1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Grant Hill to miss rest of the season

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JBIIRockets, Dec 18, 2001.

1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

well that sucks. I used to enjoy watching him play.

3. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

The sad part is he probably permanantly damaged his ankle during the Pistons Playoffs when he continued to play on a broken ankle. So much for putting the pain aside for the love of the game

4. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

Krause is a genious for not signing him. ;)

5. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

You have to feel sorry for the guy. He was one of the best all around players in the league, and a great team guy from what I have read and heard.

Time to trade for McGrady in your fantasy leagues, boys and girls.

6. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

I don't think we'll ever see the same Grant Hill again...in fact he may retire before too long.

What would you do if you were Tim Duncan?

Does TD+Tmac = Kobe + Shaq?

7. F.D. Khan

GettinBranded....

Yeah....a real GENIOUS

Genius!!
    And Yeah right.....Krause would've licked his feet to go to Chicago. And I don't think Eddie's feet are doing too well
    either.

You guys did get lucky...if the Bulls had signed G Hill, coupled with other events.......you guys would be in the pits financially as well

8. F.D. Khan

I think McGrady is Better than Kobe, and will get even better in the future.

Shaq is a stronger Post presence and I think ranks above Duncan.

But Hill, McGrady and Duncan vs. Kobe and Shaq would have been awesome!

9. Old School

Old School Member

The guy had so much promise and was a potential hall of famer. Now he's amounted to nothing more than being another Danny Manning. Two college studs ruined by injuries. I doubt he'll even get his number retired anywhere other than Duke.

OS

#9 Old School, Dec 18, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2001
  10. mfclark

mfclark Member

To put Grant Hill, one of the league's top 5 or 10 players when healthy, down with Danny Manning is an insult to Hill himself.

Manning never did anything to prove himself in the NBA. Hill won rookie of the year, has been voted an all-star every year of his career (and is set to start in the All-Star game this year even now), and is one of basketball's great guys.

There's no saying that he won't come back healthy after this surgery - apparently they are only going this far to prevent anything like this from every happening again; if they wanted a quick fix, they would've just removed the bone spurs.

Hill, McGrady, and Duncan in a year and a half could still beat Kobe and Shaq...even if the Magic don't get Duncan, Hill's injury opens the possibility for a disabled player exception and a shot at Marc Jackson, who turned down their offer of the fill mid cap exception thinking he could get better elsewhere. He is from Tampa, after all, and Golden State would rather have an exception than a boatload of players.

11. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

Shut up and die.

It was a joke...I guess you have a text browser and can't see the smiley... :rolleyes:

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I have him in both my leagues :D .

13. Old School

Old School Member

With all of his injuries who knows how good Manning could have been? Maybe not in the Hill category but I still put their careers in similar circumstaces.

OS

14. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Danny Manning was a regular 20 point, 10 rebound player before his terrible injury. To compare someone to Manning is not an insult, he did lead the Clippers to the playoffs before his injury.

15. mfclark

mfclark Member

But to compare a 6 (and soon to be 7) time AllStar to a player like Danny Manning is still highly underrating such a player.

And yet, there is still a good chance he (Hill) will return to full health next season. It may take some major rehabilitation, but he'll be there. Just look at how well Penny Hardaway is doing.

16. haven

haven Member

Danny Manning was absolutely sensational until he was hobbled by injuries. I think he and Grant Hill *were* comparable players.

Without that injury, he might have been a hall-of-famer.

17. mfclark

mfclark Member

Manning was a product of his system. His only good year - injuries or not - came under the same coach with no comparable options as he had in college.

Hill not only was the better college player, but better pro player - even considering Manning's injury.

Even with injuries, you adapt your game to your limitations. Good players can overcome them and return to a high level of play - see Penny, Mourning, Mark Price, etc. Others cannot, especially big men. Even had he never been injured, I highly doubt Manning and Hill would even be discussed in the same sentence.

18. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

I feel bad for Grant. His career is in jeopardy. I doubt that he can come back from another ankle injury. One of the main reasons I feel bad for him is because he could've been one of the greatest NBA players ever, he's a really good guy, and would've been a great ambassador of the sport.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

The good news is that he will be starting the All Star Game.

20. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Damn. I dropped Mike Miller from my fantasy team cause he wasn't getting any PT............