1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Georgia Lt. Gov. Cagle threatens Delta after NRA decision

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/georgia-lt-gov-cagle-threatens-delta-after-nra-decision/707562556

ATLANTA - Delta's decision to cut marketing ties with the National Rifle Association has prompted some Georgia Republican lawmakers to question whether the Atlanta-based airline should get a tax cut on jet fuel.

At least three GOP candidates for governor recently condemned Delta for joining more than a dozen U.S. corporations that have ended partnerships with the NRA after a deadly school shooting in Parkland, Florida.

Georgia Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle took to Twitter Monday to voice his displeasure with Delta’s decision.

“Corporations cannot attack conservatives and expect us not to fight back,” Cagle said.

Channel 2’s Richard Elliot is talking with Cagle Monday afternoon. WATCH Channel 2 Action News at 5 p.m. for a LIVE report.

[​IMG]Casey Cagle

✔@CaseyCagle

I will kill any tax legislation that benefits @Delta unless the company changes its position and fully reinstates its relationship with @NRA. Corporations cannot attack conservatives and expect us not to fight back.

1:02 PM - Feb 26, 2018

The news comes as Delta appeared close to convincing lawmakers to restore a lucrative sales tax exemption on jet fuel.

That proposal is part of Gov. Nathan Deal's larger tax overhaul, which has passed the House and awaits Senate input.

Delta said in a news release that the company's decision "merely confirmed its neutral status" in the national debate over guns.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

--------------

So.
    1. How is this legal?
    2. How is this not an abuse of his office?
    3. How is an attack on the NRA an attack on the conservatives?
    4. How is this an attack when a company is just doing its business?

I mean seriously I thought conservatives were all about government being seperate from business.

Rocket River

Deckard and mdrowe00 like this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

3. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Good news! Props to Delta for going after NRA as their right to do and good news for removing corporate tax breaks. Fack Cagle for abusing his power and selling himself like the political w**** he is. Actually all politicians are whores for corporations so fack them all.

Hakeemtheking, edwardc and deadlybulb like this.
  4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

This is a win-win.

ipaman and B-Bob like this.
  5. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

So these Republicans that are "fighting back" but how much money have they received from the NRA?

Seems like an extortion thing. Stay in bed w/ the NRA or else we cut your tax cuts. Isn't that called quid pro quo?

Rocket River and B-Bob like this.
  6. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

#MAGA

7. Buck Turgidson

Huh. Societal forces lead corporations - in their own best interests - to be better public actors in the eye of their customers.

Republicans are outraged.

8. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

wonder if airlines can move their hubs out of Georgia, I bet plenty of other states are willing to have them relocate with sweet deals.

Hakeemtheking and JuanValdez like this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Wow. I can't believe this is the country I live in.

Give perks to a right wing advocacy group or we, the state government, will change your tax status.

Once you get this stupid and bereft of any respect for real governance, I think it's really hard to go back. No kidding: if all the evidence is telling us we are royally ****ed, then as a scientist, I have to start thinking we are royally ****ed.

Meanwhile, I guess Delta could move.

10. pirc1

I am betting the state of Georgia will not want to piss off Delta.

Deckard likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

I missed it, where the **** did *that* come from?

I liked this one: “Corporations cannot attack conservatives and expect us not to fight back”. Sounds like friendly-fire casualties to me.

But no, Delta is not leaving Atlanta as an airport hub. Ever.

12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i agree. weird powerful lobby get's publicly shamed, some corporate welfare is cut, corrupt politician willingly exposes himself. by jove, it's a win-win-win situation!

your shock is surprising. this is the same "country" where a recently a nearly 1 trillion dollar market cap "left wing" corporation is having cities and states battle it out for who can give it the best welfare. and many here, hypocritically, are totally fine with it. eisenhower warned everyone in 1961, it's just gotten broader and worse since then.

13. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's become a national nervous breakdown amongst the GOP "true believers." They're freaking out. Mr. trump has a grip on their collective shirt tails, their world is starting to fall apart, and it's all being flushed down the toilet. The extremists are the turds, trump is that big wad of toilet paper, and they are all going down. With luck, the toilet won't get clogged. It's such a huge dump. A trump dump.

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Delta should never have gotten preferred tax treatment to begin with.

Live by the crony sword, die by the crony sword.

They wanted to get corporate welfare and lobby against the interests of citizens at the same time. Tough luck.

ipaman and No Worries like this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Til every citizen in Florida is a NRA supporter.

Because that would have to be the case in order for your **** logic to work because then I can turn around and say that Delta is FOR the citizens as I'm pretty sure there is a sizable population of Floridians who don't really appreciate the NRA...

I mean of course that's assuming you count those people has humans.

18. pirc1

If Delta says they want to relocate their hub, I am sure there will be tons of states lined up to give them huge tax breaks to relocate, if Delta is willing to take a hard line stance, Georgia will back down.

Deckard and Rocket River like this.
  19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Large businesses very often base their operations on the tax cuts they will receive from local and state governments. That is just the way it is.

Of course some people here think they are receiving tax breaks because they support the NRA or other Republican interest groups.

Hopefully Delta resists and calls their bluff. As much as I dislike GA, Atlanta is an important hub for Delta.

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No one here thinks Delta received their tax break because of the NRA.

DonnyMost likes this.