1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

GOP Senator is officially pro-slavery

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 26, 2020.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Preach it.
    PREACH!

DVauthrin and RayRay10 like this.
  2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You read past the headline?!?!

The Trumpers, alas, did not. Or, if they did, the words were Othmar-ian babble to them. "What did you say about slavery, Miss Othmar?" "Wah wah wah, wah wah." "Uh, are you saying it was good or bad?" "WAH WAH WAH, WAH WAH."

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It is funny how:

1) Cotton got into this mess trying to argue that some liberals are too negative about the founders, then immediately threw the founders under the bus when pressed on his words on slavery.

2) some Cotton defenders here didn’t get the memo that the “necessary evil” statement is wrong when Cotton himself quite clearly did and didn’t even try to defend it (and instead tries to say he was just saying that the founders believed it).

Well, as Tracy McGrady says, it is what it is.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm honestly more perplexed about him thinking that statues and base names are how people learn history.

5. Carl Herrera

Btw, if it turns out not to be what it is, then remember that Tracy McGrady said it, not me.

fchowd0311 and RayRay10 like this.
  6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

...sad Ferret-American Tom Cotton retires to the Cottonland family plantation

CometsWin and RayRay10 like this.
  7. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Here’s another quote from Cotton, courtesy of the Arkansas Democrat Gazette:

“America is a great and noble country founded on the proposition that all mankind is created equal. We have always struggled to live up to that promise, but no country has ever done more to achieve it.”

Cotton clearly missed the part of American history where slaves were 3/5th’s of a person or viewed as less before that. Or Plessy vs. Ferguson, which issued the Separate but Equal Doctrine to justify segregation. Then, it took until 1954 for the Supreme Court’s to rule in Brown vs. Board of Education that segregated schools were unconstitutional. Finally, the Civil Rights Act wasn’t passed until 1964.

#67 DVauthrin, Jul 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    jiggyfly, CometsWin and RayRay10 like this.
  8. Carl Herrera

I am not saying the that United States are the worst ever or anything close to it-- every other country around the world has its faults, too. However, there sure are countries that abolished slavery earlier than the U.S. did. So, I am not sure that we have "done more to achieve it" than all the other countries.

I chose to come to this country almost 30 years ago, and am glad that I did. But loving a country does not require one to constantly say "We are No. 1!" in spite of reality.

9. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Well said, Carl. I don’t think the U.S. is the worst country in the world, either. As someone born and raised in Houston, I’m proud to be an American, but I’m disgusted by our country’s leadership right now. I was pointing out Cotton’s idiocy of saying America was founded on the principle that mankind was created equal, but throughout its history, the nation has not come close to meeting that standard and has done the exact opposite in many cases.

CometsWin and RayRay10 like this.
  10. CCorn

CCorn Member

Did you believe the Rockets were #1 when they had.... Tracy McGrady?

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

I feel like Senator Cotton is trying to put a rosy view of America's history.....not that he agrees with slavery. I haven't read enough about "1619", but my history in Texas tells me conservatives like a certain image of America.

Yes, slavery contributed to wealth and development of America....

Yes, removing the native populations allowed america to expand and prosper....

Yes, expanding coast to coast and even across the pacific set up a powerful, industrial country.....

And yes.... America is hypocritical and has a very checkered past on its way to the superpower we are aprt of today.

snowconeman22 and RayRay10 like this.
  12. Carl Herrera

Objectively, their record did not indicate so. Did I irrationally hope they'd be better? Yes, but at some point we gotta look at the analytics.

If he insist on promoting a rosy view of a history that includes slavery, and argue that slavery was necessary, then he agrees with slavery.

13. dmoneybangbang

I don't like Senator Cotton, but what does "agreeing with slavery" mean? Like he wants it back? Or he understands it happened, its part of our history, and he wants to minimize its history for political reasons?

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL slavery was necessary = rosy picture

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

then just don't talk about slavery

people act like america was doomed without slaves

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

Tell him, not me.

Who knows how the US would have developed without slavery, without genocide of the native population, and manifest destiny. It sucks its a Hobbesian world, but it is what it is.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

It's how we got from point A to point B.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Slavery is over, but what if we're still living on the plantation?
    Black people aren't slaves now: does that mean everything is OK?
    White people aren't slaves: does that make everything OK?
    "Slavery is over" doesn't mean "We are free!"

19. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you have difficulty envisioning how the US could have developed into a profoundly better country without slavery then you are really, really broken.

20. dmoneybangbang

Nah. That's a pretty loaded statement based off emotion. As barbaric as slavery is and the subsequent treatment of the chinese and irish (for example), you can't just wave away what they were forced to make and think that wouldn't alter the development of the US. It's okay to think of things from an academic perspective without needing to burn crosses or "cancel it".

RayRay10 likes this.