1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Going Down Under....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Fyreball, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

No, not like that you pervs......although if things go right on this trip, who knows? ;)

Starting next Tuesday, I'll be going to Australia for about 2 weeks, and I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions as far as things to do, eat, see, etc. Basically, I'll be spending 5 days in Brisbane, 5 days in Cairns, and 5 days in Sydney. I've done some research on lonelyplanet and similar websites, and I've gotten some good pointers. I know Brisbane has some great live music places which I definitely want to check out, Cairns has some awesome cliff diving and skydiving which I'm stoked about, and Sydney is just plain amazing..... but maybe you guys had some other things in mind I could do. Thanks!

2. rubytuesday

rubytuesday Contributing Member

should've done new zealand instead!!

3. Fyreball

Well, I'm hoping this isn't the only time in my life that I'll be making my way down to that part of the world, so since I had an opportunity to go down to Australia right now, I figured I might as well make the best of it, and really see it properly.

4. Shaud

Shaud Member

Nope I refuse to eat the box.

5. Christopher

Christopher Member

If you are going to Brisbane you MUST go to a Brisbane Broncos game. If you are there are the right time, go to the State Of Origin game, also in Brisbane.

While you are in Brisbane it might be worth a quick trip down to the Gold Coast for a day.

In Sydney you can't go wrong doing any of the major tourist things. I know its boring advice in that regard, but every person I know that comes here to Sydney just loved all the main tourist stuff.

6. Cam_Bron_James

I'm from Melbourne, so hopefully i'm qualified to answer this....Brisbane is a grat city, loads of beaches to surf, great night life, really great city. Cairns is stunning, really relaxed place....You won't burn in the sun, you wil tan. Sydney is all hustle and bustle....pretty average place to be honest....but i hope you have a great time!!!

7. Fyreball

Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely planning a trip to the Gold Coast.....forgot to mention that. What are the Brisbane Broncos? Rugby? Australian rules football?

8. dockerland

dockerland Contributing Member

Depending on what weekends you are in each place I am sure you can catch a rugby league game in Brisbane or Sydney or an AFL game in the same locations. As a personal preference I would lean towards the AFL game, a much better spectacle :D

9. Cam_Bron_James

Bronco's are a Rugby League team.

10. Christopher

Christopher Member

Rugby League champ. Its the biggest sport on the east coast of Australia.

The stadium in Brisbane is Suncorp Stadium. Its a really good ground, probably the best for atmosphere we have in Australia to be honest. It will be a good way to experience Australian sport.

I'm pretty sure you can get a train down to the Gold Coast by the way, should be cheaper than any other transport to get there.

As for Sydney being average...please....and from a Victorian. There is a reason Sydney is on EVERYONES list of places to go in Australia! :cool:

11. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

I'm not from Melbourne and have to say Sydney is ordinary, very over rated but its always good to see stuff like the bridge and opera house in person. I think you will enjoy Queensland, heaps to do there and if you are after some Aussie beaver head down to the Gold Coast and get amongst some of the bimbos there.

12. Fyreball

Best advice yet. Haha, just kidding, but seriously, thanks for all the suggestions guys! If anyone's got anymore, keep em comin!