1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem says he'll be playing for the Heat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pole, Jan 31, 2001.

1. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Now that Mason will be an All-Star, will he be traded? Sure, we could make a trade work now, but Olajuwon alone wouldn't be enough. We'd have to give up Shandon, too, I think. That would be weird; your player makes his first All-Star appearance and the gets traded. But stranger things have happened.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ROXTXIA (edited February 01, 2001).]

3. Pole

I don't think Riley would trade Mason, but I do think he would trade Jones. We don't need Jones though, so there would need to be a third team.....or another trade.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

4. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

"It's supposed to be confidential," he says. So why is Dream talking about it?

I don't think the Rockets are just going to release him, so he can go help the Heat. The upside might be that he works hard for the remainder of his days in Houston, in order to sell his skills to Miami or another club.

And I'd rather have Brian Grant than Mason.

------------------
    I am Jack's utter lack of surprise.
    www.clutchtown.com

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He says"it's a reason he's working so hard
    for the playoffs"
    "Riley understands the game of big men"
    "I'd like to end my career on my own terms and not have it decided for me by someone else"
    The "confidential" part which sam talked about.
    First of all,if this is not taken out of context,I'm really shocked with Dream.
    Even if a deal is in place,Dream shouldn't be talking like that.This guy makes him sound like...I'm gone, I'm pissed,and here's a hammer for you Rudy.
    As far as a deal..Would you take on Grant's contract?..or would you take Mace or Jones plus whoever else and ship of a combo of players for inside help?..I hope this guy is wrong about the exact statements.....thanks Pole....the saga continues..damn

------------------

[This message has been edited by hardwood (edited January 31, 2001).]

6. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Remind me to never tell Dream a secret.

------------------
    I keep plugging away, but I just can't get a 3 way to work on realwife.com

7. Thanos

Thanos Member

Instead of respect, disgust. That´s what Hakeem makes me feel now.

Now all he has to do is blast a team mate and my Pippen comparison of a few weeks ago will prove to be true. Not that i have any pleasure at this. Quite the opposite.

Freak, what do you have to say now, I wonder...?

Hardwood: I would take Grant, no doubt about it. I was the hardest campaigner around here for his signing when he wanted out of Portland. He fits the team just perfectly.

------------------
    President of the Official Welcoming Committee for Shareef Abdur-Rahim!

[This message has been edited by Thanos (edited January 31, 2001).]

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

If he's gonna act like a little b**** like this, give him zero time. Let him retire on the bench. I'd rather play someone who's more interested in helping the team than showcasing his ability to get pushed out of the lane by scrub centers and miss point-blank layups. The sad thing is most teams would want him more for his potential defense and rebounding. But he's shown neither on any consistent basis this season, instead allowing his pathetic selfishness to shine through....whining about not getting enough shots and that the offense should start from the center position.

As much as I used to respect his game, right now I'd rather have Doleac. As much as I used to respect his character, right now I'd rather have Rider.

------------------

9. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

After rubbing my magic Real GM 8 ball I have come up with the following scenario...

Houston gets:
    SAR
    Country

Miami gets:
    Olajuwon

Vancouver gets:
    Bullard
    Eddie Jones
    Majerle
    A.C. Green
    + 343,750 in Cap exemption

Real GM trade link: http://www.realgm.com/tradechecker/checktrade.php?tradeid=86243

Would this make me party? Probably for about 5 minutes but it would definitely mean no Webberstakes unless We ditch Country for cap space.

CK

------------------
    Funniest comparison I have heard lately...
    Charles Barkley refering to John Lucas as George Jefferson

[This message has been edited by Castor27 (edited January 31, 2001).]

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, exactly how long has this been your goal Dream?

Unbelievable statement. Unbelievable.
    Did I miss something? Unbelievable.

screw this. Time for TheFreak to pack all Dreams jock straps and help him leave this town. screw this.

11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I can't believe Dream is still whining. It is so wonderful to know that Dream does not want to be here. It makes it hard to cheer for him, however. He always has to say something to fuel the fire. We were not ready to dump Dream. Yet, Dream is ready to dump us at a moment's notice. To hell with being loyal to someone who doesn't want to be here. He's not content so I'm not content.
    Rudy doesn't know how to coach the big men any more. See ya.

Surf

------------------

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanos,
    I like Grant too,always have.When he got hurt,I wondered if he would make it all the way back,but now that he's healthy,I'd be glad to have him....he'd break his back for us..lots of heart..and could be the soul of this team..
    I wonder what is happening on the Cato front,if this IS a done deal.
    Castor,
    I can't see CD taking on that capeater...let's pray THAT part doesn't happen,unless we ship him off to someplace like...Phoenix or Chicago
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by hardwood (edited January 31, 2001).]

13. Pole

I don't know whether to loathe Hakeem or start having more respect for Pippen.

When Hakeem could "play," Rudy ran EVERYTHING through him; now that Hakeem lets the rim block his shots, he blames Rudy for his lack of playing time and he has the audacity to say that some other coach knows "the game of big men."

Is this somehow better than calling one of your less than thin teammates "fat and lazy" in order to coerce a trade?

------------------

14. nyrocket

nyrocket Member

This is garbage. How about wanting to help YOUR team make the playoffs?

If Rudy and CD are concerned about a public backlash, they needen't be.

------------------

15. verse

verse Contributing Member

Haughty
    Arrogant
    Korrupt (sp)
    Egomaniacal
    Egocentrical
    Mendacious

pack your bags buddy...one way ticket...don't leave any breadcrumbs.

16. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I just cannot justify the statment, "We don't need Jones."

Pardon my ignorance, but Jones is great defensively, can score, and can play three positions.

If my choice is between Shandon or Jones....Hmm, tough one. JONES wins by a landslide.

Miami will not trade Jones. He is a large part of their success this year without Alonzo.

Hakeem's statment is ludicrous. I am appalled at the lack of class he is showing now. Interesting.....

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

17. verse

verse Contributing Member

mmmm, i don't know. that might drastically reduce the number of rockets calls to the talk shows. oh wait. we don't get any rocket calls.

18. Thanos

Thanos Member

Damn, I almost hate myself for STILL having some faith in Hakeem´s character.

Could all this be staged? Would Hakeem be willing to sacrifice his reputation so that the Rockets can trade him without any fears of a PR backlash? Could it?

Deep down I want that to be true. But i find it hard to believe.

Has Hakeem really become the creep we are seeing? Is he really being that dishnorable after having met Les last week and supposedely work things out?

Damn. Deep down I know it´s true. Now I now what it is to live in denial like the Freak.

Unfortunately, life has this nasty habit of shattering one´s Dream...

------------------
    President of the Official Welcoming Committee for Shareef Abdur-Rahim!

19. Pole

Hoop-T--

I'd consider giving up both Mobley and Shanden and Hakeem for Jones, Mason, and throw-ins if there were absolutely no political or emotional issues involved.

The fact is though, we could trade Mobley....but not without raising numerous eyebrows around the league. But if we trade Anderson before he gets his payday, we look like as big of an A-hole as Hakeem does right now.

So you may not be able to justify my statement, but I sure as hell can.

------------------

20. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Before we get our panties in a waddle and start issuing death threats to our local legend, lets keep in mind that Hakeem could easily have been misquoted or been misinterpreted by what he said. As stupid as that may sound, the same thing happened with Antonio Davis last week when he apparently said Orlando "was the perfect situation for me". He may have said that, but the Orlando Sentinial (aka the Magic Newsletter) failed to mention the rest of his quote, and that he was explaining why he has a home in the Orlando area, and how its the perfect sitution for him to have a home there.

Dream's could easily have been taken out of context. Until its proven otherwise, I'm willing to give the man the benefit of the doubt.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    There's a very fine line between genius and madness.

http://www.clutchtown.com