1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gilbert Arenas: "This (Rockets) team will not be successful"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets11206, Aug 1, 2019.

1. smp

smp Member

When we want to know about bringing guns to locker rooms Gilbert is the person to ask. Otherwise I don’t really care what that guy has to say. Might as well listen to TMac about what works and doesn’t work.

don grahamleone and Htown Stros like this.
  2. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Who the f*** cares what a guy dumb enough to pull out a gun in a locker room thinks.

Cstyle42 likes this.
  3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You didn’t watch the five minutes and it’s obvious. Put in the work or leave it be. I’m right until you put in the work to prove otherwise. But you won’t be able to... he was awful.

That plus 2 had zero to do with his play.

(I like Faried and I want him on our roster all season and the next playoffs so I definitely don’t hate him. He was just awful against the Warriors and I’m tired of people claiming he was the answer.)

4. vince

vince Member

People have opinions, and naysayers may have valid points. But this isn’t a situation that the Rockets fumbled getting Davis, Kwai, Butler, George, Durant, Irving, Cousins, etc... Those players went where they wanted to go!

I know CP3 has a huge posee, and some folks might be irritated at the Rockets for exiling him to OKC, but Morey saw an opportunity he could not hesitate to embrace. I think it might even be CP3 relationship with Carmelo Anthony that might have drive big enough wedge on the team to cause distrust. CP3 looked disinterested or old, I can’t figure it out. Anthony knows he is out because more than likely Harden didn’t want him here after the trial run...

In paper, nearly every publication had last years Lakers ahead of the Rockets; Lakers didn’t even make the playoffs. Beware of the paper tigers.

I feel the Rockets are fielding a team capable of legitimately competing each and every night.

don grahamleone likes this.
  5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Alright Don... I watched his 5 mins...
    I saw a missed shot... I saw a rebound and an assist on a 3 to GG...I saw him boxing out... I saw a hockey assist for a Tucker 3... I saw Curry beat him off the dribble from the top of the key - and then PJ backed off on defending the rim...

Maybe the vids I'm watching are omitting parts... but doesnt look as atrocious as you've said...I did see tons of crappy d when he wasnt on the floor - uncontested layups, open 3 pt shooters, etc...

I'm just saying, nobody ever had a bad 5 minutes before getting comfortable and settling into a groove - and then play well? Maybe he'd have continued to "suck" against GSW - but we'll never know bc despite his contributions throughout the year (incl against GSW) MDA wasnt willing to play him through the rough patch and then continue to have confidence in him... Same thing with House...

As I mentioned earlier... Harden ended a couple seasons looking like total trash - but you look at his total body of work when deciding how to utilize him...

icewill36 likes this.
  6. kjayp

saw him grab a rebound in a crowd of 3 GSW players - and kick it to GG for a 3... in the last 30 sec of the first quarter... that was 3 points we prob wouldnt have gotten had a smaller guy been standing in the same
    spot...

this says 'all faried actions' - but its not... watched other highlight vids to see more - like Curry beating him off the dribble...

#106 kjayp, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  7. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Gilbert always keeps it real and he's 100% right. Tilman needs to spend money on a quality forward but he refuses since he wants to save as much LT as possible.

We're basically all in at this point and we can all agree on it but our owner isn't. You have to go over the top if you want to win a ring in this league unless you want to rely on luck (refs, injuries) and even then it's not guaranteed. Right now if we can S&T Shump for a quality forward, it will put us over the top.

We're one of the smallest teams vs the other contenders and we could really use the extra length.

kjayp and GotGame15 like this.
  8. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Not a fan AT ALL of Gilbert, but actually think the big man criticism is a fair one. PJ plays bigger than he is and with lots of heart, but damned if we dont have critical games where we dont come down with rebounds late, let alone how often we struggle with getting second chance shots vs. our opponents. The thing is we need bigs who are nimble and can shoot, and we have not managed to get one like that and it hurts us regularly. Draymond is a comparison, but Draymond is unique and, respectfully, much better than PJ.

Dont get me wrong, I love PJ as a player, but have thought for a long time that we need an upgrade at that slot.

kjayp likes this.
  9. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Who?

RichieBanks likes this.
  10. TheSource

TheSource Member

As long as we rebound we will be fine

11. don grahamleone

I appreciate you actually looking for the minutes, but I can assure you that the vid you posted were the extent of his highlights and they were ALL on the offensive end.

We needed defense and defensive rebounds. He did none of that.

Be honest, did you get to see all 5 of the minutes he played or just that highlight you posted? Because his 5 minutes on the floor included like 6-8 defensive possessions and he was awful on that side. That one Curry highlight where he leaves his feet isn't the half of it. (Again, I really appreciate that you tried because it was a huge pain in the butt for me to find his minutes. I know it took an effort to even find his highlights if that's all you did, which is a lot but not quite enough for this discussion. It took me well over an hour to write my post about him. That footage is pretty buried. I used my NBA League pass to find all of it.)

Edit: You did admit that some parts were clipped out, but how much was cut out? Like over 50% of the minutes played? How much did you see on defense? Especially before the shots went up?

#111 don grahamleone, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  12. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

See, I think Moreys job is to build a team that fits his chosen coaches philosophy. If it doesn't he needs to find a different coach.

13. topfive

topfive CF OG

Lately there seem to be a lot of former NBA players whose careers ended before they were ready for it, who now want to take **** about the team that dumped Melo after 10 games last year.

Coincidence? I think not.

14. solid

solid Contributing Member

Opinions vary.

15. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Still that question:

Why the hell Morey thinks his midgets can win championship?

16. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Still that question:

Why the hell Morey thinks his midgets can win championship?

17. kjayp

The clip posted was Faried's statistical contributions - pts, rebounds, assists...
    I watched another video which showed all the scoring plays (like Curry going around him from the top of the key for the layup...)
    I'm sure there were a couple more plays that didnt result in scoring - so they didnt make that video... but I viewed everything that had any scoring - or statistical contribution by Faried...
    so in looking at the majority of his time on the court... it wasnt just totally horrendous... not good - but about bad as everyone else's defense...

In your other thread about faried, somebody posted the video where Curry went around him from the top of the key for an easy layup... I broke that video down... saying that if we can only put guys on the court that Curry cant take off the dribble - thats severley limiting our options... plus that play was horrible all around... Faried got beat, CP3 left his man on the arc to back Green, while PJ was in position to help and contest the layup - but didnt... it was like there was no plan for help defense if Faried (or anyone for that matter) got beat off the dribble - poor coaching... That entire game was horrible defense... open shooters, easy layups... just poor game planning on the defensive end - regardless of who was on the floor...

The point I keep making is... regardless of how 'bad' Faried was for all of 5 minutes... you dont just eliminate any potential contribution he can make for the series based on 5 minutes... especially after seeing the benefits he had provided over the course of his time with the team... and I dont even think it was a continuous 5 minutes he was on the court - that was 2 separate stints... what kind of flow or rhythm is the guy gonna get in a couple 2-3 minute stints?

Same thing with House... a few defensive gaffes - and he's relegated to the bench...

Where's the MDA 'confidence in his players?' - I guess that just pertains to chucking 3s... lol

18. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

Every good offensive center always dominates Clint so he makes some good points. I dont trust him his confidence gets shook so easy and he cant keep up. He makes trapping such a viable strat against the Rockets as well. Clint has no idea what to do with the ball unless its a dunk. This team needs to trade for Marc Gasol or our frontline is going to get absolutely owned in some of these matchups

19. don grahamleone

Again, if you're watching highlight videos, you're missing quite a bit. We needed defensive rebounds and defense. He provided neither over the stretch of 7 or 8 defensive plays. I see your point, but the full video of his 5 minutes shows a complete picture. (don't forget you're review highlights, not the game.. there's a huge difference) The guy showed no vigor or spirit. He did nothing extra. He didn't hustle. He shot a long two. He was not helping the team do what it needed to do to win. That's why he was on the bench.

He was immature about coaching. MDmA knows what he needs from guys and if they don't do it, they're not going to work out. He didn't work out for that series. He took a personal day during the middle of the biggest moment the Rockets would face. It all spells a story of why he only played 5 minutes. He did absolutely nothing for the team on defense. And defense is what we needed from him. That's the end of the story, but for some reason people keep acting like it would've for sure happened if he was given more of a chance. He was given 5 minutes and he proved what he would do.

I'd give him another contract for this year, but he ****ed up pretty bad that game. Looking at his highlights just plain old isn't enough... just like his contributions just plain old weren't enough to keep him on the floor. Defense, defense, defense.. who cares about an offensive rebound and an assist (one single play in 5 minutes[you mentioned points as a contribution, but he never scored a single point.]).

(And that offensive rebound was almost zero to do with effort.. the ****ing ball landed directly above him which allowed him to outjump the 3 people around him. That was good, but lucky. We needed more.)

Just an additional note: I did what you did at first. I watched the highlights and asked myself 'why'. Why didn't the guy play more. Then I dug deeper and found my answer. I've asked you to do the same, but you're refusing for some reason. I don't know why you won't, but I also wondered why Faried played without real vigor. I don't know why for either.