1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gilbert Arenas: "This (Rockets) team will not be successful"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets11206, Aug 1, 2019.

1. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

This season will come down to rebounding no doubt about that.

I’d love to add a true PF to this team.

We always want wings and I get it but if we added a PF even if just backing up Pj. We could run a PJ a little at the 3. He’s a true wing player that was moved to PF on this team to play one team that’s not that one team anymore.

I’d love to see PJ get more minutes at the 3 and have us add a true 6’9-6’10 PF who can rebound.

Serge Ibaka would be really good on this team right about now.

But really like everyone has said it’s all about rebounding for this team. If we can just be middle of the pack on rebounding we’ll
    Nab the 1 seed imo.

The actually D I think will be fine, gotta close the possession with a board though.

Offense is going to be fine.

When has a Rockets team with Harden not been a top 5 offense when he’s on the court?

I don’t understand the pessimism with this team.

We won 55 games with no cp3 no Russ no tucker rivers house or green 3 years ago.

It was harden Gordon Ariza Clint bev ryno brewer dekker and nene

3 of those guys couldn’t even get playing time last year for different teams and Nene is I guess retired.

If Hardens playing your winning 50+ games.

Add Russ who won’t miss 20+ games like cp3 with rivers and house playing the whole season.

I find it hard to believe this team won’t win a ton of games.

2. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I don’t give a **** what finger guns thinks. All the naysayers will be eating crow soon enough.

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

moreys job is to instill a winning reg season and playoffs philisophy on the coach and team

and trade or fire anyone whos not on the same page

4. Texanstradamus

Some of his points are true but I don’t get what means by talent drop off that’s always gonna be the case ....some players won’t be as good as others but compliment well

5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

basically what I've been sayin about the lack of size... and therefor boxing out and rebounding... points in the paint... rim protection... PJ should be splittin time 50/50 tween pf and sf and add a true pf to the mix...

but i get told it's all about spacing and 3>2 and i dont understand 'today's NBA'....

RichieBanks likes this.
  6. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’d rather have guys that can play then guys that can rebound.

Kenneth Faried is the greatest college rebounder of all time. /Unplayable. The story was the same for Josh Smith against GSW.

Size and length is great, If the guy can actually hang. (And those guys usually make a ton of money...)

7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

If only MDA would have noticed all the tall athletic rebounders that are also competent shooters and defenders who were flooding our bench we may have faired a little better last year.

Oh wait..... most NBA teams don’t check EVERY SINGLE box EVERY SINGLE year?

Weird.

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I guess everyone in the league sucks minus the lakers according to this guy. Arenas went to high school in California.. coincidence?

tmoney1101 likes this.
  9. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Came here to **** on arenas but as far as the issues he talked about this is straight facts

10. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

well yea no **** lol. Thats the reason why most nba teams dont win

11. don grahamleone

The guy couldn't even put together a solid thought or argument for an hour, but okay. Only thing he said worth mentioning is that Harden should've been MVP last season.

12. kjayp

its about a balance... the right mixture of various skills being melded together...

I dont believe Faried was unplayable - although thats the fallback narrative to try to explain why we didnt use one of our best energy players in a series where we looked lathargic at times and needed rebounds...

He played 5.22 mins and was +2 in a game we lost by 6 - for the series...
    prevoius games vs GSW
    3/13 13.20 mins +3 lost by 2
    2/23 33.11 mins -2 won by 6

...thats unplayable?

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. kjayp

I'd have like to have seen Trez after Nene went down a couple years back... but no, better we let Harden defend LMA and Pau...
    Last year Nene was underplayed when available...
    and yes, I think Faried's energy and rebounding would have outweighed any downside against GSW....

fattz and hakeem94 like this.
  14. rockets11206

rockets11206 Member

Before I created this thread I thought exactly the way you did. But the issue is that the addition of Ty Lawson ended up being a huge blunder and we fell to the 8th seed. I think we made the right move but Harden on his own is a 50 W team, Westbrook with him can create issues with spacing, scoring, fit in general.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Those are fair criticisms, but imo EG should be coming off the bench and House should be starting at the 3. He’s what like 6’7” and athletic, plays solid D and can hit the 3. PJ should also be coming off the bench. Honestly, I wouldn’t mind bringing back Ryno, he can probably be had for cheap at this point. I actually thought he was solid as a stretch 4. He’s got size, range, and was a decent rebounder, especially on offense. Obviously, I prefer someone better but if it comes down to it, Ryno for the vet min isn’t the worst option..

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. kjayp

I think we could have Faried a little better - with better roster utilization...

17. Audioout

Audioout Member

A great shooting small team totally negates a larger team. We saw this several years in a row with Golden State and ourselves. Why suddenly will this year be any different?

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kenneth Faried’s entire career is sample size enough. How many head coaches have deemed him unplayable now? It’s not a fallback narrative,

it is THE ONLY narrative, unfortunately.

Regardless, we can’t waste our time on guys the coach won’t trust, doesn’t matter the size.

jordnnnn likes this.
  19. don grahamleone

You didn't watch the minutes he played. Watch what he actually did during those 5 minutes and your stats won't mean near as much.

jordnnnn likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From Zero to Hero back to Zero.