1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good DVD Authoring program

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Chuck04, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Chuck04

Chuck04 Member

I'm after a good DVD authoring program to make some DVDs out of MPGs/AVIs I have (mainly the Rockets games so generously provided by Rockets2K :D ).

I have used Nero Vision Express, but it is too basic. It gets the job done, but I don't really like the finished product too much. I want to be able to make pretty menu transitions, motion backgrounds and other cool stuff.

Tried Mediachance DVD Lab Pro, it worked a few times, now I am getting "Compile errors" when creating the DVD files. If I'm not getting the error messages, then it claims to have finished but only produces half of the files (instead of VTS_01_1, VTS_01_2 VTS_02_1 etc. It only gives me VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB and thats it). I really like this program and if it worked consistently would be happy to keep using it, but it simply doesn't work sometimes and thats annoying. If someone has used a program similar to this then I would be more than happy to try it.

I have also TMPGEnc DVD Author many moons ago and again found it fairly basic. A few more features than Nero, but still not what I am after.

Can anyone recommend a good DVD authoring program out there? Something similar, or with similar features to DVD Lab would be great!

2. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

WinAVI works great for me, but maybe some others out there to try.

3. droxford

droxford Member

I've been using Adobe Encore. I have found it to be better than the ones you've mentioned. But I still feel like it's just 'okay'... lots of room for improvement.

Something tells me that there's a better program out there, but I haven't found it yet.

4. droxford

droxford Member

WinAVI is a video converter, not a DVD-authoring app.

5. droxford

droxford Member

EDIT: I've been using Adobe Encore 1.x. I just checked Adobe.com and it looks like 2.0 is better.

6. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

blah, i just want to convert them and burn them. Don't really care about menus and stuff :p

7. droxford

droxford Member

I convert-and-burn for my own stuff. I author family video DVDs that I share with family members.

And Adobe Encore 2.0 looks pretty damn sweet, actually. I hope it will load an existing (ripped) menu (though I doubt it).

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

9. Crudder

Crudder Member

Although I haven't used them myself, I've heard great things about MyDVD (Roxio and Sonic).

When I had to create some DVDs from AVI, I used DVDflick to author them the first time and then used TPMGenc Authoring Works 4.0 to create the menus. This was the only way I could do it so that I could fit 3 hours of shows onto the DVD.

Besides these, I'm not really sure what features you are looking for.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I use DVD Architect for big productions, but for quick add-some-videos-and-quickly-make-a-family-video productions DVD Maker on Vista. :eek: