1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Great games for the gamer on a budget

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RC Cola, Sep 28, 2005.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Lately, I've been looking for some great games that I missed out on playing in the past few years, such as MGS 2, Silent Hill 2 and 3, Ico, and others. Luckily for me, these games can be had for a fraction of the cost of some of these newer games, especially if I do some preparation...like finding discount codes. I think I was able to come up with a 5-6 used game combo at EBgames.com that cost ~$50, although I didn't go through with it since I'm still thinking about my options. The point that came across to me was that I could basically get several high quality yet slightly-dated games for the cost of one brand new game, which may or may not suck.

So since I'm guessing everyone here likes the idea of quality games at a cheap price, I thought maybe we could make a thread for these games. If you know of a great game that can be purchased for a reasonable price, post about it here. I guess I'll make some basic guidelines though.

1st off, try to keep the price of the games at under $30; I'd prefer $20 and under, but there might be some great games that fall between those two prices. If you can, post a link to a retailer (EBgames.com, Gamestop.com, Bestbuy.com, etc) that sells the game at a <$30 price. If you don't have one but know of a store that sells it at that price, the name of the store would be helpful. Used/pre-played games are fine; in fact, I'll probably post links to used games instead since they are usually cheaper and are usually just as good as brand new.

2nd, keep the sports games off the list. I think this one is pretty self-explanatory; maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone will be looking to buy Madden 2001-2004 for $15 total. :)

3rd, post some reasons as to why you think the game is good. Feel free to post links to reviews, but it would be nice if you add in some comments of your own to summarize the game, especially since a 2001 review may not be as reliable anymore. If the game is multiplatform, mention what platform you played it on.

I'll be posting mostly PS2 stuff since that's mostly what I've played, but pretty much any current-gen games are fine, including handhelds (GBA, DS, PSP, although not too sure how many PSP games are under $30). PC games are fine as well, although try to keep it somewhat recent. Despite the awesomeness that was Wing Commander III, it really doesn't fit next to Half-Life, Morrowind, MGS 2, etc.

I'll go ahead and start it off with my list:

Spider-Man 2 (PS2 version)
    http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/235736.asp ($18 used)
    http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/914915.asp?q=Spider Man 2 (82%)

Put simply, this game is GTA in the Spider-Man world and w/o the M/AO rating. The graphics, sound, AI, controls, etc. were all so-so, but the real fun was web-slinging across the city. This was the first superhero game I played that really made me feel like the superhero. If I felt like saving some civilians, I'd do it. If I felt like throwing some cars at the baddies, I'd do that. If I felt like jumping off of the tallest building in the city, I'd do that. It was just a fun simple game, whether you were a fan of Spider-man or not.

As I noted, I played the PS2 version, although the game came out for each of the consoles I believe. I think there was a PC version as well, but IIRC, it was a completely different game.

Psi-Ops (PS2 version)
    http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/234026.asp ( $15 used)
    http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/914551.asp?q=Psi ops (86%)

This was another one of those fun action games. This is basically a 3rd person action-shooter type game with a few unique qualities, such as the ability to use telekinesis, pyrokinesis, mind control, etc. The game also had a nice physics engine, which combined with the Psi powers, were real fun to watch. I spent a lot of time just picking up enemies with my mind and throwing them across the room. Much like Spider-man 2, Psi-ops is a average game made fun due to a few unique features.

Again, PS2 version of a multiplatform game, although I think it was only PS2 and Xbox.

Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
    http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/219948.asp ( $18 used)
    http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/516587.asp?q=Kingdom Hearts (87%)

I remember not wanting to like this game due to some of the casting (think a NSYNC guy voiced Sephiroth) as well as the seemingly "kiddy"-themed nature of the game due to the Disney influence. I went ahead and gave it a shot since it had FF characters, and boy am I glad I did. The game did have some issues, such as the camera at times, but it was a nice action-RPG. And surprisingly, I actually liked the Disney characters, especially since the game had its "darker" moments as well. The music was pretty strong as well, IMO. In my eyes, this went from a bad decision by Square-Enix to a great idea for a new game series. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to KH2 and any other sequels.

Shadow Hearts II: Convenant (PS2)
    http://www.gameexpress.com/product_detail.cfm?UPC=031719269242 ( $18 new)
    http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/915253.asp?q=Shadow Hearts (87%)

This game came out of nowhere for me. A friend of mine had the game, and since I was wanting to play a RPG, I ended up with the game after he was done. A couple weeks later, I finally finished one of the, if not the, best RPG's on the PS2 (IMO). I can't really say enough how much I loved the game. The battle system was awesome. The story was great, IMO. The graphics were solid, as was the music. The game was moderately long for an RPG, and had a bunch of sidequests. I thought the CGI in the game was gorgeous as well, and it really made some of the scenes in the game standout. I didn't really have any complaints for the game. If you like RPG's, this is a must-buy (or must-find as I'll discuss later). FWIW, I also played the 1st game, which, if you can, you should probably play as well. Besides also being a solid title, SH2 is a direct sequel to SH1 and does refer to some things that went on during SH1. You can probably do without it, but I'd really recommend it.

Now, while this is a "budget title," it may be incredibly hard to find. As you can see, this game broke up my EBgames.com streak. AFAIK, both EBgames.com and Gamestop.com do not have the game, as well as other sites. I cannot comment on the retailer given in the link, but you may be able to find a similar deal elsewhere. In fact, it may be better to see if you can buy this game at a store instead of online; that's how my friend bought it (local GS/EB, forgot which one). The game should be ~$20 new at most places; you may even get lucky and find a copy with both SH1 and SH2 included.

Dark Cloud 2 (PS2)
    http://www.gameexpress.com/product_detail.cfm?UPC=711719721321 ( $16 new)
    http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/561438.asp (89%)

Like KH, this is another fun action-RPG. The story isn't massively complex or deep, but that's not really what makes the game great, unlike other RPGs. The combat/weapon system is unique for one. Basically, instead of the character leveling up, the weapons/items do. Keep using a weapon and it will get stronger. Combine certain types of weapons to make powerful weapons. It is a simple yet complex system that is pretty addicting. Besides that aspect of the game, you also will be doing a little bit of "town building." This adds a little bit of strategy and resource management. In order to advance, you'll need to build this building. In order to build that, you'll need some rocks. In order to get some rocks, you must fight enemies and find them or buy them. Etc..etc..etc. The game is cel-shaded and is done rather well, IMO, which says a lot since I don't typically like cel-shading. The music was OK, as was the VO. There are also some nice sidequests here, including the ability to invent things as well as a fishing minigame. Unlike SH2, it isn't really necessary to play Dark Cloud 1. There's really no relation at all, although again, DC1 is a solid title.

I have the same retailer here as I did for SH2. I got my copy of the game from Overstock.com a while back for like ~$14 during a deal they had, but the norm for prices seems to be $15-$20 online. Again, going to actual stores may be a better decision here.

TES III: Morrowind GOTY Edition (PC version)
    http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/239339.asp ($20 new)
    http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/913818.asp?q=Morrowind (89%)

First off, if you don't like these wide-open, non-linear RPG's, quit reading. Morrowind takes that concept and does it to the extreme, much like every TES game. It is like the GTA of RPG's. You create a character and then you end up in a town, free to do whatever you want. The main quest takes up maybe 10-12 hours or so depending on how good you are, but that doesn't really matter. You could buy the game and never even attempt to "beat" the game. Just explore the landscape, going from town to town, fighting off a couple of vampires, werewolves, demons, etc. Maybe you want to take a job at a Thieves Guild and steal precious items from the richest of the rich. Go right ahead. Nothing's stopping you. Just with the main game alone, you can spend hundreds of hours exploring gameplay opportunities. Throw in the two expansion packs and the downloadable mods, and you may never have to uninstall the game. By the time you get tired of exploring the main land, you can download a mod that adds an entirely new island, full of new items, dungeons, enemies, and even people. As far as negatives, the game is buggy...real buggy. It is not unusual for the game to crash and leave you at the desktop for no apparent reason (w/o saving). There is also a lot of walking to do, which can be boring for some people. And again, not sure how many people actually like the idea of this type of game. I personally love the idea, which is why I'm a big fan of the series, but obviously everyone isn't. While I spent hundreds of hours playing the game, some of you may just spend a few hours playing it and find out it just isn't for you.

As I mentioned, I played the PC version, which I think it probably the superior version due to the mods. The Xbox version should be similar though, especially since it comes with the two expansion packs.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (PC version)
    http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/227256.asp ( $20 new)
    http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/516675.asp?q=KOTOR (93%)

For a while, I always wondered why there was never a good Star Wars RPG. Well, after KOTOR came out, I didn't have to wonder anymore. Like Morrowind, KOTOR does offer a little bit of freedom to the player. The game may insist that you act like a jedi, but you don't have to save everyone you see. It was really fun to build up my character from a basic guy-with-a-laser-gun to a powerful jedi master (yeah, I'm a goody two shoes). Considering the amount of freedom you have, the game is still able to have a great storyline. I won't spoil it, but the game does take some interesting twists and turns. The graphics were nice, and the characters in the game were...um...interesting (love HK-47). For me, the game did a great job of making me feel like I was in the SW universe, which is a plus considering some licensed games. The battle system is somewhat like other D&D video games (like NWN), although with a SW twist. It isn't needlessly complicated, but it is a little different than other RPG's, especially on the consoles. I will say that while I was fine with the battles, it may turn some people off. A friend of mine really wanted to play the game, but once I showed him how it played, he quickly changed his mind. Nevertheless, the game is one of the better RPG's released on the PC in the past few years, and probably the best RPG on the Xbox.

Again, PC version of a game also on the Xbox. Unlike Morrowind, I didn't see too many mods/add-ons for KOTOR, so there probably isn't too much of a difference between the two.

Eh...that's it for me, at least for now. There are a couple other games I would suggest, but this is taking a little longer than I thought and I'm drained. I'm interested in seeing some of the suggestions from you guys. There are tons of other PS2/PC games I didn't mention since I never played them (Katamari Damacy, Silent Hill games, ZOE 1 and 2, Ico). And then there's the games on the other consoles/handhelds that I may not know as much about.

BTW, in case any of you guys actually follow through on getting these games, check out CAG for some codes (mostly for EBgames.com and Gamestop.com)
    http://www.cheapassgamer.com/
    I mentioned this in another thread, but if you know the codes and have a discount card, you may be able to get as much as 25% off of used games with free shipping. There could also be better deals elsewhere, so keep that in mind.

Wow...I didn't even notice that I put my list of games in order from least rated game to highest rated. That was completely unintentional. :confused:

2. yobod

yobod Member

Great Post RC

Here are some recent purchases of mine:
    These were purchased at gamestop this past summer:

-Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2)- $20
    I beat Solid, and Sons of Liberty. Ive been dying to beat this game. Ive beaten all the ones listed below and saving this one for last. Fingers crossed.

-Onimusha Warlords (PS2)- $7
    Just beat it a few days ago. Really fun hack and slash game, like playing The Last Samurai minus Tom Cruise.

-Medal of Honor Frontline (PS2)- $7
    Best in series IMO, Steven Spieldberg game so its got a great epic feel to it. And the graphics are great, its like controlling Saving Private Ryan.

-Ico (PS2)- $15
    Really immersive game, very subtle, unique experience. Sort of like a more sophisticated Tomb Raider with a little bit of mystery.

-NCAA Football/Topspin (XBOX)- $8
    Price on this one significantly dropped after the 2006's came out. NCAA football never changes much so still a great game, and Topspin of course is the best tennis game on the market. Great with a friend around or just playing through a season with your favorite college. (BAYLOR!!)

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Last week I went to Borders and picked up Mario Tennis and Resident Evil 4 for 25 bucks each.

If it has a 50% off sticker on the case, like Halo2, NBA Street vol.3 or Metal Gear 3, then you're good to go....

Best thing about this deal is that you can call them for availability and they'll hold the game for you to pick up.

That must've took a while to write RC...

4. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

Capcom Classics Collection

5. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Dude, you have to put Burnout 3 on that list.

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Most of the PLAYSTATION 2 Greatest Hits are good for about 19 bucks at Wal-Mart. Some suck.
    Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
    Grand Theft Auto III
    Medal of Honor - (forgot which version)

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Beyond Good and Evil (XBOX) ~$20

Great game. Puzzles are fun and generally easy to execute once you figure it out. Fighting is a little on the simplistic side, but you rarely need to use fighting as stealth is used very well in this game without being overdone. There are a couple of good chases in the game.

Would have been much better with a few more side missions/minigames.

8. RC Cola

That's one of the games I didn't get a chance to put up. I absolutely loved the game, although I will say it was the first MGS I really played. It basically sold me on the series, which explains why I mentioned MGS 2 earlier. MGS fans may react differently towards the game than I did, but I doubt it since I've heard great compliments from some of them as well. I'm sure you'll love MGS 3 when your finished.

Well, I did divide my post into parts (one or two games at a time), so it wasn't like I sat there typing for 3 hours. Still, it did take a lot longer than I originally thought. I was originally thinking about putting maybe 10-15 games up there, but there was no way that was going to happen last night. Thank goodness for pricegrabber.com, gamerankings.com, and Firefox tabs. :)

I'm going to try and finish off that list sometime. I still have a few PS2 games in mind, and I know there are some PC games that I'm forgetting.

BTW, great games mentioned so far. BG&E sounds like a great game, and MOH sounds like a good FPS for me to play.

9. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I want List of cheap but good PC games. RPG and strategy types. List them if you know.

10. G.O.A.T.

G.O.A.T. Contributing Member

Pocket Pool.

11. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

RC Cola, please tell me you've played MGS (PS, not Twin Snakes on GC). If you haven't played MGS, I highly recommened playing that game well before MGS2. In terms of gameplay, MGS3 is possibly the best (and I had no problems with the camera angles whatsoever), but in regards to originality and just sheer fun with a good story, go for MGS....Hmm...I don't know...if MGS3 was the first you've ever played you might have some issues with MGS....anyways I still highly recommend it.

Also, Vagrant Story on the PS is another classic...simply put, one of the best console games I've ever played.

12. RC Cola

Nope. Like I said, MGS3 was the first of ANY MGS that I played. Although I should have noted that I was thinking about getting MGS1 together with MGS2; I guess I just didn't think about mentioning it since it was a PS1 game. But don't worry, I'm definitely going to try and play it in the near future.

Vagrant Story was a weird situation for me. For some reason, I just couldn't ever get into it. I heard great things about it and there were a bunch of things I liked about it when I played it. But for some reason (maybe because of the PS2 games?), I just wasn't that interested in the game. I really wanted to like it, but it just wasn't happening. I don't know. Maybe I'll try to give it another shot some time.

13. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

sorry about somewhat derailing this thread but, i walked into gamestop the other day to buy a used copy of Puzzle Fighter, a PS 1 game. that mofo was $30. that's THREE, OH, for a USED PS 1 game!!! WTF??? :mad: :confused:

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I picked up Onimusha 3 for $11 and Hitman Contracts for $10 a while back ~ both are cool games IMHO.

15. Svpernaut

I buy and resell copies of X-Com UFO Defense for the PS1... I can stumble across them for 25 bucks a pop and then resell them on eBay for over 60. There are quite a few rare games out there that have cult followings.

16. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

You think that's bad, try finding a copy of CONTRA for the NES for under $25.00 :mad:

17. Svpernaut

Just get it in emulator form for free and play it on your computer or PSP.

18. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I haven't played MGS3 yet, waiting for it to go GH before I think about buying it, but I agree with Mr. Boo in that MGS is a superior experience to MGS2. And it's not just nostalgia, as I played MGS right before I popped in MGS2.

The only thing MGS2 has on 1 is graphics. But gameplay, story, level design, characters - MGS is tops. It's a much cooler version of escape from NY.

As far as cheap games, that's the only thing I pick up really. RC already mentioned some of my favs, Kingdom Hearts, and Dark Cloud 2. I have Shadow Hearts 2 and haven't played it yet, but know I'll like it because I enjoyed the 1st one.

Some other really good cheapy games:

Devil May Cry

Just simply one of the best action games around, and I don't even really like action games all that much. It's short, but there is replay value and it can be had for less than 9 bucks used.

Tales of Symphonia(GC)

Haven't played the tales games before, but this is a quality rpg. Doesn't start out strong, but it's fun. It was around 20 bucks when I got it.

Star Ocean 3

Another action-ish rpg. I honestly haven't played too much of it yet, but it's quality and can be had as a gh.

Viewtiful Joe

Another real fun action game. Short, but it's at a price now where that's not much of an issue.

eh, that's all I can think of right now ...

19. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I was just about to mention this one myself as I just bought it and for 8$ it's acutally cheaper than buying Topsin used ($12). I bought it for Topsin alone (NCAA was an added bonus) and it just rocks. Best tennis game ever and must have for any Xbox owner.

-Ikaruga (GC)
    I'm guessing it still goes for around $20 and is probably hard to find but its well worth it if you get it. An old-school top-down shooter w/ very challenging gameplay, nice visuals and some interesting gameplay mechanics.

-Rallisport Challenge 2 (Xbox) ($13 EB)
    I was looking for a great racing game that was more arcade than sim, so decided on this one, and I haven't been dissapointed. It's very much like a rally sim, but has a little more arcade style to it than Colin Mcrae, and thus was exactly what I wanted. Great graphics and sound, very in depth and a nice adrenaline rush for any racing fan.

-Metroid Prime 2 (GC) ($16 EB)
    A great installment in a terrific franshise. It takes a little getting used to the light and dark worlds concept, but otherwise is just as addicting as its predecessors. I found it for 16 bucks new on EB's website at a time when it was and still is $50. Don't ask me how I managed that. My friend hooked me up w/ the link, though I may still have it. So do some searching around their site and you may get lucky.

20. Christopher

Christopher Member

Some older games I would reccomend

Ninja Gaiden
    Ive had this game for a long time and I still havent finished it. Its an old school game in that its VERY difficult.

Chronicals Of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay
    This is one of my favorite games of all time.

GTA Double Pack
    GTA III stands up VERY well. I didnt like Vice City as much but Im still playing through that one.

GTA San Andreas
    Its probably my favorite game of all time.