1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GOP Senator is officially pro-slavery

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 26, 2020.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Mr Cotton: slavery is a necessary evil
    You: I feel like Senator Cotton is trying to put a rosy view of America's history

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

Go on........

I feel like this is Senator Cotton's goal except at the federal level, which ties into this conservative notion that everyone hates white men when we just want to point out "this is what happned":

Texas Conservatives Win Curriculum Change

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not waving **** away and thinking that it wouldn't alter the development of the US. I'm affirmatively stating that the development of the US would have been absolutely altered if slavery, as an institution, had never been established in North America. And this different development trajectory for the US would have been more beneficial for the vast majority of people of all races, but in particular for everyone who was/is non-white.

Your statement about thinking of things from an academic perspective without needing to burn crosses or "cancel it" makes zero sense in this context.

4. dmoneybangbang

You made an absolute statement..... either you think "this" or you're profoundly broken.....

Chance the US would never have overcome its European rivals without the exploitation of various people and it would have been carved up as a result.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you have difficulty envisioning how the US could have developed into a profoundly better country without slavery then you are really, really broken.

6. dmoneybangbang

My mistake then. As long as its okay if I think the chance the US would have become a superpower would have been diminished without our unfortunate history while still envisioning how it could.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Am I the only one that thinks he was right with his statement ? (Not necessarily funding decision or talking about 1619 ... that’s just playing politics.

from everything I’ve learned and read , it did appear that not banning slavery (which is essentially calling it a necessary evil) WAS key in getting the southern states to join the revolution.

it appears that’s the context he’s talking about . It’s an important point . What do people think the northern colonies and southern colonies did to address the issue of slavery in the New country ? Flip a coin ?

furthermore , slavery was tolerated for almost another 100 years to keep the union together , until enough people could no longer tolerate it and instead carried out the “lesser“ evil of war.

our country did not pop onto the map as a superpower . Fighting the revolutionary war without the men of Virginia and the Carolinas May have resulted in an US loss . Furthermore it’s not like the northern states could have just thrown their southern states to the side after the revolutionary war ... the British could have come right back and recaptured the country .... European powers were still empires back then and even entertained intervening in the civil war .

I just think this guy made a statement , that most historians would probably agree with . Cottons viewpoint isn’t the whole story , but the 1619 project is also incomplete.

people can have whatever reaction they want to him fighting it out with the “libs” , but in terms of what he said ... I don’t see the outrage ?

and yes , it’s hillarious his name is cotton

9. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I know you are well intentioned, but this is not a good argument. Basically you're saying "We're #1! We had to get here somehow." It's like a plantation owner saying, "Well, we're the richest in the state. We wouldn't have got here without the plantation."

Being "a superpower" (whatever that means) does not justify people getting whipped and murdered, systematic family separation, for the period between the Revolution and the Civil War. (And the Civil War did not turn us into a superpower.)

jiggyfly and DVauthrin like this.
  10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yeah what happened to the American values/virtues of 'personal sacrifice and hardwork" and "fairly paying someone for a day's work"

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

Frankly, that's just American mythos, just like "all men are created equal".

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Not really.... considering we are viewing this from the lenses of the 21st century.

We really don't know how America would look today without slavery, without the genocide of the native population, and exploitation of the Chinese and Irish to build the railroads (as an example).

The fact of the matter those things happened and it gave us an advantage from a geopolitical perspective.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. WNBA

WNBA Member

America would look way better without slavery.

Slavery ==> racism ==> KKK, Trump, GOP, warmongers .... never ending unnecessary evil.

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What they were forced to make?

What does that have to do with anything, those same things could have been made without slavery and the treatment of Chinese and Irish.

What does "cancel" have to do with anything, the 1619 project is not trying to cancel anything.

The 1619 project is from a academic perspective.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

There is also a chance the U.S. could have been the same or better without exploitation.

What is your point?

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  16. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Who actually think Slavery made a country great?

I don’t have to be a historian or lived during those times to understand the following concept

“cheap labor, slave labor is only meant for 2 things
    more wealth, more power “

no one was thinking....”yeah let’s get some slaves so we can build a great country”

that’s why black slaves were auctioned off and people bought them based on skill/strength/usage. No different than buying a cattle or a horse based on physical traits to fulfill a need.

necessary evil my ass. Let’s call it what it was, necessary way to make the most profits.

Slavery didn’t make this country great, it filled the pockets of the rich.

I don’t condemn the people who did it back then. However I won’t blindly say it was necessary for some greater cause....

jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

But it wasn't..... it was made very inexpensively and very competitively with slavery and near slavery. The British Empire didn't come about through fair wages....

Same thing as "burning crosses", like I mentioned. I think you are misunderstanding my point.

#98 dmoneybangbang, Jul 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

Like @snowconeman22 said, what would have happened if we banned slavery at the conclusion of the American revolution? We may have ended up with two different countries as the result of the American revolution. Might not have had a Civil War but a war between two countries.

it's not about liking slavery, it's about logically following what might happen.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

You and I speak from a position of privilege. How? It's not philosophical:

The slaves who are dead, the native Americans who are dead, the Chinese and Irish who are dead--they do not get to talk about "we're a superpower now," and actually, to them, "the superpower" took their entire lives away.

You like the superpower. But you're one person, and there's another person who was a slave or native American who is underground and not posting here today.

(And personally I am not impressed by being a superpower.)

jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.