1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Glenn Greenwald on the brink of revealing the depth to which the NSA is building an Orwellian state.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Northside Storm, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...wald-will-reveal-spying-on-us-muslims/373862/

http://www.valuewalk.com/2014/07/publication-of-us-citizens-who-are-nsa-targets/

http://gawker.com/what-happened-to-glenn-greenwalds-big-scoop-1598529606

Estimates have ranged up to 1.7 million Americans directly targeted, some for political reasons.

Thoughts?

2. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I suspect that the NSA would not hesitate to use its spying against even elected politicians or certainly those opinion makers who later become elected officials.

Certainly Hoover had his secret files that he used to threaten elected officials. Is there any reason to think that the NSA guys wouldn't do the same?

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Hard to have an opinion until I see the details, but my body is ready to be thoroughly outraged.

4. anonmau5

anonmau5 Member

Yikes!

1 person likes this.
  5. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Is Greenwald comparing matters of national security with a ****ing fireworks show? Isn't he supposed to be a SERIOUS JOURNALIST and not an entertainer?

6. False

False Member

Yup. It's a figure of speech called a metaphor. I too am OURAGED that someone who writes for a living would use metaphors in their discourse. Shame on you Mr. Greenwald!

1 person likes this.
  7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

That isn't very interesting at all. Muslims are who we should be targeting to stop Muslim terrorist attacks.

That they were also American is a big deal, but we already knew Americans were targeted.

If they were spying on people for no discernible national security reason, that would be a big deal.

8. Major

Major Member

Interesting. They were also all male terrorist attacks. Should we target all males?

They were also all human. Should we just target all humans?

Why is "Muslim" the right generalization point as opposed to "male" or "human" or "terrorist"?

9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Yes, any common pattern, human male Muslims as a starting population, then narrowed down further from there.

This is not a comment on the means used, merely the appropriateness of the targets.

10. Major

Major Member

So I assume you would agree that if we see a rash of groups requesting non-profit status after a USSC decision and many of the ones incorrectly doing so are new tea party groups, it would be smart and appropriate of the IRS to target new tea party groups for additional scrutiny?

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Dystopian/Orwellian governments are out in the open. The dystopian characteristics are in full view.

This is a different. This is sort of a subversive implementation of a concealed Dystopian state. Well at least dystopian from a surveillance perspective. They just didn't have the courtesy to tell us that big brother was watching.

1 person likes this.
  12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

STRAWMAN ALERT!!! :p

But I agree, it's stupid to generalize.

13. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

He states that he wants to "save the best for last". Uh, if Greenwald wanted to actually expose the evils of the totalitarian surveillance state or whatever, shouldn't he have started out with the worst abuses right up front?

14. False

False Member

No, not necessarily. If I thought the reaction would be bad and inhibit other planned disclosures or the information was important but might get lost, I would try whatever strategy I could to draw attention to it. He could be wrong in either his assessment of the importance of the information or in his strategy, but I don't think it gets to his journalistic integrity.

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Certainly not, that would get lost in the 24 hour news cycle. The way in which Greenwald has released all the information is a masterclass in how to counter the natural bias in the media. He has determined that what he releases is no good for the people who currently exert the most control over the media, whoever they may be. So he has had to release this information in a manner that makes it more difficult for them to control.

Morally, yes, it makes sense to release the big stuff first. But he's not playing a game of morals here, nor does he care to assert himself as a person who goes by the rules. He is simply trying to inflict as much damage onto a system he considers unjust by releasing new information about that system and letting people reasonably decide if they're ok with it. If they're ok with it - and signs sadly point to many people being accepting of it - then that's fine with him.

If he released the worst first, everything afterwards wouldn't seem so bad because popular media could more easily bury it. If he released it all at once, most of it would never be heard of.

1 person likes this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

They didn't commit their crimes in the name of humanity or in the name of masculinity. They committed them in the name of Islam.

That said, I am not a fan of some of the excesses of the NSA.

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Details of the XKeyScore and disclosures about the authors of this information is also available here:
    http://daserste.ndr.de/panorama/aktuell/NSA-targets-the-privacy-conscious,nsa230.html

18. Major

Major Member

I'm pretty sure they'd argue that they committed their crimes in the name of humanity and what God wants for all. But regardless, does this mean that all people of a group are suspect if people claim to be committing crimes in their name? When crazy people bomb an abortion clinic in the name of Christianity, do we treat all Christians as suspect as a result?

19. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

one day it's Muslims targeted. the next---???

What stops it from being any other group? Certainly not laws, it seems.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I am opposed to it, whether it's Muslims targeted or any other group.