1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GUYs, try to suggest some solution for the FRONTING problem.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by janpwnz, Feb 24, 2009.

1. janpwnz

janpwnz Member

We all know that we won't go far in the playoff if we can't utilize Yao and play inside-out ball. We have Ron/AB/Shane who are deadly from beyond the perimeter. Take the ball away from Yao simply utter the offense from our beloved Houston Rockets. We need to suggest some ideas for our team and maybe some rockets affiliated individual would come read the threads and take ideas from us. There's a saying in Chinese "3 Lazy Elephant > the smartest tactician". It basically means that forces combined are better than one lone powerful force. (something like that) Personally, I am really really frustrated to see how the rockets are struggling against the Fronting defense on Yao. We need to solve this!!

Here's one that i thought of. It might not work but i am trying to think of something!!>< I know it might not seems as easy as i type it, but i am just giving it a try anyway.

First, we need to get Yao to a good position to be front where he has plenty of space behind him.

Second, we need Artest act as a passer at the top right corner on perimeter to pass the ball. (45 degree from the rim)

Third, we can send shane to the deep corner 3 on the right box with Yao as a decoy for 2nd option (AS A DECOY!!)

Forth, leave Scola out on top of the key to act as a shooter so his defender has to step out to guard him.

Fifth, Utilize AB's speed. Have him cut from the baseline and beat his man to get under the basket.

Here are the result that i THINK would happens in the real game.

1.) If they didn't catch him cutting through backdoor. We can have an easy basket because of the huge space left behind Yao.

2.) If scola's man collaspe on AB, Artest can just pass it to scola for a wide open jumper

This is the formation

Bat

Ron (front)Yao

(rim)
    Scola
    |
    |
    AB

Dashes are AB's path and i think it might works. Just my thoughts ><

2. janpwnz

janpwnz Member

daymn it, the graph didn't come out right. Hopefully u guys can picture it in your mind. >< I apologize :( :(

3. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

the got already a play but Artest and AB miss him a few time when he was open once the swing the ball to the other side and then they gave him the ball late and he got call for a 3 second.

4. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

ok heres a weird one. have 4 guys parked at the free throw area. One of them has to be Yao. Have only Yao cut into the lane and have our point Brooks lob it into him. Or sometimes just have Brooks go one on one while all four our guys just stay around the free throw area. The other team will be confused as heck. We could run it everytime we have trouble geting the ball to Yao in the post because of fronting. The other team would have to worry about the 3 sec defensive and illegal defense so yes they will stay with our players around the ft area and can't protect the paint very well. :D

ok heres how it looks like. Of course Yao will need to practice catching the lob pass over the shoulder like TO.

[​IMG]

#4 rocketman1979, Feb 24, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Suckers always fronting!

6. janpwnz

janpwnz Member

I saw that play too, but i am trying to find ways to take what the defense gives us. When they are fronting Yao, it leaves a huge space behind Yao and we can take advantage of that. ><

7. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Rockets need a PF that can spread the floor, that way they can have the lane open when Yao gets the ball.

8. janpwnz

janpwnz Member

I doubt that he will have time to read my email during the playoff when he scratches his hair off trying to figure out how to take advantage of the very same problem

9. janpwnz

janpwnz Member

Bigs that are mobile like aldridge or KG can stay fronting Yao all day no matter how open the lane is ><

10. ibm

ibm Member

an ancient topic. but mainly -

lob - barry is good at this. and yao needs to get accustomed to it and not fumble. once he receives the ball, needs to keep in mind cannot charge the next defender.

shoot - so yao have the inside position for offensive rebound.

swing the ball, get him open in the middle or the other side. (and when that happens, do not hesitate to throw the pass like tonight.)

am i missing something?

need practice. easier said than done.

11. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

yao needs to learn how to alley-oop that sucker! either that or someone from the wing needs to run through yao and go for an alley-oop.

solution? alley-oop!

12. janpwnz

janpwnz Member

Lob-This is a No No. We all know how unsuccessful it as been to lob the ball to Yao. He has butter finger and he's not fast enough to get the ball 9/10 times the times i saw.

Swing the ball-Again. It wont' work against the likes of KG and Alridge, the long mobile bigs because they will just stay fronting all day since they are MUCH faster than yao.

Shoot-It's not like the passer doesn't have a defender on him. They are not doubling Yao. They are just Fronting yao

13. janpwnz

janpwnz Member

This is exactly what i am thinking! a guard from the other side run straight toward the rim for something easy! ughhh!! does it not work in reality or RA just cut that page out of his playbook??!??!

14. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Their saving that for the playoffs!!

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

If you put code tags around it, the leading spaces won't get removed:

Code:
    This is the formation

Bat

Ron       (front)Yao

(rim)
             Scola            
                                 |
                                 |
                                AB

Dashes are AB's path and i think it might works.  Just my thoughts 

16. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Get the ball on the baseline and use Yao as a pick, and it should be an easy layup.

17. janpwnz

janpwnz Member

I hope you are right on that ><

18. janpwnz

janpwnz Member

Thank you so much Durvasa! it was my first thread and i didn't know the you know how. i am just extremely frustrated after watching the hundreds of rockets game strugglin against the fronting defense ><

19. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

That's not what I meant.

If the PF can pull his man away from the lane, that gives the other guys an open key. They can cut to the basket and have Yao look for them.

There was one play that worked perfectly in this game. Battier had Channing Frye guarding him (why? I have no idea), so the Rockets put Battier and Yao on the same side. Battier threw it in to Yao and stuck around the 3-point line. Channing Frye started to slowly drop toward Yao to double-team him, but Yao picked up the dribble and threw it out to Battier who hit the open 3.

20. ibm

ibm Member

that is a big misconception. i have all rockets games recorded. go back and watch (not only this season). lob actually has been a quite good pass. they just need to practice it.

and what's your suggestion? i hate to be shot down w/o seeing the counters from another guy.