1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good-bye Dirk!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by daywalker02, Mar 24, 2019.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I believe there is no way that Dirk could have won without Tyson's defense. It was critical to taking pressure off off him on offense. He never one anything before him or after him either.

Jontro likes this.
  2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Why is everyone getting mad at @rockbox for bringing up Hakeem? He said nothing like "Dirk > Hakeem" or "Dirk had more to do than Hakeem." Smh a whole bunch of CFers hate just to hate.

I was like 5-6 when Rockets won b-2-b titles, so I'm not well versed in that history. But I do know that Dirk went up against LeBron / Wade / Bosh + a solid bench.

Dirk had consistently excellent play all throughout the playoffs, going through a really good Portland team (Aldridge + Roy), the Lakers (Kobe + Gasol + Bynum) and the Thunder (Durant + Westbrook + Harden) just so they could then face the Heat.

Just like all you posters think rockbox is somehow diminishing Hakeem by praising Dirk, let's get it right - Dirk is the sole reason that the Mavs won the title that year. Not Tyson Chandler, not old Jason Kidd, not old Jason Terry.

Hakeem was great. Dirk was also great.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let’s not forget that Ryan Bowen completely dominated Dirk Nowitzki whenever they matched up... Facts.

4. Buck Turgidson

Otis Thorpe.

whiskeyred and tycoonchip like this.
  5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

**** Cuban and his old workhorse.

6. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

By himself? He had the greatest player of all time Lebron Frickin James helping him in that series.

7. Chamillionaire

Go back and watch Jason Terry in the series. He definitely contributed.

8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Totally my bad! Thorpe had that Allstar year in 92.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Why are Rockets fans so sensitive about this. Of course Dirk had role player contribute. Did Hakeem not have Horry, Elie, MadMax, Thorpe ... ? They were role players but they contributed a lot in winning the championship. That does not diminish Hakeem's feat of doing it as the lone star on the team. And yes, Jason Terry was a role player too.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nope but injuries make it hard not to consider retirement.

Either at the end of this season or next season.

11. jowman

jowman Member

F the mavs and everything associated and F dallas.

Good player but his retirement is not relevant to rockets. Sorry just can’t get sentimental for these older guys retiring, never cared for them and not going to start cause they are retirng. Nothing comes close to Kobe’s nauseating love fest on his last year.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Not really. He's a legit HOF player. It's just the Mavs fans- they're assholes.

This is a misnomer. Otis Thorpe made the All-Star Game in the 91-92 season. He was a very good player.

13. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

[​IMG]

14. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

I really hate giving kudos to any player that is not a Rocket, heck even ex-Rockets (looking at you Corey Brewer...:confused: ..:D) ... But after seeing this picture of him as Lurch, he has grown on me!! If this is his last hurrah, then I wish him well!!

[​IMG]

15. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

Idk why it's so hard for people here to give other NBA players props... Do they actually like basketball, or do they just care about the Rockets? Lol

AroundTheWorld and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  16. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Yep he is a HOF and they still overrate him over that.

BamBam likes this.
  17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

If I'm drafting a new league with a pick of every NBA player ever, he's making my fourth team. That's top 50. He's 7', has post moves and can shoot the three. If they're saying he's on the GOAT starting five, they're smoking crack, but he's absolutely an amazing player.

18. naldodiaz

naldodiaz Member

in recent years, he's been the only Mav that I can certainly say I respect as a player, much like Tim Duncan for the Spurs.

AroundTheWorld and Vivi like this.
  19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think Dirk is great.

If you think that lessens my Rockets fandom, well, imo, fans that are so myopic about only their own team and players develop a biased and not well rounded view.

When one thinks about players that "changed the game" over time, Dirk is definitely in that category.
    As is Steph. MJ. Harden. KD isn't... he's the natural extension of Dirk. Duncan isn't. He was the natural extension of DRob or Hakeem. KG wasn't... didn't have an offensive game really. Lebron isn't. Top 3 all time player... sure, but to the extent he has "changed the game" it's by simply being athletically bigger and more athletic than anyone basically ever, and then employing advanced techniques to stay healthy as long as he has... and maybe then by thinking about how he has changed the approach to free agency for superstars a bit.

But Dirk was really the first star hybrid big. Steph = quick trigger 3 point efficiency. Harden = analytics poster boy + step-back.

If I think about where the NBA was 15 years ago vs. where it is now and where it will be in 5 years, I think about Dirk, Steph and Harden. Dirk starts the "decline" of the traditional big, which has turned into a morphing of the traditional big. Steph took what was already the trend and exploded it. And Harden enthusiastically embraced math in a quest to eliminate the mid-range and simplify offense to PnR plus space/shooters...

Fortunately, I'm old enough to have watched Hakeem with enough thought to tell you, unequivocally, Hakeem vs. Dirk favor Hakeem no questions asked. Hakeem was a big that could guard the perimeter. He'd struggle against Steph and Harden, too, but he'd be as good - better - as the best perimeter switching bigs today. And of course, Dirk couldn't stop Hakeem.

But the NBA is a 5 on 5 game, with benches. Dirk catches WAY WAY up when that is factored in. Doesn't pass Hakeem, but he gets close.

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Appreciating greatness doesn't not do anything to lessen your fandom. It's why I'm frustrated that others can't see the season James is having. You don't have to like any of these guys, but damn well sure respect them.