1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Get rid of the wire cam [ABC/ESPN] and Dick Stockton [TNT]

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Nick, May 10, 2007.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Two things that have annoyed me to no end from two different networks:

ABC/ESPN's constant use of the HORRIBLE wire cam, and TNT parading the 95 year old Dick Stockton to call one of the most memorable series they've EVER had.

The wire cam was neat... back in 19-freakin-97. The technology is exactly the same useless piece of crap it was a decade ago, and its magnified even more now since the advent of HD technology.

How does the wire cam add to anybody's experience? You can't see the whole court, its constantly shaking, its such a dramatic change you can't help notice it, and they start using it in RANDOM stretches that always seem to coincide with a critical part in the game.

As for Dick Stockton... if anybody has watched any of the GS games, how do you ignore the blatant amount of factual errors, wrong names, wrong calls, and overall "cluelessness" he's shown. Even Summaral, at his end, was more professional.

Okay... rant done.

2. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

I agree on the horrible wire cam view. Horrible, horrible view! It makes me so dizzy! :mad:

I camplained many times already but ABC uses it more and more as if it recieves many possitive feedbacks on this.

3. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

I hate hate hate hate hate that camera. It screws up all the angles so you have no clue what is going on.

4. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Yeah Stockton probably flubs up names 30 times a game, he's burnt out in my opinion, done too many games in his time. Reggie Miller is a snoozer too, almost Drexler-like

5. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

I don't know, I might be different, but I like that camera. I get to see all the angles the players make when they make a move and such. You get to study their moves easier and see the spacing. To me it just puts me close to the action and that's what i like.

6. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

wire cam sucks. view is OK every once in awhile but when they go back and forth the damn thing shakes more than 2 horny teenagers in an old pickup truck gettin it on.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You can't see the angle of their shots, you can't see what players are doing on the far side of the court... its like watching basketball through a peep-hole.

If they wanted people to be "close" to the action, set up stationary cameras from the floor seats, and shoot a view from there. I just hate the constant shaking that the wire cam causes... if they can eliminate the shaking, and give a better angle, I can agree that its cool to see things close up.

But they haven't been able to improve the technology since 1997... and it looks even worse now that they have HD.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wire cam is great in football, not so much in basketball.

DD

9. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Which one is wire cam? Is it when the camera is right above the players?

10. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

True I love when they do MNF with the wire cam. Very fun to see guys go to the end and the angle provides a great view of the the field ahead cause nobody cares what's behind the player. Makes you feel like your going through the air with the ball on those long passes to open wide receivers. Just doesn't translate into basketball cause the akwardness of the camera angle.

I would love to see some of those steady cam things they were at the dunk contest. I mean just get close to the action sort of like a first person view.

11. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

I also hate how TNT takes forever to update the score after a basket.

And often times they get it wrong for a couple possesions.

12. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Nick, I'm so glad someone brought up Dick Stockton. I've been watching sports all my life and I've never known how anything like Stockon could survive all those years as a broadcaster.

The first time I caught Stockton's mistakes was back in the mid 70s or late 70s, he was doing a Minnesota Viking game and he called Amah Rashad.....Sammy White! I dismissed that as just a mistake that anyone can make.

I was so wrong in my assumption, Stockton went on for the next 30 plus years doing the exact same thing, if you would get a hold of his game tape, you could find literally dozens and dozens of mistakes, mistakes that would cause you to shake your head, and believe that this man has an ongoing case of dementia.

And the funny part about Stockton is, I have never once heard an apology from him for screwing up,or his broadcasting partner ever tried to correct him, I found both phenomenas extremely incredible and the fact that Stockton can get away with it all these years.

I actually look forward to a Dick Stockton's telecast and count the amount of times he ****ed up.

13. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

the main reason the camera sucks is because it's always freaking shaking! like some handheld camera.

2nd u feel so far from the court. if they going to use it..they need more close up towards the center.

the announcer guy has made the series so boring.

14. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Yeah Dick Stockton gets everything wrong during the games.

15. sohrab

sohrab Member

ABC is horrible in general

I've given up on them

16. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Wow and I thought it was me who only noticed this kind of stuff. I remember in the Mavs/Warriors series a few times watching the Warriors hit a 3 then Devin Harris push the ball and get the layup only to see Baron Davis throw it the length of the field to Jackson for a wide open 3. While all this was going on TNT was stuck on getting the 1st score right and took almost several plays later to fix the score. LOL what are these guys using some kind of punch in score system where they got pull a dozen levers before the score changes?

17. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

My favorite camera view is the main angle (I need perspective) and a third-row level shot from near the left baseline. Great for perspective.

Nobody's like the wire cam for ten years, it sucks to watch, and it's a pain in the ass for people like me trying to watch the game from up in press row. The camera itself gets in the way.

I hope the wire snaps someday, the camera falls and takes out the Phoenix Gorilla (who turns out to be ok, save for emotional distress), the Gorilla sues Disney, and they never use it again.

18. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Replace "Phoenix Gorilla" with "Carlos Boozer" and "emotional stress" with "broken testicle" and I'm right there with you.

19. Jeffster

Jeffster Contributing Member

I like Dick Stockton. He's probably getting a little old for this, but he's still better than any of ESPN's announcers. Marv is still the king, though.

20. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

Even during the Jazz-GS series when the action was going back and forth and there were huge baskets, its like Stockton was like 2 plays behind the action and was lifeless during exciting stretches of the game. Sucks the life right out of the basketball game, he is less horrible on NFL on FOX with football being slower paced.

Mike Breen is not bad at play by play, Marv Albert the best and he is good at football too, Kevin Harlan is one of the best, and of course Gus Johnson.