1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the second half of the Lakers-Nuggets Game 5 -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Google Home vs Amazon Echo vs third party with Google/Echo assistant

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Dec 21, 2017.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Interesting question. I know I can make voice-initiated outgoing calls but it appears you can't make calls to x11 numbers like 911.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202136310

Perhaps its due to the wifi-calling aspect. I know when I set up wifi-calling on my cell phone (a necessity since I live in the sticks and 4G signal in the house is really spotty) you have to enter a local address into settings for 911 calls. Guessing without the ability to use 4G to triangulate location it disables the 911 system. I wonder if Amazon (or other smart home device vendor) can address the local address challenge.

mtbrays likes this.
  2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Where is everyone with smart assistants today?

My Echos are starting to show their age. Some of them just give up trying to stream Pandora, and forget about streaming YouTube music. They’ve also become more aggressive with advertising **** I don’t need.

I use them for
    • Streaming music
    • Timers
    • Voice control of lights
    I’m using YouTube more and more and pay for premium. There’s also a way to import Pandora stations to YouTube so I can probably cut costs there.

So if I’m going to have to replace the old Echos, I may as well look at switching.

Thoughts?

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't use them for anything. It's a wonder how I survive! :eek:

I do use "Hey Google" every once in a while to set an alarm on my phone for auction bidding. Does that count? :D

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm not buying one until I figure out how to set up a filter with something like Raspberry Pi through my router, so probably never unless it's gifted.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

Amazon rules breh
    Alexa can tell me the weather and who won the rockets game and play Billie Jean on my Klipsch sound system

7. Roscoe Arbuckle

I got a Google mini a few years ago as a gift. I'm sure it does stuff, but I only use it to play music when I'm in the shower.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

So no real, educated comments?

****-ing Clutchfans.

[​IMG]

9. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

That's perfect use for it. In the shower, all wet and can't use your hands to reach a device or else water gets everywhere. Use it for time, forecast, podcasts, audiobooks, interactive games and quizzes while taking a dump :p.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I use google devices for the following:
    • Lights
    • TV
    • Robotic vacuum
    • Thermostat
    We primarily use it in the living room/kitchen area to get lights and TV on/off at night and use phones to stream what we want to watch/listen. We also use it when we will be out of the house to run vacuum and thermostat (only for all day). Only issues we have are typically device based (TV and lights do not handle power outages well and need to be relinked/rebooted sometimes).

I assume Alexa would work fine as well for how we use them.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

go test out the AI yourself

Ask Alexa, Google, what is 'Clutch City'

that should solve your problem

Xerobull likes this.
  12. Roscoe Arbuckle

Why would you touch it?

13. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

if you didn't have a google home, it would be hard to switch songs with your phone. Doesn't sound as good either.

14. Roscoe Arbuckle

I just yell at it. It isn't connected to anything but wifi. I don't, at the moment, feel like syncing all of my crap. Just play a song while I'm washing my ass.

15. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I use my Amazon echoes throughout the house mostly for music, timers etc., but I also have it set turn on the lights at sunset, shut everything down when I say good night, do you stuff like arm the alarm, turn on the kettle in the kitchen, and I have it all set to work with the Samuel L Jackson voice so it gets a little testy, mouthy, and vulgar from time to time.

Using voice text on my iPad for this post…. “Hey Samuel roast me, I’m just going to ignore that request because your sorry ass will be destroyed on impact try asking again when you can handle it.”

Xerobull likes this.
  16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Google home for thermostat, Alexa for music, lights, timers, audio books, games, etc.