1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Guidelines

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I hear the N-word used on the bus to/from work far more often than I hear the so-called G- and R-word.

I don’t see what you are seeing.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Unfortunate because I'm with @Granville on this one, and PM discussions cut me out. I understand the distinction your making between thoughtlessness and hatefulness, but I think "r****d" is a word worth some policing. There was a time "******" was thrown around thoughtlessly, perhaps coming ultimately from a malicious place, but so mundane and ubiquitous that it'd often be said matter-of-factly without any specific malice. We still don't think that's okay. We asterisk it out here so it can't be uttered. "r****d" occupies that same space and probably deserves similar treatment (especially considering our own history here) -- asterisk it, and complaints and work-arounds are reviewed by moderators.

Granville and Harrisment like this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I didn't move it to PM to stifle conversation. I moved it to PM because
    1) The individual in question is under moderator review so it's easier for him to communicate with PM I think
    2) Didn't think it was something the rest of the board wanted to discuss

With that said, I don't have the power to create swear filters. If the issue is something that you guys think should be a board wide removal of the word that probably should be taken to the feedback section to offer it up for @Clutch to consider in there. The word isn't currently a banned word on the site so the question at hand FOR ME to consider is whether I'm going to take moderator action in this section when it's used. I've stated by opinion on the matter, but am open to input. I'm carrying on a dialogue with Granville and I'm always willing to listen to what others think. Again though, if you think the board should have a policy banning the word you should start a thread in the feedback section.

JuanValdez likes this.
  4. justtxyank

This example isn't even in the D&D. You provided other examples in your PM that were. Your barking up the wrong tree trying to convince me the use of the word is bad. I agree it's bad. What you need to convince me of is that the board is better off with me censoring posts that use it.

#44 justtxyank, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'm going to self-regulate but I appreciate you taking the time to hear it out. Those of us who grew up in the 80's used words like the r word and gay, not in a malicious way but just as kids saying dumb things. I don't think it's too much to expect a little sensitivity to the use and impact of those words as adults.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm open to censoring the word "r****d". I think it's an extreme action and a slippery slope, but if the majority want the word censored, I'm fine with it. But what is important to understand is that if a word is used, it reflects on the user that used it. People can get around censors easily.

It's also way past time for Granville to start being truthful with people.

He could start by telling people why his account is under "moderation". What could you possibly have done that made that a mandatory move, Granville? Think. And why don't you go ahead and post the full text of it here so people can decide for themselves how honest you've been.

King1, BullRider, jcf and 2 others like this.
  7. Granville

Granville Member

My response to Clutch is being held hostage until I post my email to NBA Cares

#47 Granville, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    JuanValdez likes this.
  8. justtxyank

I think it's pretty weak that you got upset over this and decided to try to damage @Clutch professionally. You really escalated this in a way that wasn't appropriate in my opinion. I don't know if you could actually have done any damage, but if you got the end result you wanted you would have cost him his credentials which would have seriously damaged not only him but this BBS for everyone. That seems like a really disproportionate way to handle what Bobby did.

I respect the work you do. I've researched your non-profit and it's a good one. I wish you would have found a way to handle this differently.

9. jcf

jcf Member

It was not very difficult to see this is what was going to happen. He was egged on by KevC and others to report this site and then stated he was going to do so. He was not hiding it. I have been perplexed by those who have used him as a martyr since.

Also, I can't tell from your post, but I assume the email was sent and hopefully no damage was done. But, I'm afraid this is likely not over. Can't imagine why someone would stick around while monitored unless hoping to build a case.

Granville, you and I pm'ed when you first posted about your son. I really respected you and what you were doing for your family and others. I know you can't see it, but your view is very skewed at this point. NMB, but I think it would be healthy for you to let go of this.

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The same KevC that was wrongly accused by people on here for attacking Clutch via FB when it turned out that it was someone else?

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

You need to get your facts straight if you're actually defending Kevin Choi's behavior.

12. jcf

jcf Member

What does one have to do with the other? It is a fact that he was advocating for exactly what we see above. I'm not sure what you are defending.

13. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

@Clutch, may I suggest you refer to members by their usernames? I don't think we should be listing real names.

As for the topic, lol at this drama. Serious business.

Newlin, AroundTheWorld and Harrisment like this.
  14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Whatever history there is, I hope we can all agree that doxing isn’t the way to go.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I still suggest leaving this site if it gets to the point where you have to write a letter like this.

16. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Oh, the irony.

There's no doxxing of your friend, Harrisment. He's made his name public record on the board.

17. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I don't think I've ever doxxed anyone if that's what you're implying. If not, my mistake.

Also, I've never met kevc, nor do I believe that @Duncan McDonuts has who was also bothered by it. I'm just not a fan of calling out users by name, but if you think that's appropriate, then you do you.

Duncan McDonuts likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This is so ridiculous, I wish I could say that I can't believe this is still an issue something like 3 months later. It's beyond time for this to stop one way or the other.

jcf likes this.
  19. mrm32

mrm32 Member

It probably could have been avoided if you just apologized like you were asked to from the start.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I did twice....

Also, at this point, if people are still trying to go after CF or Clutch about the issue it has nothing to do with me....it has everything to do with them. While sure, I'm the one that crossed the line with an over the top angry retaliation to being trolled and personally attacked, but that's not an excuse for people to act inappropriately for months afterwards and to go after CF or Clutch. If those people want to hold a grudge and remain pissed off at me, that's fine, understandable to a certain extent even, but targeting others the way they have is unacceptable.

body slam, King1 and AroundTheWorld like this.