1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Go ahead and give the money to Capela and lock him up.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jcmoon, May 12, 2017.

1. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

He's the only untouchable.

Trade harden with his ticket-selling value along with ryan anderson and his bloated contract to the knicks or lakers who can afford to go over the salary cap to pair a real superstar with him, so that they can bring harden off the bench as a six man, where he belongs. If we can get a top 3 unprotected, a good young player, a future 1st, and a high second round pick, you got to do this deal all day, every day. add any other of our bargain contracts to make this work.

harden is probably going to opt out after two years to get one more big contract. that means we need to trade him this summer or next summer or risk losing him for nothing. he may not want to resign here anyways once the whole city turns on him, and then he can just go to New york or LA himself.

Capela has got two more years before someone is going to give him a max contract, so we might as well lock him up since he's our best player anyways, and an all-star right now. If he can develop a consistent fifteen footer or a post game working with hakeem, he'd be a superstar, two years later, twenty more pounds of muscle, with more skill.

If we don't trade harden now, his trade value may go down in another year. He's not going to get any better, its only a question of how many more years of his prime he has, before he's loses his first step. In another year, it'll be harder to trade him, because the other team will know they only have one more year before he hits the market.

So now is the time to get rid of him and anderson's bloated contract who is only going to get worse with time.

2. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Only way u get rid of Andersons contract is if u add Capela in the deal.

Capela should and will be locked up. Get ready to see that 100 mill deal for him.

FTW Rockets FTW likes this.
  3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

4. jcmoon

we can add beverly's good contract. New York or LA is willing to overpay for star-power.

glynch and RasaqBoi like this.
  5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Capela was damn good this season. Played his way into being an enticing Rubio trade chip.

6. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Lol capelas good but getting rid of harden and building around capela is so knee jerk

7. jcmoon

is that right? he's already one of the best centers in the league. In two years, harden is going to want 35-40 million a year, starting? we are going to have to choose to pay one or the other. and we all know, les aint payin no luxury tax. Anyways, the only way to get rid of anderson packaged with harden, whose ticket-selling value surpasses his 24 million dollar salary at this point.

8. basketballholic

Not worth my time anymore. People that are pumping Capela and wanting to extend him at $100 million are nuts. Offer him 4/30 to start. If he doesn't agree at 4/40 or less, then shop and ship him. He's a JAB. Just another big. Or just another Bambi. However you want to take JAB. He's not a core player on a championship team. Fools gold.

BigShasta likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Should they sign Clint Capela to an extension or wait?

Pelton:
    Unless Capela is willing to take a huge discount -- something in the range of $10 million a year -- I'd wait for him to reach restricted free agency. While that might cost the Rockets some extra salary, it means less risk and allows them to take advantage of his small $7.0 million cap hold as a restricted free agent (RFA).

Engelmann: That's dependent on the price Capela's agent gives them. And there is risk for Houston either way. Given that Capela is just 22, chances are he's going to further improve his numbers. So a team eager to get him from Houston might throw the max at him next summer.

Herring: I love Capela, and his fit here as Harden's pick-and-roll partner, but would probably wait. See whether this team can consistently contend with the current roster, and see where these players take you first. If you have to spend big next year to keep him as a RFA, so be it. But don't pull the trigger now when there may be a better move out there for you between now and then.

MacMahon: Capela has played his way into a huge contract. Young rim protectors who average double-digit points without demanding the ball get paid. The Rockets would be wise to wait, though. It's not that Capela needs to do anything more to convince them that he can be a core player for years to come. It's that Houston can benefit by waiting to make that financial commitment to Capela -- maintaining cap space for 2018 -- and has no risk of losing him as a restricted free agent. The price will be high either way.

Haberstroh: Wait. Tabling it until next offseason will offer them flexibility in free agency and allow them to chase free agents without him eating the cap. Capela is an outstanding young player, who fits perfectly in their system, but there's little upside in locking him in now.

10. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

This is knee jerk, we all knew the Spurs were a good match up for Capela but he struggled against the Thunder. He's not the guy you want to build your team around, that's absurd. Solid player, showing improvement but there's no way he will ever be the guy you build a team around in order to contend.

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Capela is untouchable?

I see we've hurried through all the stages of denial and have moved quickly to hysteria?

12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Capela was good this season, but I definitely wouldn't label him untouchable. He's way too soft around the rim, definitely needs improvement in that area.

Yung-T likes this.
  13. jcmoon

thanks for posting this...that's good stuff...i agree the price is going to be high either way...i guess another benefit of waiting is that he might get injured, like donatas. If we sign him sooner, he might agree to a lower salary. If he doesn't get hurt before then, i see no way possible way he doesn't get the max from some team. and in that senario, i don't see les paying him the max and also harden another max, bloated contract at the beginning of his decline. So we still need to trade harden now!

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think i agree with Haberstroh here...i like Clint and i do think he has still upside, but unless he's willing to sign for something a little higher than his cap holds (like Palton suggested) i'd wait....unless he's going to make a big jump next season i don't see teams throwing a max or something close to it to him tbh...George, Cousins, Westbrook and other interesting players like Exum, Smart are free agents next year, which is the last time we will be able to take advantage of Capela low salary...

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

But he's gonna get a max contract!

:rolleyes:

16. Perki-Perk

Perki-Perk Member

I believe Les has been quoted as "Having Plenty of money, but not enough championships". This is a very false rhetoric I'm not sure why you people keep trying to push it.

17. Perki-Perk

Perki-Perk Member

Would love a shot at Cousins to help in the Big Man area. Can you imaging him and Clint holding it down when the other team goes big?

basketballholic and Pen15clubber like this.
  18. Vivi

Vivi Member

At this point why not...tbh, i expect Hayward to sign with Boston or Utah (and watch out to the Spurs, they're a dark horse here imo), the Rockets will probably be in the position where they can choose between a good (but still expensive) signing like Gallo, which makes us better but not good enough, or just wait till next summer when Cousins, George and Westbrook are going to be free agents and teams like San Antonio and Boston should have no more cap space to sign them.

19. jcmoon

because he's a business man, but when has overpaid the luxury tax? i haven't really been keeping up with all that lately, but if he has, let me know....

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Vivi likes this.