1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GOP Tells Immigrants and Latinos to Kiss Off

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Jan 14, 2015.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

WASHINGTON (AP) — Shunning a White House veto threat and opposition within their own party, House Republicans approved legislation Wednesday to overturn President Barack Obama's key immigration policies and expose hundreds of thousands of younger immigrants to expulsion from the U.S.

http://news.yahoo.com/house-takes-broad-aim-obama-immigration-081814535--politics.html

This act is another clear signal that a large part of the GOP is against Latinos . The GOP voter suppression and gerrymandering tactics won't be able to protect them much longer.

Looking forward to the next Democratic Presidential victory in 2016.:)

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

And the cowards tie it to a bill to fund Homeland Security.

3. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

Martin Luther King Jr. enlists to fight against Obamas immigration initiative.

recent polls showing that African-Americans and other minorities worry that illegals are taking jobs, housing and healthcare they should get.

The announcer asks how Dr. King “would feel about 19 percent of African-Americans unemployed or underemployed? About giving amnesty and work permits to four million illegal aliens with so many Americans jobless? About admitting one million more immigrant workers in 2015 when 13 percent of Hispanic Americans are having trouble finding work? About Americans of all races not seeing a real wage increase in decades?”

It also notes that the unemployment rate among African-Americans is 19.2 percent, and 13.6 percent for Hispanics

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/m...gal-immigration-obama-amnesty/article/2558628

I wouldn't be so smug in your yet to be won victory.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Recent message board post showing whites think blacks and hispanics can only do each others' jobs.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Stupid title. We could also go with Demos prioritize foreign nationals over American security.

6. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

Latinos are not single issue voters -- don't assume that they are stupid.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

If you are affected by the legislation or your immediate family is affected then it could very well make them single issue voters.
    I'm not sure the GOP has really done anything to alter perception. Maybe there is a small perception shift from the, on the fence, Latino GOP moderates, but most conservative Hispanic friends I've talked to won't be swayed by this and I'll assume the same for the large scale.

8. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

It is you and the GOP who assume they are stupid. You think they will keep voting against their own interests, especially economic.

At any rate enjoy our new Democratic president in 2016.

9. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Why is it so wrong to oppose ILLEGAL immigration? I support speeding up the process for legal immigration and otherwise making it easier to become a citizen. At the same time, I support much tighter border control. As far as amnesty goes, I don't know. Mass deportations are obviously not a solution, but it also isn't fair to grant amnesty to everyone who came here illegally.

10. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

Martin Luther King Jr is White?

11. Remii

Remii Member

Lol... That's funny.

I thought a big chunk of Latinos where republican... But over 80% of them or against deportation so I guess something like this could swing the pendulum (if it needed swinging).

And is it Latinos or Hispanics... What's the difference?

12. Anticope

Anticope Member

How is this the GOP telling "immigrants and Latinos to kiss off"? I agree that the legislation is a waste of time because they know full well that it is going to get vetoed, but this has been their stance on this executive order from the beginning, so nothing has really changed here. What this really is is the beginning of American politics for the next 2 years. The Republicans are going to pass lots of legislation that they know Obama will veto in order to portray the Democrats as the party that interferes with the will of the American people in order to set up their run in 2016.

13. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

The term "Latino" is derived from the obsolete term "Latin America" (i.e., South America). However, it came to include peoples from Mexico and Central America. Hispanic, on the other hand, includes all Spanish-speaking or Spanish heritage peoples, i.e., those who immigrated from the Iberian Peninsula (basically Spain and Portugal). In some Hispanic circles, the term "Latino" is a slur whereas "Hispanic" is always safe.

BTW, I personally have never felt that the Republican Party in any way has told me or any of my family to "kiss off."

#13 thumbs, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  14. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

It is wrong to think that Democratic economic policies are pro-Latino. Higher taxes, more regulation, higher energy costs, union support... all very negative financial and economic issues.

There are many family-based and value-based Latino voters that want nothing to do with the dirty Clintons. Jeb Bush is fluent in Spanish and his wife is from Guanajuato (also the home state of Vicente Fox). This is a big advantage in courting Latino votes. His wife has a great personal story to tell.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Completely agree except I'll take it a step further and say they definitely are NOT stupid.

They also voted 75-23 for Obama in 2012 and Republicans aren't improving their chances.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The problem with Bush is unless Republicans duplicate 2012 by running a bunch of freak show candidates as the only alternatives, Bush barely has a snowball's chance to win the nomination. Dream on. His wife's personal story will be forgotten by July 2016.

17. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

dirty Clintons

18. rudan

rudan Member

Forget all this trivial crap and impeach the clown already..........

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

What glorious crime did Obama commit for you? Other than being a Democrat? Lol.

20. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's dead.