1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[GRANTLAND] When to activate the Death Star?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Nick, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

#1 Nick, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I've been thinking this during this whole winning streak. We are faring very well right now, but it's like we're doing it with pistols while we still have a whole armory to work with that we have barely touched.

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Comparing Brade Aiken to Luke Skywalker is funny. I like this article.

4. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Footnote 1 was interesting. Somewhat of an indictment on our front office's draft picks.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Luhnow is going to start monologue-ing at any moment.

6. conquistador#11

i haven't even read it yet but the mention of estar guars makes me give the article five stars and 2 galaxies!

about to read now.

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

Pretty lousy article by a mis-informed outsider.

"So much riding on" McCullers, Moran, and even Appel? Uh, ok.

He isn't convinced that Keuchel is all that good, specifically because of his k/9 from last year? Uh, ok.

Lazy journalism. But I guess the Star Wars comparisons are cute?

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not sure they say that much is riding on those guys... but those guys' big league success (probably not McCullers as much) could be a big reason why this team is a true contender for years to come.

And Kuechel isn't THIS good... is he? This is all-time HOF great stuff here that while it is amazing to see now, it would be a stretch to assume this is who he should be for the rest of his career.

But again, nothing to be taken to seriously... and its still a decent enough synopsis about where this team "could" go, and not bad for an outsider (much better than what has been surmised by the "insiders").

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm guessing that had more to do with last year's debacle more than anything else.

And the current team isn't really benefitting all that much from any of the high picks, years of sucking, etc.... which actually makes it a very optimistic outlook (hence, the "death star" being activated).

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Grantland is ****

11. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Holy sweeping generalization, Batman!

12. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

This year's attendance numbers are crucial to the future spending of the franchise. If the team keeps winning but the attendance doesn't get much better then we may be looking at a small budget, regardless of the TV money.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Astros fans will easily get behind a winning team with marketable/recognizable faces.

14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Expecting the fans to come out in droves this year after what they were put through for the past few seems unrealistic.

I don't think it can be understated how much of a middle finger MLB, and the team, gave the fans the past few seasons. The old heads were turned off by the forced switch to the AL, Jim Crane made it impossible for fans to even see the team on television for 2 years - and now that they're winning, road games can still end around 1 a.m. on a weeknight - and the team has been deliberately bad for years. Their team-building strategy will have been worth it if they start winning, but it has been a tough real-time sell.

15. Buck Turgidson

No doubt, they have a lot of goodwill to rebuild.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Crane's done plenty to get scorn, but Astros would be in same situation with any new smart owner as McLane made deal.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Win games. Rinse. Repeat.

That's all the goodwill I want at this moment and they have been doing it a lot lately.

18. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I love it. It's going to take the team a little while for it to re-enter the local consciousness, much less the national.

What I can't wait to start hearing about is how the Astros new brand of "high strike out/high home run" hitting is bad for baseball. The same way the Rockets get knocked for their lack of mid-range jumpers and commitment to 3 pointers.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad that the ASTROS ARE BACK BABY!

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Costanza?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/T9hSpijwWCY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:cool: