1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Grantland Podcast] 2014 Free Agency -- Jalen says Rockets improved

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by s3ts, Jul 15, 2014.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is planting a lot of 'em.

Love 'keep getting 'em cheques'.

2. Raven

Raven Member

Parsons who?

:)

3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Folks let's honestly think here for a minute. If Morey had just gone up to Parsons and asked him to stay for less would he have stayed. I honestly think he would have. He loved the Houston Rockets. He bled red. Parsons wanted a ring just as much as Howard, Harden, and everyone else. We probably could have even had enough money for both Ariza and Parsons. Gotten Lowry and a decent back up center and called it a day. DOc Rock re t warned us about greed and how it could lead to nothing at the end. It eventually did

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Much better yet their PER's were nearly identical while Ariza was MUCH better on defense.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

ㅡhe recruited himself to the mavs, disgraceful move in my opinion
    not a contender so he is a liar

6. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

Can't tell as Rox are not yet finished recruiting.

7. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Yes. He loved them so much that he:

- signed a contract the first moment he could knowing full well the organisations intentions and where he fell in there ("oh noes they view me as the 4th star and not the 3rd. boohoo")

- was having a circle jerk with Cuban and that idiotic friend who pops up in every photo now and slamming it all over social media. Real professional.

- I'm pretty sure you could've ended your post before it even began when you take into account Parsons 'being offended' at the Rockets. Yes. I'm sure he would've stayed for less :rolleyes:

8. Apollo-D12

Apollo-D12 Member

A watermelon thats been soaked in vodka. Notice the 2 big glasses of water just for him. Dude seems a lil tipsy. Party on Jalen.

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

This sums up the ball-iq problem of many NBA fans. Being a better player doesn't mean you're better for your team, it's about fitting with the guys you're on the floor with and playing in a role that maximizes the potential of the team.

Look at our starting unit, you have two great scorers in Harden and Dwight, so scoring is not what you need to worry about. All you need is someone that spaces the floor and knocks open shots down on offense.

The most important thing is Harden being a huge defensive liability, this is where fit comes into play. We already got perimeter and ISO scoring in the books with Harden, now you need to pair him with someone that makes up for Harden's defensive mistakes and is able to defend the other team's SG or SF most of the time.

Last season should've shown you that Parsons is not the answer for this problem, his better scoring and allround-game doesn't help you one bit if he doesn't improve our defense and cover for Harden. Ariza solves that problem and makes us a better team on both ends in the end.

10. rjr

rjr Member

Come on bro Parsons is only better at dribbling the ball...out side shooting team upgraded in...defense team upgraded in...Parsons is a better passer, and maybe more marketable,but other than that, and cap wise the team is better of.Parsons,Lin,and Harden playing offense, and no defense is not getting you a chip,and at $15 mill I want Harden instead of Parsons any day especially with Ariza on the team.....

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

1. No, Parsons would not have stayed for less. This was evident in his choice of agent and how he did not cooperate at all with the Rockets in terms of the timeline of the signing. Every component of the contract was designed to make sure the Rockets would NOT match.

2. Don't you think Morey is sly enough to have thought about this already? I'm willing to bet that he actually DID contact Parsons' agent and say, "Hey, before you sign on the dotted line there, just FYI you do know that this is something we most likely wouldn't match, right? If you want to stay a Rocket, then work with us." And then he would proceed to argue with Fegan over terms of a contract that we WOULD match. It's all part of the negotiation process, nothing surprising or surreptitious about it. With this understanding in hand, Fegan still opted for the hardball approach.

I'm pretty sure the writing was on the wall regarding Parsons' willingness to stay in Houston.

12. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

While I agree that Parsons is the better player. I Also understand Jalens point.
    We want a 3&D player at SF, since Harden is not the best defender in the world. Ariza fits that criteria better than Parsons.

I thought Parsons would become more of a defensive minded player if we got Bosh, but from all the interviews I have read he wants a bigger offensive role. So I am happy that Ariza will be our other great defensive player.

13. battousai

battousai Member

a lot of you have mentioned Parson as a great offense player, but judging from the playoffs, i think not. What better chance to show you want a bigger role in offense when your number 1 scorer isnt scoring anything in the playoffs? Where were you, when Rox needed you the most? I dont see Parson steppin into the role of Harden when he was not scoring. Basically he was helping making entry pass to howard and then jack up misses.

Parson is a nice player, but he isnt ready for the role as a star yet.

14. smr6

smr6 Member

as long as Terrence Jones spent the offseason practicing the basic concept of "boxing out", we should be better than last year.

15. SS0101

SS0101 Member

Ok so I get jalen kind of gets a pass on this board bc he said durant to houston in the past and now he said we got better. BUT...rondo to the Knicks for...expirings??? Why would Boston do that when rondo's contract itself is expiring? Boston wants nba talent in return...good nba talent. Ultimately I think they settle for a couple really good picks tho.

16. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Been saying for a long time that there was no way I wanted us to match Parsons with Ariza in the fold. I think Parsons was a good player, but personally I could live without him and Lin. And really Asik didn't do much for me either, but I did like the way he played defense and rebounded at times.

I'm fine with the team moving forward and I completely agree that Ariza will be a better fit here and I also agree with Morey that this team will be better come play-off time than we were last season...ESPECIALLY if we make another good addition via trade...

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That's what I came to say!

I don't hate the Ariza signing. I'm hoping for better defense. I can understand the argument also that Lin and Asik didn't fit all that well and couldn't optimize their talent. But, we're still not better off. It's a step back until Morey uses that cap flexibility to get somebody good.

18. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

All of Jalen Rose's predictions are wrong, and he'll probably be wrong about the Trevo Ariza signing also.:mad:

19. Remii

Remii Member

This...
    Usually people are talking about how stupid Jalen is. I guess he's a genius now.

But, we should be fine. Still have Harden and Howard and both can get better. McHale is the question mark.

20. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

+1. rockets are doing ok, just the bench is still bad like last year, so that ahs not changed.