1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem and the issue of class

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Elvis Costello, Jan 31, 2001.

1. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

damn partner, your mean.

I don't want Dream to say or do anything that will hurt the Rockets... but com'on, he's in conversations and situations that you are not privy to. If he thinks that he's being screwed w/ or that the Rockets are wasting his time, w/ the old "here's a bone Dream" then he should do as he pleases to liberate himself. The power is not solely in the Rockets hands, of course, and relationships are a two way street.

1) The guy's been asking to be traded for some time now.

2) The Rockets have said that there are few, if any trades out there for Dream's salary. He can't really even be traded to a playoff team unless we blow our future.

Now of course it may be obvious in your eyes that he's going to get waived before the trade deadline. Sure, he's probably being dangled in some illegal cba situation merely to get rid of the pippen trio. But he's in the f@#$ing situation, not you. He's been talking about this forever, and nothing's happened. Don't you think you'd up the ante if it were you? Don't you think you'd take a more proactive stance regarding your future.

You guys are all a bunch of fu@#$n' whiners. You should be humbled to have even watched a day of Dream... not be wasting his last few days as if you're in a teenage relationship.

------------------
    I keep plugging away, but I just can't get a 3 way to work on realwife.com

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Okay Jeff, HP, you DON'T hate Hakeem. I can accept that. Have you guys read any of that 100+ post thread? I swear I have never seen so much Hakeem HATRED. Not disrespect, just plain HATRED. It is sickening to see how quickly some people can turn on someone when they don't get their way. There is some unbelievable stuff in that thread. I am not happy with the situation, but some people are comparing the Dream to the likes of criminals, and even to PIPPEN! It all makes me want to vomit.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You are probably not going to allow me to say, "no I wouldn't". But I'm still going to say it....No I wouldn't!! I would take the $16m. That is the only ante that rightfully should have been upped. I would love to play and change my game to suit the kids. Then I'd move on.

Don't say "you guys". Say me! and mention others by name. I really don't care if he leaves. I believe in accommodating him. Why did he have to get so impatient! I'm pretty sure this blows one big trade for us.

You may not be "whining", but you sure are "pining" for a trade. Dream blew one for you, imo. Do you want to take a guess at which one it was?

Then again, maybe he is faking all this so CD can scare the other team to pull the trade trigger for fear of Miami getting him a pure release.

We may never know!

But I am not whining about a teenage relationship. And I did cheer for Dream Tuesday at the Summit.

But telling me I should be humbled to watch a sports star is sheer and utter crap. I don't iconoclast Dream. I shouldn't have to. Don't even bother taking that back. That crap cannot be scrapped out of the archives.

Hey Dream, "You humble me." Dream would shake his head.

Humble me...please! yeah!

4. Elvis Costello

FrancisFan had a little hissy fit...

<<Sprewell did one bad thing. Scotties only dissed Charles and Houston, but he apologized for one.

Funny you bring those names up, instead of those ****ing murdererd that give sprts a bad name.>>

Ok, I know one might have to go slow for our "special" Rocket fans here, but this is ridiculous. In the first place, I wasn't writing a ****ing thesis about "what is wrong with sports." I was arguing that Hakeem is no saint and that his behavior is just as liable to be selfish as "classy." If you can bring actual evidence instead of an hormone imbalance to counter this point, you are more than welcome.
    Beyond that, you imbecile, it does not need to be said that the OJ's and Caruth's of the world are worse people than Hakeem, but they no more represent "what is wrong with sports" than bringing up Adolf Hitler, or Milosivec to talk about what is wrong with politics these days. If you disagree with what I said about Hakeem, fine. Just don't be such a blithering idiot in disagreement.

-Elvis Costello

------------------

5. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Is that anything like you turning on the team because they are not winning the way you want them to? Does "natural born losers" ring a bell?

------------------
    Behad
    Sergeant at Arms of the Clutch BBS

Asking the question: What is more dangerous, an AK-47 or a scooter?

6. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

You've obviously been luckier than I have, being able to watch Dream day in and day out. I've only had, probably 8 or 9(it'd be one more if it weren't for a scuttle w/ McDyess) chances to see Dream live. One of my opportunities was immediately behind the Rockets bench. I guess I should remember whether or not Clyde or Scottie were there. I don't. I remember Dream taking every player the Jazz could throw at him for 27>(?) points. Dream shakes ten feet in front of me, the works.

Feeling 'lucky' to me equates w/ humility. That's why I chose the 'humbled' word.

Huuuhhh??? Wha...??? Like... Whatever Major Loser. [​IMG]

------------------
    I keep plugging away, but I just can't get a 3 way to work on realwife.com

7. FrancisFan

FrancisFan Contributing Member

**** you, you stupid b****. I was just trying to defend Spree because he did one thing wrong and you treat him like he's ruined basketball.

and let me give you a letter, Charles Barkley style:

Dear Elvis Costello,
    **** You.
    Love,
    FrancisFan

------------------
    Cuttino Mobley Online

8. Elvis Costello

Francis Fan...

When you act like a 12 year old girl who had her first period you will get treated like one. Now, I will go slow so your tiny little mind can follow along: Latrell Sprewell has *nothing* to do with the main point of what I originaly wrote. Got it? Am I going too fast for you? Has your step-mommy hidden your 5th grade dictionary? When you can, you know, read and write english and stop acting like an idiot come and talk to me. Now run along and resume masturbating to your pictures of Spree.

------------------

9. FrancisFan

FrancisFan Contributing Member

**** you you stupid mutha ****ing b****. If Sprewell had nothing to do with the topic why the **** did you mention him?

**** you, you stupid mutha ****ing b****.

------------------
    Cuttino Mobley Online

10. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Gee, I'm awfully sorry I'm not too thrilled when the Rockets lose. Would you stop bringing up old posts that were simply methods of venting frustration, please. I have not turned on the team. I wouldn't still be posting here if I wasn't still a fan of the Rockets.
    Behad, HP, and all my hateful followers, I hope we can accept any disagreements we may have. I am not here to "internet argue", I am here to bash Mob-uhh I mean, I'm here to discuss the Rockets'game action and roster moves.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

You are so wrong Elvis, Hakeem does have class. Just ask Shaq. For you to take this opportunity to say Hakeem has no class is pretty lame. You probably just wanted to see your name with that big number of responses next to it. He is the most respectful player in the NBA you will ever see. Do you seem him out there disrespecting his opponent? No. Does he talk trash? No. What about endorsements? Hakeem picks a shoe that people can actually afford. Hakeem plays the game like it should be played. That's called class. Hakeem is a man that parents and coaches can point to and tell their kids/players "There--that's how you should conduct yourself on the basketball court". Shame on you Elvis!

Pump it up.

12. sithpooh

sithpooh Member

It's truly sad that it's come to this with the best big man of all time. Hakeem looks so very sluggish these days, and he seems to labor up and down the court. Although he's Houston's #1 citizen, if he wants out, let him go! Unfortunately, he's just getting too much damn coin to do a trade. Several years ago, 1992 to be exact, with the whole "faking an injury" bit, I didn't want to see him leave. Even a while back, when the rumors flared about going to Toronto, I was ticked. But it's no longer his team, and if he wants out, then look at it this way: he brought 2 championships to Houston, and the Rockets aren't going to the finals this year, and neither are the Heat. Good luck, Dream, with whatever you do. You'll always be my favorite athlete. Peace.

------------------

13. Elvis Costello

Ok, Freak. Will you not agree that there is a difference between saying Hakeem has no class and saying that Hakeem has tended to act with as much selfishness as class during his career? As I stated originally (in plain english), under adversity Hakeem does not act with anymore class than the average person. That does not mean that I think that Hakeem has no class, ok?
    Now, Freak, if you disagree with me, fine. I have followed and loved Hakeem (the player and, for the most part, the person) since 1982. I stand by my original statement, however. Hakeem has always looked out for number one as much as the next guy. Recall the events with Steve Patterson in 1992, how he ran Sam Cassel out of town and his decision to quit (is it anything but, Freak?) on this year's team. Does that make Hakeem a bad guy? Of course not. Nothing can diminish Hakeem's contributions to the city, but Hakeem is currently treating his teammates, the organization and Houston with something less than honor. No clumsy attempt at browbeating (only in a dork's...Freak, is this you?... world would anyone write to a BBS board just to boost their ego) will convince me otherwise.

-Elvis Costello, who used to be disgusted and now tries to be amused

------------------

14. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Right about now the sun is setting and Hakeem is on his knees asking Allah to deliver him to the Miami Heat. LOL!

------------------

[This message has been edited by ROCKETBOOSTER (edited February 02, 2001).]