s disappointing.

CapelaOnlyFan likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No one. Never did I once even remotely imply trading Harden. Stop jumping around totally irellevent topics. People irrationally blame Lin for an entire series. That's my premise.

9. JayZ750

Barely. And only then because of the change in style of the nba and Dwight’s personality issues.

But the Rockets (despite Hardens best efforts) did win that series and CP3 didn’t stem that 4th quarter avalanche.

Currently Griffin is an albatross around the Pistons organization that led to their coach / GM getting canned.

10. Asian Sensation

I never said Paul was better. I was just saying that it would be foolish to have hope in Harden but not Paul. They both need and compliment each other.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Problem I have with you approach is that ignores the competitive realities of the playoffs
    To put most or all the blame for the Rockets failing to make the championships on Harden's deficiencies is disingenuous

This is like saying . . . . Someone could not climb the impossible mountain that no man could climb
    that is was all his deficiencies. . . . .the reality is if he had what every mentalities you wanted him to have
    He would have to play FLAWLESS INHUMAN basketball to Overcome the 4 All Stars and 3 Refs

Even then I would be unsure if they would not have found another way

Can HArden improve? Yes
    Was he going against Incredible near impossible odds? Yes

EVERY PLAYER HAS FLAWS
    Put KD on this team and we would be b****ing about is 1-9 4th quarters
    Curry and we'd be talking about his shitty defense
    Klay . . .his inability to catch fire without catch and shoots off illegal picks

The mercilessly hammer Harden for no other reason than he is NOT LEBRON or MJ
    is ridiculous . . . .. .

Rocket River

photojoe, Reeko, Patience and 2 others like this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Reality is . .. If Harden goes down in Game 5 instead of Paul
    Do we win the last two games?
    Do we even come close?

Rocket River

13. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Last year= Harden needed help
    This year= the help got injured
    What we learned- Harden can’t do it alone but we already knew that.

Next season= the ceiling is the roof!

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  14. riko

riko Member

harden is a much better player then Chris and i don’t see how that is arguable but what Chris brings is the vocal leadership and grunt that players feed off. That is why they complement each other so well

15. Stormy1234

Stormy1234 Member

No

16. Asian Sensation

It goes beyond the vocal leadership and grunt. It’s called ball security. Something Harden struggles mightily with.

Harden is NOT a pg and we need to limit his ball handling responsibility hence why it’s vital to keep CP3.

CapelaOnlyFan likes this.
  17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Jesus, you're still hung up on 2014.

Are you remotely saying that harden is the same or regressed player now as he was then?

I know this is clutchfans where we don't let things go...like keeping a Lin thread for every new team he goes to, but the man has improved almost every year since then, even changed position.

Lillard for Harden would be one of those dumb trades people like you would beg and plead Murry to fix...right after another first round exit, the third since 2014.

#77 Invisible Fan, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

How did Harden play in Game 7 of that Clipper Series?

19. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

?????

I'm in the camp that thinks if the Harden/CP3 combo got a shot at 6 & 7 that We're still playing. But some just want to blame Harden.

20. HP3

HP3 Member

Prime for prime yes I could agree. But right now that's def not true at all. We've already seen this season what it's like with just Cp, make no mistake he came here for Harden and as much as I love cp(even more than Harden) there's no way we win game 6 and 7 if the situation is reversed