1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good Riddance

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tod the bod, Jan 17, 2001.

1. tod the bod

tod the bod Contributing Member

Despite the fact that I have tremendous respect for Hakeem's abilities as a player, I have never liked him. I thought that he faked injuries. I thought that he was ungrateful towards the fans.

Hakeem won two championships in Houston and then he stopped caring. He has mailed in virtually every game since then. Moreover, he has been an albatros on the neck of the team, his salary preventing the team from being able to pick up the players that we need to compete.

The Rockets didn't trade Hakeem because the team believed that it owed Hakeem loyalty. The team set back the rebuilding process for two years because it wanted Hakeem to retire as a Rockets.

Well Hakeem has just thrown that loyalty right back into the team's face. Hakeem, you have proved to me that you are a jerk. Trade Hakeem, waive him, just get Hakeem the hell out of Houston.

Hakeem does not deserve the adoration that many of the posters on this site have for him. I feel sorry for all of you who really love Hakeem and who became Rockets fans because of Hakeem.

2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Mailed in every game ? Ever since the two championships, it is arguable that Hakeem has been the best overall center from 96-00. Check the numbers, he's prolly in the top 5 among every statistical category among centers.

------------------
    "We don't have any plans. We just plan to win." Mack Brown

3. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

gr8-1,

Actually, Dream is in the top 10 of all players in points,steals,rebounds,blocks(#1),minutes played,field goals made, & field goals attempted in the history of the game. If he plays another couple of years, gets some regular minutes, & stays healthy, he could very well be in the top 5 in every catagory. Not bad for a soccer player. [​IMG]

However, I do agree that it's time for the man to either retire or go to another team that is more suited to his skills. The Rockets have obviously gone in another direction. I'll definately miss the big guy.

------------------

4. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Yah! AND RUDY T SUCKS!

Good to see you around Tod.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

5. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Tod-
    I'll partly agree with you. I know I was a Barkley fan before I became a Rocket fan and Dream absolutely carried the Rockets to the first championship (yeah alot of other guys played hard and made big shots but Dream carried the team) and the next year he received help from Clyde but he wanted to win so badly then.
    Once Charles came here he always did his job, and maybe it was his personality that he never really stepped up to lead the team once Charles arrived. I think stepping down as the on the court leader may have affected him.
    He never seemed to play with the same intensity as during the Championship years, and maybe it was his will to get his champiopnship and get one for Clyde but something changed. Maybe it was also wear and tear on his body. Keep in mind there was a lot of good big men Dream batled during the run.
    But Dream was still one to the top 3-5 centers until last years injuries and breathing condition, just seemed like the intensity wasn't the same. He didn't mail in any games but I feel something has been missing.

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

If he possessed the dignity that people have often said Hakeem has, he would do the dignified thing.

The dignified thing is to finish out this year with the Rockets and then retire.

If Hakeem is not willing to retire after this season, the Rockets should waive him in the offseason. This crap has got to stop. It is a huge distraction.

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker