1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Grantland] How the West Was Won

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 757dstreet, May 28, 2015.

1. 757dstreet

757dstreet Member

Shea Serrano is from Houston. He illustrated "Bun B's Rap Coloring Book."

He's also a contributor for Grantland. His latest article, posted hours after our exit from the WCF, is titled 'NBA Shootaround: How the West Was Won'.

A couple of excerpts from the article:

"Let me be clear when I say this: I don’t care very much for the Rockets."

"Still: I’m sad the Rockets lost. I wasn’t rooting for them as much as I was rooting for history, but still."

"James Harden and Dwight Howard are very unlikable, but not so unlikable that watching them do something that’s never been done in the history of the universe of the NBA would be uninteresting or unfun. Goodbye, Rockets."

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/nba-shootaround-how-the-west-was-won/

Man, I'm not even from Houston originally. I moved here from Virginia back in 2004. Ever since then, I've become a hometown fan of the Rockets, Texans, and Astros. I haven't been to a Dynamo game yet, but I'll definitely cheer them on. My thing is, if you're gonna represent a city, then represent the city. I get why some Houstonians became Titans fans after they moved the Oilers, or how some even became Cowboys fans because there was no Houston team.

But man, I'm just really upset about this dude. Just wanted to shed some light on this.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

So, why should he be discredited again? I didn't read the article, but nothing you posted is particularly objectionable so far as facts go.

Him saying that James Harden and Dwight Howard are unlikeable is a personal opinion, which also happens to be shared by a vast segment of NBA fans whether we like it or not.

3. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

He's a Texans fan and a Spurs fans. There are unfortunately a lot of those in Texas

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

"James Harden and Dwight Howard are very unlikable"

I just think it's lazy journalism when a writer simply parrots the current national take on something. Seriously, the guy's trying to climb the reporter ladder, hopefully leading to some TV spots and a big bump in his career, and THIS is the best he can do?

5. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Pretty sure Shea is from San Antone. He's a cool dude. Obviously disagree with him strongly about the Rockets, though.

Texans, too, but who cares. :cool:

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

How the west was won:

A pure shooter with an amazing stroke was freed by a flurry of illegal screens and a series of delightful flops. To the backdrop of a narrative that somehow Steph Curry, a member of the NBA's number one team and league MVP, was the patron saint of the underdog. The evil James Harden was fought off with questionable contact and fouls that were never called. In the end, we have the King vs. the baby faced assassin.

7. dback816

dback816 Member

So you only like contrarians?

8. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Can't be hired by Grantland if you don't hate the Rockets