1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gotta give major props to Cuban

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Langhi, Jun 12, 2011.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

True, but they gave most of that money to Dampier, and I have a hard time believing that they would have done worse with Nash instead of Dampier. I think the idea was the same as now with Chandler, but Chandler is a much better player and teammate than Dampier.

1 person likes this.
  2. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA.

YOU JUST CAN'T LET HIS STEVE NASH "ARGUMENT" GO.

So dude, are you brave enough to answer this?

So, if, you won a championship, and in doing so you traded away John Stockton for Hasheem Thabeet, you would pass that up?

Oh and yea lets make this awesome rule that whatever happend 30 years ago is always more relevant than what is happening right now. Yeah, Cuban winning a ring is really not important. What is really important is the San Francisco winning a ring in the 70's. Woohoo ! yea! :eek::rolleyes::eek:

1 person likes this.
  3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm not the one suggesting that either cuban or alexander shouldn't get credit. That's you.

You can talk about Steve Nash all you want. Last night the Dallas Mavericks won the NBA title. We're talking about giving credit to Cuban for that.

You go on and on about how obvious this or that about ming or that I am unresponsive yet you wont address one of the biggest F-ups in NBA history in not paying nash??[/Quote]

You can talk about Steve Nash all you want. Last night the Dallas Mavericks won the NBA title. We're talking about giving credit to Cuban for that. Steve Nash doesn't have anything to do with that discussion at this point.

4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

5. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Hes an idiot. If you traded away John Stockton and Karl Malone for absolutely nothing but that resulted in you winning a championship. You don't think everyone would do that deal every day of the week and twice on Mondays?

He is just a little loser kid thats getting bombarded and flamed from everywhere. His only defense? STEVE NASH STEVE NASH STEVE NASH..waaaaah!!! mommy he traded steve nash away!!!!!! so therefore he can win 10 championships with jason kidd but he traded steve nash away!!!! waaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Cuban trading Steve Nash away but still managed to win a championship only goes to show how much he succeeds as an owner.

7. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Its cool. Not everyone is expected to be celebrating anything. I just admire him as an owner and think he is a good example of what an owner should operate like in terms of commitment to their team.

He won a ring today, let's give him some credit. His achievements are something every owner could learn from.

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

True, but I still say they would have been better off keeping Nash. He had two MVP seasons. Cuban didn't want Nash for long term because he thought he was slowing down. I believe they would have already won one and a chance to win more with a Nash/Dirk combo in their prime.

9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

it really is a pair that could have won at least 2, maybe 3, both players give the lakers fits, and when you lose in the finals and the player you traded away for not much in return wins the mvp award that year then....not to mention there would have never been the golden state debacle.

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

He had two superstars in Nash and Dirk. Problem is, those teams didn't have the coaching or defense to go all the way.

Back then, Cuban didn't know what he was doing. I believe he either learned from his mistakes or got some great advice from within (Carlisle?) on how to build a team around Dirk. This championship is a result of both Cuban and Dirk coming into their own.

11. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

credit goes to dirk. Period. Without dirk the conversation is over. You should start a dirk appreciation thread because thats the reality.

and without a number 9 pick that don nelson pushed for the conversation is over.

With a steve nash we are probably a few titles in by now. all I am seeing is a lucky number 9 and a 2 time MVP too cheap to spend. that #9 turned out to be a damn fortunate find. Just ask Milwaukee (RIP Tractor Traylor literally)

SO CAN WE PLEASE STOP FELLATING CUBAN AND APPRECIATE THAT IT WAS A NICE #9 PICK !! or we can just keep telling ourselves that

kidd and rodman (past his prime) > drexler, barkley , pippen (past his prime)

and if you want to talk recent moves getting martin, artest , nice pick in patterson shows that we are so much worse and alexander is so much worse right? I mean clearly tyson chandler is a million times better than the most efficient sg in the league in martin that we picked up for NO benchwarmer. Say what you want about landry we again went for it and got freaking kevin martin !! but lets focus on the task at hand fellating cuban. Cuban is god.

This is like the Faux news propaganda of the bbs thread, trying to get me to go GOP. for dallas in a houston board no less..

UNREAL

13. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

That's definitely a possibility. It is indeed interesting to think about what could have been the achievements of that team if they kept Nash.

With that said, though, if you told Cuban 10 years ago that he was going to have a decade of winning basketball culminating with one ring, he'd definitely take that with both hands.

Winning a ring is the ultimate climax/vindication/justification for the greatness of an era (I want to highlight the word era here). Its the ultimate goal and if that era just manages to win one ring, that era can then forever be labelled as successful. After all, that is what team's strive for year after year.

So in my opinion, its not about how many rings you win. Its about winning A ring. One ring vindicates all. More is just gravy.

Its funny because the other day I was just thinking about what if the entire Dirk era resulted in no rings. Then Dallas would have had an entire decade of false hopes and anti-climaxes and massive disappoints and well, loads and loads of "teases". This one ring meant that the 07 first round loss, the nash bonanza, the harris/kidd trade can all now be declared as "not guilty", lol.

14. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Please read my reply to Angkor Wat just above. What I was going to say here is all described in that post.

15. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Here's what is dangerous about Cuban: He's finally learned to STFU and GTFOTW. Cuban appears to have finally learned from his mistakes and this is the worst thing that could have happened. For years, I could count on Cuban's stupidity to hold the Mavericks back. For many years after purchasing the Mavericks, it was Cuban who made the dumb decisions that came back to haunt the Mavs: Resigning Shawn Bradley for $36M. Paying Rafe LaFrenz $70M. Letting Steve Nash walk for nothing. Paying Eric Dampier $70M. Falling in love with Don Nelson's EuroBall concept that emphasized offense and not defense. Firing Avery Johnson because he called out the organization and players' lack of focus on defensive basketball. Well no more. This year he actually shut his big mouth, stepped back and let Donnie Nelson and the coaching staff finally run things and the results speak for themselves. Donnie has done a far better job than DM over the past 4 years and he's had to operate with little to no cap room along with a meddling owner. Today, the difference (and gap) between the Mavericks and Rockets could not be more striking.

16. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Ok, cool bro. Your right. You're entirely right. I now declare you are absolutely right about mark cuban and i should have realised sooner. your view of mark cuban is definitely a right one. Mark Cuban is a totally worthless owner. he trades away steve nash for nothing. he trades allstar devin harris and two first round picks and cash and antoine wright for old grandpa wheat farmer jason kidd. he mocks david stern and gets his wallet raped by david stern in return. he totally sucks. he is the worst owner in the entire history of nba basketball. cuban is the worth human being in america. cuban is totally dumb and he should not have done the dampier for chandler deal. dampier would have had them sweep the heat this year. he should also have not resigned haywood. cuban goes after stupid players such as barea while letting awesome 2 time mvp hall of famers leave for nothing. he also is not a good owner. he just randomly got dirk and then dirk did the rest while cuban stayed home to read batman comics. MARK CUBAN IS THE WORST OWNER IN THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF NBA BASKETBALL.

cool.

[​IMG]

17. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

When you have 2 players who then go first team the following 3 years in complimentary positions (plus all 3 mvps), you've made a blunder, a very very very big blunder.

When you blow a dynasty to be what will in all likelihood be a one and done, then it's more a consolation than a vindication.

18. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Absolutely AGREE 100%. That was gross stupidity on Cuban's part.

Wasn't luck at all - it was all due to Donnie Nelson's hard work. He scouted Europe extensively and that's how he came upon Dirk. Dirk was his pick and they were booed heavily when that pick was made because folks up here felt they'd taken another Detlef Schrempf. This is the same thing SA did when they scouted and drafted Tony Parker. I can understand why you would attribute good scouting and drafting to "luck" because we've seen precious little of both coming from the Rockets over the past 11 years.

Oh Cuban is great owner but only because he's willing do whatever it takes to win. And he is a 1st class jerkoff as a person. But don't recite the official Rocket organization excuse for their shortcomings in an attempt to blast Cuban or the Mavericks because the Mavericks only did what good, smart and competent organizations do in assembling a championship caliber team. We've seen San Antonio do the same thing in the past decade.

1 person likes this.
  19. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Consolation?

Hardly.

In this climate, every owner would take one ring and run away with it.

One ring is all it takes for a team to be written down in the history books.

To put it bluntly. Its like that hot girl in your class that you want to go to bed with. Once you manage to have sex once with her, you've successfully tamed your prey. Doing it again will always have less meaning than the first time.

Can't be greedy. Its about reaching your goals. I'm sure we're just happy that Hakeem got 2 rings while he was playing and not go and worry about what if we picked Drexler instead of that guy who picked ahead of him Rodney McCray.

20. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

If Cuban didnt let Nash go and won 5 championships, you haters here would just go:"hey Cuban is a fully-blown r****d, he could have kept Antawn Jamison and won 7 championships!!!!!" And if Cuban kept Jamison and won 7 championships, you haters would just go:"oh he is a terrible and really dumb owner!!! If he just traded Josh Howard for Vince Carter they could have won 10 championships!!! bad owna!!!"